The 2016 Takeover Thread

Sam3773

34 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Recently I got an experience of ’British Media talking about things that they have no evidence of‘, which is much worse than Chinese media (note he has had bad experience with Chinese media already). Anyone can tell me (note this is not a question, it is a sarcasm), when 'the tradition of paparazzi of British Media' started, and who the originator (of that tradition) is?

In China, we call those irresponsible sports journalists as 'those who will write a piece of sports news when they defecate in the loo', so defecator (if that is a word?)

Thanks for the translation (and some of the added context).  I'm beginning to really like our new owner - sounds like he has a good (and in many ways quite an English / cynical) sense of humour!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Anyone can tell me (note this is not a question, it is a sarcasm), when 'the tradition of paparazzi of British Media' started, and who the originator (of that tradition) is?

In China, we call those irresponsible sports journalists as 'those who will write a piece of sports news when they defecate in the loo', so defecator (if that is a word?)

I think the underlined part is meant to say "can anyone tell me", which would make more sense in terms of the remainder of that passage of text. :thumb:

Thanks for the insight though mate, it seems like Dr Xia has readied himself for the shite written in the British press. :flag:

• Like 2

1 minute ago, villarocker said:

I think the underlined part is meant to say "can anyone tell me", which would make more sense in terms of the remainder of that passage of text. :thumb:

Thanks for the insight though mate, it seems like Dr Xia has readied himself for the shite written in the British press. :flag:

yes, indeed. I made a typical mistake when translating Chinese into English.

When asking a question (it is a sarcasm tho in that case), in Chinese we don't move the 'verb' to the beginning of the sentence. We just put a word at the end of the sentence to show it is a question, rather than a pure statement. 

Thanks for that correction!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Deisler123 said:

yes, indeed. I made a typical mistake when translating Chinese into English.

When asking a question (it is a sarcasm tho in that case), in Chinese we don't move the 'verb' to the beginning of the sentence. We just put a word at the end of the sentence to show it is a question, rather than a pure statement. 

Thanks for that correction!

I think that the good man was probably taking the piss (being sarcastic) out of the press with that question.

No need to thank me for the correction mate, your English is a billion times better than my Chinese :D

• Like 2

Ray Wilkins:

“Funnily enough, I’ve got a very dear friend who knows a lot what’s going on and he tells me that that is not going through.

“It’s got to go to the Football League - they want to know what his financial situation is.”

It's as if he's run out of ways to embarrass himself.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, juanpabloangel18 said:

Ray Wilkins:

“Funnily enough, I’ve got a very dear friend who knows a lot what’s going on and he tells me that that is not going through.

“It’s got to go to the Football League - they want to know what his financial situation is.”

It's as if he's run out of ways to embarrass himself.

That Talksport fella's tweet again :rolleyes:

Surely Dr Xia should just say "Not sure what the British press is after other than publicity. When you get down in the mud and wrestle with a pig, the pig loves it - and you get muddy. I think I will just let them to continue to talk"

Ok. i dont know if he has the money or not but this is my take on it and believe why some of us are perhaps a bit nervous.

What did strike me as odd is when he was announced he was very quick to try and prove to the media he had the money and was pulling out receipts from sales of other companies and saying he had 50mill to give to the manager to spend on players.  I've never came ac cross a chairman who announced such a thing in the past   He was either to honest, naive perhaps (which personally i believe is the case) or he is trying to hard to convince people something that is not actually there which is worrying. 

Edited by HeyAnty

3 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Ok. i dont know if he has the money or not but this is my take on it and believe why some of us are perhaps a bit nervous.

What did strike me as odd is when he was announced he was very quick to try and prove to the media he had the money and was pulling out receipts from sales of other companies and saying he had 50mill to give to the manager to spend on players.  I've never came ac cross a chairman who announced such a thing in the past   He was either to honest, naive perhaps (which personally i believe is the case) or he is trying to hard to convince people something that is not actually there which is worrying. 

I think the amount of nervous fans have dwindled considerably since both Xia and Hollis have spoken/allayed fears. I also think that you can chalk the above up to inexperience with dealing with the British press. It's pretty clear that he didn't expected to be treated as he has and perhaps in hindsight, his actions were a little naive.

I for one am back to being optimistic. Especially if RDM is appointed this week :).

Edited by JPAngel

15 minutes ago, Supervillan78 said:

Tony should just buy Talkshite and then sack everybody. That'll learn them!

Reminds me of the scene in the Dark Knight rises:

" Let me get this straight. You think that your client, one of the wealthiest, most powerful men in the world, is secretly a vigilante who spends his nights beating criminals to a pulp with his bare hands; and your plan, is to *blackmail* this person?"

These 2 bit hacks do realise they are basically pissing off the Chinese Government?!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Daweii said:

I've also never seen a chairman attacked so brazenly that he needs to prove his wealth. 

If Xia got £10 million for every time he was asked how much he's worth he'd be a billionaire even if he wasn't before hand. It's borderline racism that he's getting the treatment he is just because he's Chinese. Yes he's a very private man but that doesn't mean he lacks the funds. There are lots of billionaires in the UK that no one in this country knows about as not everyone is Richard Branson living in the media 24/7. I think if he was trying to convince people of something he is not he would be showing off far more than just a bank statement from a recent sale. He has done the bare minimum that he is comfortable of doing, he doesn't want his wealth out there for whatever reason and the public and the media should respect that. 

Maybe he is a con artist but on the flip side maybe he isn't. Personal wealth is a very personal thing. Xia keeping that to himself doesn't make him a bad guy.

I agree to an extent, but it was always going to be the case when its the first full acquisition of a big club by a Chinese business man.  Given the money the Chinese are pumping into the game in their own country every person was going to be wondering if he was going to be the next Man City type owner