The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

9 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

His time at Everton according to his Wikipedia page speaks very favorably of what he achieved during his time there however the array of "citation needed" littering the passage does put a slight dampener on it.....

That being said if even half of it is true he seems to know how to run a football club and is a far more qualified than Fox was.

His wiki page makes good reading. Seems his unpopularity was due to him being the only board member to face the fans - and he was trying to engineer a move from goodison.

Be happy if he is our CEO.

The fantastic "Swiss Ramble" wrote this article in late March, before the takeover:

"There seems to be no end to the misery that Aston Villa put their supporters through. The famous Midlands club, one of a select few to have won the European Cup, is stuck at the bottom of the Premier League table and look destined for a seemingly inevitable relegation, which would be the first time they had dropped from the top flight since 1987.

Manager Rémi Garde described securing safety as “an impossible mission that we have to make possible”, though it would not be a major shock if the Frenchman were to be given his marching orders any time soon, given their impotent form. In truth, it always seemed a 

strange decision to entrust Villa's fate to a man with no management experience in the Premier League.

Villa’s plight should not be overly surprising since they have struggled to avoid relegation in the last four seasons, culminating in finishing 17th in 2014/15, the club’s worst performance since the creation of the Premier League in 1992. Hopes of a better season had previously flickered during Villa’s run to the FA Cup Final, but a harsh dose of reality was administered by Arsenal during a 4-0 defeat at Wembley..."

http://swissramble.blogspot.se/2016/03/aston-villa-this-house-is-circus.html

Will be interesting to see his next article about us, especially since we now have a Swiss manager.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sne said:

The fantastic "Swiss Ramble" wrote this article in late March, before the takeover:

"There seems to be no end to the misery that Aston Villa put their supporters through. The famous Midlands club, one of a select few to have won the European Cup, is stuck at the bottom of the Premier League table and look destined for a seemingly inevitable relegation, which would be the first time they had dropped from the top flight since 1987.

Manager Rémi Garde described securing safety as “an impossible mission that we have to make possible”, though it would not be a major shock if the Frenchman were to be given his marching orders any time soon, given their impotent form. In truth, it always seemed a 

strange decision to entrust Villa's fate to a man with no management experience in the Premier League.

Villa’s plight should not be overly surprising since they have struggled to avoid relegation in the last four seasons, culminating in finishing 17th in 2014/15, the club’s worst performance since the creation of the Premier League in 1992. Hopes of a better season had previously flickered during Villa’s run to the FA Cup Final, but a harsh dose of reality was administered by Arsenal during a 4-0 defeat at Wembley..."

http://swissramble.blogspot.se/2016/03/aston-villa-this-house-is-circus.html

Will be interesting to see his next article about us, especially since we now have a Swiss manager.

Forgive me, I don't mean to be rude - but wots the relevance of this ?

7 minutes ago, hippo said:

Forgive me, I don't mean to be rude - but wots the relevance of this ?

Did you read the quoted article?

Edit: It goes on to explain in extreme detail why in financial terms Villa has fallen behind under Lerner, but also shows that we have a huge potential if run properly.

Edited by sne

18 hours ago, terrytini said:

Getting dangerously close to Cock Piss Partridge....(*)

(From Mr A Partridge for those sadly unaware)

Nope. I've gone through all my XTC albums, and I can't find it...

• Like 1

We'll probably have to win a few European cups in that ten years to be able to call ourselves one of the top three clubs in the world. I know we celebrate that we're one of the few clubs that have won it, but I feel footballsad that we've only won it once. I don't think we'll be able to appreciate fully what Xia/Recon are capable of until we return to the Premiership.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

He's told us. In the top 3 biggest clubs in the world within ten years. Personally I think that is a bit unambitious.

Signing 10 other Bacunas to fill up our squad would be one of my highest priorities. Then we can start calling our £11bn squad ambitious!

• Like 1

If Xia makes us China's number 1 team that alone would catapult us into one of the best supported clubs in the world. Being the best team trophy wise and being one of the best supported are a bit different but either way we will need sustained long term success to achieve it. I'll take being in the best 2 in the Championship this season then aim for world domination next season!! 

Anyone know when we should expect to hear if this takeover has been ratified?  It was announced on 18th May – if they submitted that day that's 21 days up.  I was wondering if we might hear before Friday and the Euros?  All seems to have gone a bit quiet, but it can't be too much longer surely.  Would be great to get this confirmed.

6 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Anyone know when we should expect to hear if this takeover has been ratified?  It was announced on 18th May – if they submitted that day that's 21 days up.  I was wondering if we might hear before Friday and the Euros?  All seems to have gone a bit quiet, but it can't be too much longer surely.  Would be great to get this confirmed.

Last I heard from Gregg Evans of the Birmingham Mail is that the paper work has all be filed and that the final stage is merely Tony Xia flying in to the UK to meet with officials from the FA and Football League. That said it's unknown if Xia is in the country or if he is summoned when they are done looking through the paper work. That said this deal isn't dragging on all that much most takeovers take about this amount of time, it'll be done soon I think. 

• Like 2

So I guess every bigwig from the FA has flown to France for the Euro's and will be gone for a month, meaning that the takeover will drag on to the middle of July at the earliest :mellow:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, sne said:

So I guess every bigwig from the FA has flown to France for the Euro's and will be gone for a month, meaning that the takeover will drag on to the middle of July at the earliest :mellow:

It'll be the minions back home doing doing the work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Genie said:

It'll be the minions back home doing doing the work.

By the look of previous fit and proper person tests it's probably the kid they have in on work experience before he leaves school for college who will do it

Charles Sale is now getting upset about our European Cup winning side. So disrespectful to the players who won that "one" European cup. 

Forest finally find fame

One of football’s biggest anomalies has been rectified with Brian Clough’s great double European Cup winners Nottingham Forest finally being admitted into the National Football Museum’s Hall of Fame.

It was a mystery how an Aston Villa side who won one European Cup and never threatened again had been inducted ahead of them.

Are we still waiting to become an official Championship side so as to have complete Football League ratification?

I ask this because it appears the Swansea deal is done.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/jun/05/swansea-city-takeover-premier-league

Or is this just in the same way that ours is "complete", ie. they've agreed the price and now the fit & proper tests are to be completed? Because to me, this Swansea deal seems like it's in the bag and ours continues to drag on.