England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

How can you refuse to pick players like Nobel, Cresswell, Carroll and Defoe because they havnt featured for England for a while/or ever and then put Rashford in or Henderson and Wilshere who have just got back from injury or Delph who hasnt played and Sterling who has been shit. I know its only preliminary but the England team is a joke, take players who are in form and playing for their clubs.

Build a squad and team that work together and if that means dropping high profile names or regulars then so be it. Id prefer to see a team that give a shit and dont take a call up for granted.

Picking an England squad is a lose lose unfortunately. 

Strange to say this based on England history but we really are weak now in the centre half position.  This will be our downfall in the tournament, not what midfielders, forwards we pick. We will hurt teams going forward by will inevitably concede, just as we did to an unfit Suarez at the last World Cup. 

• Like 1

3 CB's is that it? Don't we have anyone else? What happened to Phil Jones, wasn't he meant to be the next big thing? John Stones looks like bambi at at the back in recent weeks.

Delph? FFS. I guess he'll be cut though, but Noble would have been a far better choice. Aside from that no real shocks? Full backs are decent (I guess Shaw wasn't considered due to his long term injury)

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Xela said:

3 CB's is that it? Don't we have anyone else? What happened to Phil Jones, wasn't he meant to be the next big thing? John Stones looks like bambi at at the back in recent weeks.

Delph? FFS. I guess he'll be cut though, but Noble would have been a far better choice. Aside from that no real shocks? Full backs are decent (I guess Shaw wasn't considered due to his long term injury)

Eric Dier is also cover at centre back as he can play there. I remember a time not so long ago when England were spoilt for choice at centre back it's amazing how shit we are now. We used to have loads. Where have they all gone?

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cahill is also useless without John Terry. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, KHV said:

Cahill is also useless without John Terry. 

Agree with this completely KHV. I know Roy wouldn't want to upset the squad, but would Terry have come back if asked? 

2 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Agree with this completely KHV. I know Roy wouldn't want to upset the squad, but would Terry have come back if asked? 

I doubt it. It's a shame as Cahill is not a leader and needs to be marshalled which is why he worked so well with Terry. Cahill is a quiet character and doesn't organise a defence, neither does Smalling. England's defence in the middle is a recipe for disaster IMO

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I can't recall ever seeing a weaker England team for a tournament.

Try the last world cup. And Euro 2012.

Two of the strikers have scored 50 league goals between them and Dele Ali could  be one of the stars of the tournament imo.

Yes the backline isn't great but what can you do. Rio, Terry, Campbell, Cole and Neville couldn't win anything for England so they'll just have to outscore teams.

I actually think this England team will do a lot better than people are predicting. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, KHV said:

Eric Dier is also cover at centre back as he can play there. I remember a time not so long ago when England were spoilt for choice at centre back it's amazing how shit we are now. We used to have loads. Where have they all gone?

England never won anything with them though so to me it's not a big problem.....as long as the right players are selected in attack.

Kane and Vardy have scored 50 goals this season between them so people can't serious claim England will struggle to score a goal at the euros, especially against Russia who seem to have an average age of 200 at the back.

You can honestly pick wholes in every single squad, no team has 23 world class players. France had Gignac in their squad who plays in the Mexican league ffs. And Giroud will probably be their starting striker. And I consider them the favourites.

Belgium have no decent full backs,apparently going to have to play Toby and Vertonghen there instead of at CB.

It's very true...big thing that was a worry was if you remember the goal England conceded v Italy when Balotelli drifted off Cahill's shoulder and headed  in at the back post....and then two years later Gomez scores exactly the same goal in the Germany game.

Cahill falls short at the very top level as does Smalling but what can England do...the only  other regular CB week in week out in the prem with consistant performances is Shawcross and he has 1 call up in 6 years.

But as I've said England with their attacking options should be scoring 7 goals minimum in the group stages v Russia, Wales and Slovakia. 

The England squad announcement is really just an excuse to vent a lot of spleen, isn't it.

There is literally not one player left out of this squad who could win us this championship.

Cresswell? Carroll? Defoe? Noble?

Not exactly an embarrassment of riches, is it.

Also, if there's even a chance Wilshere's fit, he has to go. Clearly one of our best players throughout qualifying and one of our most technically gifted midfielders. People just don't like him because he's a clearing in the woods that has been over-hyped by our media. He's still lightyears ahead of Delph, Drinkwater and Mark Noble for that matter.

Hopefully the Spurs lads can carry over their form and we make a go of it. We clearly don't have the best squad there, but stranger things have happened.

For the record, I'd like to see us play a diamond and start:

Hart

Walker

Smalling

Cahill

Rose

Dier

Wilshere

Barkley

Alli

Kane

Sturridge

Edited by Cizzler
  • Like 3

I'd like to see a diamond also but thats just to get Vardy in the starting 11. I'd rather see workman like midfield players either side of the diamond like Milner and Drinkwater. Dier at the base and Ali at the top. Barkley at best a sub.