England Euro 2016 Chat

andykeenan

If it was up to me I'd move heaven and earth to get Slaven Bilic. He is bad sh#t crazy and would kick this bunch into shape. 

RTE had some great stats about the teams England have beaten in knockout stages of major competitions since 1966.

Apart from Spain it was a very poor list. England basically have a long and storied history of bottling things.

19 minutes ago, TheAuthority said:

Jesus wept - Southgate the favorite to take over.

That would be like a continuation of the same theme.   Someone else said about picking name players out of form/position.    I do wonder how much of this comes from FA pressure to have NAMES in the team. 

I think we need to go foreign again and with someone not afraid to stick fingers up at the establishment and go their own  way.  Personally I would love Slaven Bilic. 

• Like 1

I dunno our complete lack of ability to be able to break teams down has really shown this tournament.  We should stop trying to create a team that can play through teams when they sit back,  just get it wide and put it in to a big man.  Against better teams play counter attacking football.    Stick to what you're good at and know your limitations.  

Meh,  I had no idea what our plan was from open play today was,  I don't think the players did either. 

18 minutes ago, 007√ said:

Just schedule a friendly against San Marino and you'll will be happy and saying "We're back!"

I thought us Scots had cornered the market on anti-English sentiment but you've taught us a thing or two tonight, 007.

Nothing but wumming of the highest order from you in this thread.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

I think Jarpie alluded to a major problem.

The premier league is a great watch but it's played so fast and end to end it dosen't produce home grown players that "think" Football.

We've seen the problems in this tournament, People whinging about teams parking the bus. However England simply don't produce players in that middle area who see threading a throughball past a packed defence as a challenge...y'know the sort Iniesta has done a few times in this tournament.

I just think at the prices people are paying they won't put up with kick and rush football and hitting it up to a big targetmen as the talented players like Payet and Coutinho got driven out.

English just don't produce those sort of players.

I think it goes deeper than that, I imagine that the players aren't taught how to "think" football and/or it gets coached out of them when they're playing for the youth teams. I know football and ice hockey are different sports, but we had basically very much the same problem in finnish hockey; we didn't produce the skillful and creative players for 10-15 years, till the finnish hockey federation took a serious look into how youth players are coached, and changed it. It took some years to take a root but we're again producing more skillful or creative players which we were lacking for like a 10-15 years, and our hockey has again more brighter future.

• Like 1