The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

Where do I say I cheat at golf ?  I play by the rules, that's my point, I don't bring morals into it.  Sorry if IVe misled you but Ive re-read the OP and don't see anything that suggests I cheat at golf ?

8 minutes ago, terrytini said:

I know the rules to Monopoly and use them to my advantage (well, I did as a youngster).......

Pocket a few notes when no one's looking? I've seen your sort before ;)

monopolymoney.jpg

To be fair, football is a business centred around a game, it's not like bending the rules playing monopoly. It's like Hasbro bending EU distribution laws to further cement their dominance in the board game industry.

I really don't have an opinion on the argument though, just saying.

13 hours ago, sidcow said:

What's to stop someone at a Xia connected company saying something like "I really love that boardroom table,  I would love to buy it,  how does £100m sound?" 

Our boardroom table is one of the finest out there. Bacuna sat on it once. This means it is worth at least £4bn.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, av1 said:

Pocket a few notes when no one's looking? I've seen your sort before ;)

monopolymoney.jpg

The old 'hidden £500' trick ..?

Seriously, you'd be amazed how many good tricks there are at Monopoly...or maybe you wouldn't...

12 minutes ago, a m ole said:

To be fair, football is a business centred around a game, it's not like bending the rules playing monopoly. It's like Hasbro bending EU distribution laws to further cement their dominance in the board game industry.

I really don't have an opinion on the argument though, just saying.

Well maybe that's a point, or maybe its a game centred around a business ?  (Not that I've worked out whether that helps or hinders either of our points !).

Anyway, whatever it is, I never bent the rules of monopoly, and I'm not suggesting I support bending rules, just working according TO them.  If the rules have loopholes in real life, maybe there is a moral question (but maybe there isn't, many different philosophies written on that over the centuries), but if the rules have loopholes in this game, we'd be daft not to use them (and whilst I think that has merit in its own right, there is the very important extra consideration that you can bet everyone else will !)

See how  many complain if it makes us happy every Saturday !

Anyway, it will be up to Tonys conscience, and then that of the individual.

Edited by terrytini

6 minutes ago, terrytini said:

The old 'hidden £500' trick ..?

Seriously, you'd be amazed how many good tricks there are at Monopoly...or maybe you wouldn't...

Buy the orange properties mate, always the orange ones....

• Like 1

Just now, Shropshire Lad said:

Just now, Phumfeinz said:

My monopoly pro-tip is don't play monopoly because it's boring and takes forever.

Play me and itll be over very quickly my friend....Bwa - ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha :twisted:

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

My monopoly pro-tip is don't play monopoly because it's boring and takes forever.

THIS. 

I hate Monopoly. It exerts a completely malign influence in our culture. For a long period of my life, I cringed at the thought of 'playing a board game', because in my mind 'playing a board game' meant 'sitting in a caravan on a rainy day playing Monopoly'. For some bizarre reason, even though Monopoly is a dreadful game, with a variety of rules that make playing it a guaranteed dismal experience for most players, it's the only board game we see in popular culture. 

Then I moved to Vietnam, and had a colleague who actually knew about board games. Sitting on a summer evening, drinking beers, sat next to West Lake, playing genuinely decent board games like Saboteur, Bang! and Mall of Horror are genuinely some of the best memories of my life. 

Anyway, back to Villa . . .

So Samuelson is a Commercial Director? :detect:

Commercial Director of Recon Sports, so it's not necessarily the role he'll play at Villa. It definitely looks like he'll have some involvement at Villa though, and 'Commercial Director' definitely seems like a role that would suit him (or, if he was allowed a more specific title, it'd be 'Mover and Hider of Money').

I don't think Samuelson will be Chairman though, as was rumoured a few days ago. He's not held that position at a club before has he? If not, it would seem like an odd position to put him in. I can see Xia putting someone more suitable in that position, and allow Samuelson to do the legwork on the finance side of things.

• Like 1

THIS. 

I hate Monopoly. It exerts a completely malign influence in our culture. For a long period of my life, I cringed at the thought of 'playing a board game', because in my mind 'playing a board game' meant 'sitting in a caravan on a rainy day playing Monopoly'. For some bizarre reason, even though Monopoly is a dreadful game, with a variety of rules that make playing it a guaranteed dismal experience for most players, it's the only board game we see in popular culture. 

Then I moved to Vietnam, and had a colleague who actually knew about board games. Sitting on a summer evening, drinking beers, sat next to West Lake, playing genuinely decent board games like Saboteur, Bang! and Mall of Horror are genuinely some of the best memories of my life. 

Anyway, back to Villa . . .

There are lots of good and strategic board games out there, and for anyone reading this, you don't need to go to Vietnam to find out about them :lol: just look on a website called boardgamegeek.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Useless fact of the day - the orange properties are most likely to be landed on because of how close they are to Jail. There are several cards and also a dedicated square that send you to jail. When a player eventually gets out rolling a 6, 8 or 9 are quite good odds. So there - get all the oranges with hotels and you should win! 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Commercial Director of Recon Sports...

Is that right though? I would have thought that "Occupation" would be his usual occupation, not (necessarily) his role at Recon.

The Doctor gives his as a "Business Executive".

57 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Commercial Director of Recon Sports, so it's not necessarily the role he'll play at Villa. It definitely looks like he'll have some involvement at Villa though, and 'Commercial Director' definitely seems like a role that would suit him (or, if he was allowed a more specific title, it'd be 'Mover and Hider of Money').

I don't think Samuelson will be Chairman though, as was rumoured a few days ago. He's not held that position at a club before has he? If not, it would seem like an odd position to put him in. I can see Xia putting someone more suitable in that position, and allow Samuelson to do the legwork on the finance side of things.

The original story here confirms that Dr Xia is to be Chairman so I do not expect anyone else. 

Aston Villa Football Club is pleased to announce that an agreement has been signed today for the sale of 100% ownership by Randy Lerner to Recon Group owned by Dr Tony Jiantong Xia subject to the approval of the Premier League and the Football League. Once those approvals have been granted and the new board members approved under the fit & proper rules of both leagues, Dr Xia will become Chairman of Aston Villa. The Club will announce the appointment of a new manager shortly.

I must say seeing Samuelson's name there does suggest more involvement than I anticipated. Rather hoping he is a director to help move along rather than anything else. Unfortunately the Capital on the documents relate to Mr Hitchins which to me definitely says administrator. Hopefully over the next few days more documents will appear (transfer of capital etc). Will be worthwhile keeping an eye on the Aston Villa companies as well (there are quite a few when you search Companies House...!).

It is important to remember though that the documents are from last week and only filed with Companies House on Friday so may not mean much for movement right now, but is at least a step in the right direction!

That said seeing his name added to Recon Sports as of yesterday seems to suggest that he's passed his part of the fit and proper, so unless there is someone else super dodgy that we don't know about it seems to be going smoothly. Definitely a filing to keep an eye on as more names may be added as they pass the checks.