Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

Agreed. Even Lambert and Sherwood had miracle finishes in a shit season. Lambert also has experience in the Championship, got teams promoted. Would we have him back? No. He's not a lunatic, either.

18 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

Agreed. Even Lambert and Sherwood had miracle finishes in a shit season. Lambert also has experience in the Championship, got teams promoted. Would we have him back? No. He's not a lunatic, either.

his signings of grant holt, kieran richardson and tonev might suggest otherwise ;) 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is now a pointless argument, the people who simply don't like Pearson will come up with even the most ludicrous of claims to fit whatever narrative they have. EG. Di Matteo wins Champions League with Chelsea "wasnt his team". Mourinho has shocking results for half season gets sacked "he has been treated unfairly", the players need to answer. All info can be skewed to fit any view. This has been done to death. 

As you have said, the Leicester team under Pearson were grossly unlucky over the course of that season, and they were putting in performances, as well as the fantastic run of momentum. BOTH Pearson and Ranieri, whom I both like, deserve credit.

I'm not trying to force opinions to prove my argument, I just don't rate Pearson as a top level manager, the stats back up my argument, they weren't winning games. I think had he kept the job, Leicester would be down by the relegation places again. He put most of that team together but Ranieri is the only one who I think deserves credit for this season. But as you say, it is a pointless argument purely based on the fact it's all hypothetical, he never kept the job and he probably won't be joining us either.

5 hours ago, 7392craig said:

Also I don't want a lunatic managing my club. Someone who grabs players by the throat, tells fans to "f**k off and die", and was constantly outspoken in the media. What few positives the man may have do not outweigh the negatives.

This seems to be the main reason people don't want Pearson, cos his actual record makes him look a pretty good fit for the job if you ask me. Mind you, I don't get the problem with being "outspoken in the media" - Ferguson, Clough, Mourinho.........

If the criteria is experience in the Championship and the Champions League then it leaves Moyes, Rodgers and Di Matteo. 

I think I'd prefer Rodgers out of the three, Moyes wouldn't be a bad shout but his teams are not interesting to watch at all. Can't we be greedy and tempt someone like Bielsa, Murat Yakin or Lucien Favre?

15 hours ago, cyrusr said:

However at the moment might be seeing who could pull in. With talk of different budgets perhaps trying to tempt Rafa Benitez from Newcastle? Clearly seems to be indicating he is happy to manage in Championship so long as there is money and ambition which appears to be the issue for Newcastle... Maybe could be persuaded... ;)

Was wondering if this might be a possibility myself

I think it's pretty naive to think that one manager can take you from the Championship to the Champions League. It's a case of horses for courses and creating a style of play/philosophy at the club that will allow us to change managers when needed without disrupting things massively. 

I don't think Di Matteo would be a good choice. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Villastine said:

The importance of who we hire as our next manager pales in comparison to the importance of putting the right structures in place for the club to succeed. We don't need to reinvent the wheel just copy Southampton, Swansea, Watford or Leicester etc.

For me the manager is as important as the structure for success that is implemented. This was always lacking under Randy which led to some terrible decision making. The right manager will make it work.

As for who to copy... copy no one, be Aston Villa and have others copy us

33 minutes ago, MrDuck said:

This seems to be the main reason people don't want Pearson, cos his actual record makes him look a pretty good fit for the job if you ask me. Mind you, I don't get the problem with being "outspoken in the media" - Ferguson, Clough, Mourinho.........

Those three were always completely in control when talking with the press. Pearson was not.

My worry with Pearson if things fall apart he falls apart. Look at his interviews at the end of games he comes across stupid. One interview if I remember correctly involved a decision against Leicester and the reporter asked him if he has or intends to speak to the ref. peArsons response was whupy would I want to talk to him for, he is one if huge most arrogant people I have ever met.

yeah it's concerning. I would prefer moyes, Rodgers or rdm to Pearson 

For me the manager is as important as the structure for success that is implemented. This was always lacking under Randy which led to some terrible decision making. The right manager will make it work.

As for who to copy... copy no one, be Aston Villa and have others copy us

Look managers are for the most part short term appointments. If we put the right structures in place any one of RDM, McCarthy, Pearson, Flores and a whole host of others can get us promoted.

The right structures avoids the owner making poor decisions.

5 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I think he did well under the restrictions he probably had enforced upon him. The poor signings were more trying to get the best value in a very limited time for us. Look at what happened after. I feel if Lambo had not plummeted that season, got the Benteke money, it would have been better spent. 

Lambert now would potentially be a different story, but that ain't happening.

1 hour ago, jon_c said:

Those three were always completely in control when talking with the press. Pearson was not.

They are also 3 of the best managers of all time. 

Pearson is... Not

1 hour ago, lexicon said:

I think it's pretty naive to think that one manager can take you from the Championship to the Champions League. It's a case of horses for courses and creating a style of play/philosophy at the club that will allow us to change managers when needed without disrupting things massively. 

I don't think Di Matteo would be a good choice. 

That depends who the manager is. If you get a big name manager to drop down it's entirely feasible but if you got a lower league manager just to get you up you'd be in for a change at some point. I think Pearson would be ideal for the next 2/3 years but a Moyes may not be as good in the next 12 months but would be bett in the longer run. These are just examples but it all depends on the owners ambition and belief we can get up first attempt. No point in appointing a top manager if he can't get us up first time. 

6 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

This is now a pointless argument, the people who simply don't like Pearson will come up with even the most ludicrous of claims to fit whatever narrative they have. EG. Di Matteo wins Champions League with Chelsea "wasnt his team". Mourinho has shocking results for half season gets sacked "he has been treated unfairly", the players need to answer. All info can be skewed to fit any view. This has been done to death. 

Neither of those claims are ludicrous. 

3 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Neither of those claims are ludicrous. 

But then on that basis if if wasnt RDM team, Sherwood shouldnt take credit for keeping us up as it wasn't "his team"

I find that argument ridiculous tbh. If your appointed manager and you win something you should get praise for that not be dismissed for it in my eyes

Edited by Demitri_C

5 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But then on that basis if if wasnt RDM team, Sherwood shouldnt take credit for keeping us up as it wasn't "his team"

I find that argument ridiculous tbh. If your appointed manager and you win something you should get praise for that not be dismissed for it in my eyes

Sherwood is a shit manager. So whilst the claim might not be fully rounded out, it could form the basis of a solid argument against RDM. Which I'm not about to make.

It's not ludicrous. Neither is suggesting Pearson didn't do a good enough job to balance out the negatives. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.