Promotion 2016/7

Jareth

Sadly i think its fitting that we are discussing delusion in the promotion thread. 

With only 31 days till the start of the season, i think promotion, certainly automatic promotion, is very, very ambitious. 

26 minutes ago, av1 said:

Sadly i think its fitting that we are discussing delusion in the promotion thread. 

With only 31 days till the start of the season, i think promotion, certainly automatic promotion, is very, very ambitious. 

barring newacstle have any other sides done some serious business? i dont think top 6 is ambitious at all

6 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

barring newacstle have any other sides done some serious business? i dont think top 6 is ambitious at all

Yes but we had so much more to do.

If you recall when Garde was sacked - one idea muted was to get the manager in early so he could get cracking with a squad revamp. I understand the reasons why that didn't happen - but equally I didn't think with a month to go - we would only have signed a CB from Bournemouth.

Auto promotion looks a very tall order IMO - we look upper mid table to me.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

we have signed one player and potentially 2 kids to go with the large amount of pricks we still have from last season

I think Top 6 is a bit ambitious with current squad

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

we have signed one player and potentially 2 kids to go with the large amount of pricks we still have from last season

I think Top 6 is a bit ambitious with current squad

A brutal but accurate assessment IMO. 

I think the amount of dross in the championship will paper over the cracks - keeping us within touching distance of the play offs 

I think I read somewhere that If Norwich and Newcastle doubled their points from last season they'd be in the Champions League, if we doubled ours we'd still be relegated and joint bottom of the table. We need to add more quality to the team and to get of to a good start to excorcise last season.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, useless said:

I think I read somewhere that If Norwich and Newcastle doubled their points from last season they'd be in the Champions League, if we doubled ours we'd still be relegated and joint bottom of the table. We need to add more quality to the team and to get of to a good start to excorcise last season.

That's just awful when you think about it.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I'm not sure I'm remaining optimistic had enough of thinking the worst all the time. New manager, new owner, new hope UTV

Exactly this. I'm done with being filled with self loathing, the good Doctor has filled me with Eastern promise! (That isn't a metaphor for man splooge FYI)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, hippo said:

A brutal but accurate assessment IMO. 

I think the amount of dross in the championship will paper over the cracks - keeping us within touching distance of the play offs 

I agree wholly as things stand. 

I doubt we're done in the market though. That would be criminally negligent. Now is not the time for final assessment.

• Like 2

We really need to crack on with the signings now, at least we should be getting two more in next few days but I want in players we know will hit the ground running and are proven in championship.

With respect Tshibola has played what 15 games for Reading so bit premature to think he can take this division by the scruff of the neck from central midfield like say a Will Hughes at Derby or Knockeart at Brighton.

I'd like to get a proven goalscorer in, someone like Bamford would be a positive step  for me.

I'd also try for someone like Charlie Adam. In last year of contract at Stoke and we've seen him have good spells of form for them in recent seasons. He chips in with goals and takes a good set piece.

People will say why would he move down a division and join us...well Gayle and Ritchie did that going to Newcastle. Nolan aswell moved to West Ham when they were relegated.

Edited by VillaChris
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I doubt we're done in the market though. That would be criminally negligent. Now is not the time for final assessment.

I agree we arent done but its 1 month until Sheffield Wednesday. new signings are going to need time to gel in so we really need be bringing in players soon though not just any players as that has got us in trouble we are currently in

• Like 1

It's going to be a tough season and we need some game changers in our team, i.e alan judge, ross mccormack ect.

Sheff Weds are going to be very tough in the opening game, very tough, especially with the addition of Steven Fletcher, we could have done with him in our side. It may take us or month or so to find our rhythm this season.

12 minutes ago, Reivax_Villa said:

It may take us or month or so to find our rhythm this season.

I agree but we cannot afford to have a gap between us and the other promotion chasers after a month or two because we really need to hit the ground running to try to wipe away the memory of all of those defeats last season. I do not want to see us outside of the top 6 this season and want us in the top 2 to stay as quickly as possible (as I'm sure does the Doctor).  

• Like 1

Everyone chill the **** out, the transfers will happen.

We are down the pecking order now and there are so many cogs in the chain, so we need to wait eg.

For Chelsea to sign Morata before they will loan us Bamford. 2 sets of agents, 3 clubs involved, lawyers, the FA, medicals, blah blah blah... these things aren't done overnight.

Its taken us 2 weeks to sign a kid from Reading and that's still not even complete yet.

Our signings will be castoffs from PL teams so we need to wait for the higher teams to sign their players.

Our sales will be teams looking to squad positions (eg. Richards -> Sunderland) so again we will need to wait to see what budget they have left over at the end of the window.

tl;dr - don't hold your breath

• Like 1

Promotion?

Would love it

champions?

no. we dont have a winning mentality

2nd?

no. We're not good enough (yet)

Playoffs?

our best chance as once we are settled a good end of season run might make 6th

One thing in our favour is that the top 10-12 will be so condensed many draws may occur allowing us a slow start and still not being too far behind 6th

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Yes - but its not going to be the mass exodus and influx that was predicted. To be fair thats never been RDM'S style. A striker and a wide man required for me.  Still think 7th or 8th. I just don't rate RDM that highly. I feel he will have the same problems Garde did.

Edited by hippo
  • Like 1

Â