Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

1 hour ago, jonny-recession said:

How bout AVB 

its made for a headline

"Andres Villas Boss"....... I presume I'm getting banned for that

The funny thing is, I secretly was wishing for that before he got tainted in UK. What is he up to these days?

27 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Karanka just got Boro promoted. He would therefore fit the bill.

Perfect logic. Hire someone based on what they will achieve next year.

Can you tell me next week's Euromillions numbers while you're at it?

15 minutes ago, mwj said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.

I said that I think we should be going for someone who has proven success in the Championship. Karanka has that as he just got Boro promoted.

What are you talking about?

17 minutes ago, mwj said:

I don't even...what? Surely you only employ people based on what they might achieve in the future? :lol:

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, lexicon said:

I have absolutely no idea what you're on about.

I said that I think we should be going for someone who has proven success in the Championship. Karanka has that as he just got Boro promoted.

What are you talking about?

My point was that Karanka didn't have promotion experience when he was hired. Neither does Carvahal or Wassal. Neither did Eddie Howe, Jokanovic or Alex Neill

You're reducing the pool of suitable candidates to basically 3 if you ONLY consider managers with Championship promotion experience.... its a stupid restriction in my opinion.

• Like 1

If we're going for british manager, Rodgers is probably best choice even if he is David Brent-like. I find british managers to be too inflexible and with exception of SAF they seem to have the glass ceiling at 'top-midtable'.

Personally I'd go for experienced but relatively young-ish foreign manager who has a good grasp of english language.

5 minutes ago, mwj said:

My point was that Karanka didn't have promotion experience when he was hired. Neither does Carvahal or Wassal. Neither did Eddie Howe, Jokanovic or Alex Neill

You're reducing the pool of suitable candidates to basically 3 if you ONLY consider managers with Championship promotion experience.... its a stupid restriction in my opinion.

But he didn't put any restrictions on who we should appoint, he just named a manager that has already and recently achieved what we need to. I'm not sure what's wrong with that really.

28 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The funny thing is, I secretly was wishing for that before he got tainted in UK. What is he up to these days?

AVBs contract is up this season at Zenit, and is currently considering his next move.  I sit next to a Porto fan at work, and he keeps going on about what a legend he is and Porto fans want him back there.

I see the Rodgers links have gained some momentum on the web...

8 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

But he didn't put any restrictions on who we should appoint, he just named a manager that has already and recently achieved what we need to. I'm not sure what's wrong with that really.

He did previously state that only managers who have been promoted from the Championship should be considered.  I think mwj is highlighting how ridiculous he thinks that viewpoint is.

Just now, bobzy said:

He did previously state that only managers who have been promoted from the Championship should be considered.  I think mwj is highlighting how ridiculous he thinks that viewpoint is.

Oh okay, fair enough. Haha sorry mwj!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We're better off going for somebody with a proven track record at that level than someone who hasn't. 

If you think that is ridiculous, then I don't really know how I can help you. 

I don't think it can be any more clear.

6 out of the 8 teams promoted in the last 3 years had no Championship promotion "track record"... (with one to be decided) 

The only people were Dyche this year (who hadn't when they were promoted 2 years ago), and Redknapp with Portsmouth in 2003

Edited by mwj
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Jarpie said:

If we're going for british manager, Rodgers is probably best choice even if he is David Brent-like. I find british managers to be too inflexible and with exception of SAF they seem to have the glass ceiling at 'top-midtable'.

Personally I'd go for experienced but relatively young-ish foreign manager who has a good grasp of english language.

Remi Garde? ;)

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

RDM pictured in brum airport this morning

He lives in leamington.

If anything, him being at the airport is bad news as it probably means he's jetting off somewhere else!

44 minutes ago, lexicon said:

We're better off going for somebody with a proven track record at that level than someone who hasn't. 

That's very different than completely excluding people who don't have a track record in the Championship, especially if the reason for that lack of a track record is the fact they've never managed there.

45 minutes ago, lexicon said:

If you think that is ridiculous, then I don't really know how I can help you. 

Actual facts go against what you're saying, but sure.

Rafa's light hasn't got the shine it once had, he might have won stuff at Napoli but he still took a very good team backwards and they improved as soon as he left, couldn't handle the big names and egos at Madrid, this "2 weeks to think about it" is blatantly 2 weeks to try and get the **** out of there but I can't see any CL teams sniffing round him

He's not what he was, Newcastle are still lucky to have him though