Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

13 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Well they are not a big step up from where we are currently

They are a club that plays championship level football domestically and gets champions league football by default so maybe that's what made him go there

It is more league 1 in my opinion.

• Like 1

Rodgers was bound for Celtic from the beginning. A club where he can resurrect his bad spell at Liverpool, win a couple titles and get past the knockout stages in the CL a couple times will help his resume tremendously. He won't stay there long and will go off to a bigger club I would think in 2-3 years. Why jeopardize hurting your coaching career even more coming to us which is a bigger risk than Celtic, and also a lot tougher challenge?

56 minutes ago, 007√ said:

Rodgers was bound for Celtic from the beginning. A club where he can resurrect his bad spell at Liverpool, win a couple titles and get past the knockout stages in the CL a couple times will help his resume tremendously. He won't stay there long and will go off to a bigger club I would think in 2-3 years. Why jeopardize hurting your coaching career even more coming to us which is a bigger risk than Celtic, and also a lot tougher challenge?

Was Rodgers time at Liverpool bad? Not totally sure it was- I would maybe have said indifferent, not looking for an arguement here and if anybody cares enough to reply- what do you think?

cheers !

6 minutes ago, Dave J said:

Was Rodgers time at Liverpool bad? Not totally sure it was- I would maybe have said indifferent, not looking for an arguement here and if anybody cares enough to reply- what do you think?

cheers !

I don't think he did the best, but not the worst either. He built a fairly good squad, but there were probably two reasons for his downfall from Liverpoool

1. He did make some... rather interesting (bad) signings for very large prices.
  2. He was constantly ridiculed by the English press up until the point almost nobody outside of Liverpool fans could really look at him the same way. Oh yes, Hard Work, Cliche, Intensity.

14 minutes ago, Dave J said:

cheers !

They think he surely was. Looking at the facts, he definitely was. Best season was clearly his 13/14 season, but Liverpool fans say it was all down to Suarez.

Wasted a good chunk of his transfer budget, spent around 300mill. What did he get out of it? Didn't win any trophies and finished mid table 2 out of his 3 seasons. That's a fail in my book...

He was the one who ridiculed Spurs who spent 100mill to say " If you spend that much money, you should be winning the league". But again, he spent 300mill and didn't win anything...

35 minutes ago, 007√ said:

They think he surely was. Looking at the facts, he definitely was. Best season was clearly his 13/14 season, but Liverpool fans say it was all down to Suarez.

Wasted a good chunk of his transfer budget, spent around 300mill. What did he get out of it? Didn't win any trophies and finished mid table 2 out of his 3 seasons. That's a fail in my book...

He was the one who ridiculed Spurs who spent 100mill to say " If you spend that much money, you should be winning the league". But again, he spent 300mill and didn't win anything...

That's fair enough - I accept your superior knowledge, I suppose I was blinded by the runners up season. I would say this mind- they were a joy to watch that season.

cheers :-)

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

That's fair enough - I accept your superior knowledge, I suppose I was blinded by the runners up season. I would say this mind- they were a joy to watch that season.

cheers :-)

No superior knowledge sir. But yes, they were actually quite bearable to watch that season and I prefer them over City.  

14 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

I think he did well at Leicester. Promoted with over 100 points is some achievement. Keeping them up again a good achievement. The fact they have gone on to win the league doesn't enhance what he did at Leicester or downgrade his achievements. The reason they kicked on could be that they simply carried on the form they showed at the arse end of the previous season, the players had benefited from a season together in the Prem or it could be that Ranieri is a much better manager than Pearson.

I think Pearson could get us out of the Championship. Beyond that I would have huge doubts certainly if the aim is indeed top 6. The first task is to get us out of the Championship though.

Unless we go for someone more proven like Moyes then the likes of Pearson, Dyce, Hughton are all much of a muchness for me. Four years ago Lambert would have been seen as a great shout for the job now, a few years before that Owen Coyle or Paul Jewell would have been seen as decent candidates to bring us up. You never really know how a manager who has done well in the Championship and got clubs promoted will fair in the top flight or at a bigger club with the pressure of higher expectation. Eddie Howe has done great with Bournemouth but if/when he steps up to a much bigger club who knows how he will do.

In an ideal world and given our apparent new wealth and ambition I would  like us to look beyond simply someone who can get us promoted but bottom line is before we can really kick on we need to get out of the Championship and if we go for the short – medium term option of someone who has shown they can achieve then so be it. I’ll worry about what we can achieve in the Premier League once we get back there.

But that's what I was saying, I think he would get us out of the championship, but I don't rate him as a premiership manager. I don't want us to just look at getting out of this league, I want someone who has a bigger project that includes further seasons in the prem. I don't think Pearson is that man.

6 hours ago, 007√ said:

the last 2 Celtic title winning managers(both did well in Europe as well) ended up at Boro and Bolton and I imagine Deila be looking at a job back in Scandinavia after this. not exactly a golden ticket to a top team

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

the last 2 Celtic title winning managers(both did well in Europe as well) ended up at Boro and Bolton and I imagine Deila be looking at a job back in Scandinavia after this. not exactly a golden ticket to a top team

Rodgers is on a 12 month rolling contract at Celtic. If anything screams "I'm not sticking around here long guys, one better offer and I'm off" - it's that contract :D

Edited by bobzy

4 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Rodgers is on a 12 month rolling contract at Celtic. If anything screams "I'm not sticking around here long guys, one better offer and I'm off" - it's that contract :D

I think it more screams Celtic saying "If you don't show us hard work, intensity and cliche in your first season, you're out out out."