The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

8 hours ago, sidcow said:

What's to stop someone at a Xia connected company saying something like "I really love that boardroom table,  I would love to buy it,  how does £100m sound?"

The argument would be, I assume, that it's a vastly over-inflated price paid by someone associated with the owner and that the excessive amount ought to be ignored for the purposes of the FFP loss cap (isn't that the argument that was made about Leicester's shirt deal?).

31 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

To me business ethics and morality come to the fore when people are suffering in some way.  That would be an issue for me.

Wouldn't that apply to the other teams who haven't got the opportunity/opportunities that we appear to be able to buy ourselves (takeover and all assumptions about it permitting)?

Btw, I'm not saying that any of this (sponsorship, FFP nonsense and so on) is clear cut or that it's an important moral issue of our time, I'm just trying to be a counter voice to comments such as:

Who gives a shit about the 'spirit' of the law?

and

i'm prepared to look the other way at a lot of dodgy shit

Edited by snowychap

16 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

No one died as a result of MPs' expenses cheats, doesn't mean it's OK. 

Bit of a difference when ones a criminal act the other is just breaking the glass ceiling rules! MCFC and PSG have broke FFP to get where they are now. Bournemouth got a roughly £10m fine for breaking it I'm sure they're gutted they did seeing as it's been worth £100m+!! Fortunately if we go straight back up it won't affect us so spend away Dr Xia then sponsor everything in sight to get us up amongst the big boys. 

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, snowychap said:

I obviously disagree with you.

Thing is I don't think this is a moral issue. If anything is immorral it's the ffp rules themselves which are set up to keep the rich clubs rich and keep the smaller clubs down and in their place whilst disguising themselves as a way of protecting clubs. 

We are actually fighting unfair rules trying to beat the system which is loaded against us succeeding. That sounds to me a far better fight to fight rather than lying down and saying oh well never mind. 

• Like 3

IMO only way ffp-style regulation works if it's set up like salarycaps in NHL which does really level the playingfield in my opinion, this current shitfest is even worse than what we had before so I wouldn't mind at all if we get creative circumvating it.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Morley_crosses_to_Withe said:

I doubt we'll be doing any Man City/PSG style breaking of the rules anyway. There might be a slight bending of the Championship FFP rules in the same way Bournemouth and Leicester did, but I think there will be some disappointed fans if they think we'll go down the Man City/PSG route. 

Nothing wrong with dreaming pal! We won't break championship FFP aslong as we go up then if the Dr Xia is serious we will have to break the PL FFP to get where he wants in a few years. Dream now whilst you can as the reality when it arrives may be a lot different. 

1 hour ago, AntrimBlack said:

Of course that is not ok, that is illegal, totally different. 

Actually, a lot of it wasn't illegal, which is why almost no-one went to jail. It was 'bending the rules', 'looking the other way at dodgy shit' and whatever else has been eulogised above. 

• Like 1

Who's that hitchens fella. Quick google says he was involved with Pompey and a vet surgeon? Maybe he could put Gabby down.

Probably just an administrator at an accountancy somewhere, happens quite a lot...

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

No one died as a result of MPs' expenses cheats, doesn't mean it's OK. 

What a bonkers comparison.

MP's are the cornerstone of society, are our representatives, and ARE expected (rightly or wrongly) to be virtueous.  Crucially, once elected we as individuals have no choice but to have them occupy that position. They can send people to die, their policies can ruin or make lives.

Football is a game.  A game.  A game every one of us can either watch, or not watch, by choice. That's it.  It has rules.  It doesn't have morals.  No more than a game of monopoly has morals.  I know the rules to Monopoly and use them to my advantage (well, I did as a youngster).........I know the rules of golf and use them to my advantage, and also suffer by them.  Morals and righteousness have absolutely nothing to do with it.  Now, if somebody personally doesn't want to be involved in a perfectly rule abiding, but, to them, 'morally' dubious activity regarding football, fair enough for their personal choice, but to suggest because they feel that way the Club would somehow be culpable is just nonsense IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, terrytini said:

What a bonkers comparison.

MP's are the cornerstone of society, are our representatives, and ARE expected (rightly or wrongly) to be virtueous.  Crucially, once elected we as individuals have no choice but to have them occupy that position. They can send people to die, their policies can ruin or make lives.

Football is a game.  A game.  A game every one of us can either watch, or not watch, by choice. That's it.  It has rules.  It doesn't have morals.  No more than a game of monopoly has morals.  I know the rules to Monopoly and use them to my advantage (well, I did as a youngster).........I know the rules of golf and use them to my advantage, and also suffer by them.  Morals and righteousness have absolutely nothing to do with it.  Now, if somebody personally doesn't want to be involved in a perfectly rule abiding, but, to them, 'morally' dubious activity regarding football, fair enough for their personal choice, but to suggest because they feel that way the Club would somehow be culpable is just nonsense IMO.

I don't understand this post. You seem to be saying you cheat at golf but play by the rules at Monopoly, and this proves something because . . .