Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, meme said:

Yes, definitely. Lambert, if you look back on him now, showed signs of a top manager for the first 1.5 seasons he was here. He assembled a team which could avoid Premier League relegation (even if it was utter tripe) with virtually no budget at all, and handled the pressure superbly. He was forced to defend if he could get any sort of stuff out of our team, and that eventually built in as a mechanism. I guess the pressure must have gotten to him after that, because he sort of gave up after he realised we were f*****. Villa affected him greatly as a manager, and probably diminished his career for the next ten years.

TL;DR - Lerner's inadequacy and stupidity destroyed someone who had potential to be a top manager.

I completely agree on Lambert having buckets of potential at the beginning, and it being Lerner's fault that he ended up the way he did. But as you say, he's been set back years now. Hence why I wouldn't want to see him come back to the club.

5 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

I completely agree on Lambert having buckets of potential at the beginning, and it being Lerner's fault that he ended up the way he did. But as you say, he's been set back years now. Hence why I wouldn't want to see him come back to the club.

I'm sure with the right owners helping him, he would probably get back on track. The man is what anyone would want for a manager; professional, good at handling pressure, has a ton of contacts (Has visited Bayern and Dortmund on many occasions) and good at business/assembling entire squads. May have a bit of boring football but that's our fault more than anything. Shame he ended up here at the worst time possible, to be fair.

Edited by meme

2 minutes ago, meme said:

I'm sure with the right owners helping him, he would probably get back on track. The man is what anyone would want for a manager; professional, good at handling pressure, has a ton of contacts (Has visited Bayern and Dortmund on many occasions) and good at business/assembling entire squads. May have a bit of boring football but that's our fault more than anything. Shame he ended up here at the worst time possible, to be fair.

I do believe it's our fault, but his football wasn't just a bit boring, it was negative, every game, whoever the opposition. Every game was set up not to lose, and that loses games, the only way to win is to have the ball in your opponents half and put it in the net, and this almost seemed as if it wasn't in the game plan for a long time in the end. This was Lerner's fault and was only down to him becoming a broken man in the end. I wouldn't want him back right now even with a £100 million budget, I think it'll be a few years before he's the manager he was when he first came to us.

1 minute ago, mikeyp102 said:

Are people seriously suggesting Lambert... No no no. I've never been so depressed as a villa fan as I was when he was in charge.

We're not really suggesting him, he wouldn't come back here ever. The conversation just went on to him for some reason.

Edited by meme

I know it's a bit of pie in the sky, but it would show intention if we could a high profile manager like Pellegrini, that's a bit of a long shot thought isn't it? Would he even do well in the Championship? Not sure.

3 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I know it's a bit of pie in the sky, but it would show intention if we could a high profile manager like Pellegrini, that's a bit of a long shot thought isn't it? Would he even do well in the Championship? Not sure.

Signed quite a large amount of flops at City, might be a bit too big of a risk here.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, 7392craig said:

Personally I think it'll be Mourinho :cheers:

Sorry, but "Boring Boring Villa" just isn't as catchy as "Boring Boring Chelsea"

1 hour ago, KJT123 said:

I reckon it's going to be Moyes

And me,

However, if it is Pearson, I'll be delighted with that too. Either of those two would make me feel very happy about next season.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Lambert as manager would sell about 5 extra season tickets, an exciting new Villa era lead by him...no facking chance.

It would sell negative numbers of season tickets. I, for one, would decide against buying if that dour miserabilist was in charge and I know I'm in the majority on this one.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, Uppernorthstander said:

David o learly! Remi Garde! Eric black! surely at least one if not all three depressed you more?

Never really went under dol... Yes garde and black were just as bad, but Lambert had drained all enthusiasm I had for football. We went runs of games on end without even having a shot. It was awful football.

But let's not derail this thread into a Lambert discussion as it's very very unlikely he will return.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jareth said:

Shamelessly borrowed observation from someone on Twitter - but if Pearson was Hollis' idea, and Tony's pick - he would be appointed immediately, no waiting for the fit and proper persons test. 

I agree. In his interview, Hollis said that he had his preferred candidate for the position, and made it clear that he is still the Chairman of the Football Club. It therefore seems entirely plausible that Hollis/Lerner have a different preference to Xia, if the deal goes through (subject to clearance) Xia will obviously pick, any issues and Hollis makes an appointment (which is exactly what he alluded to in his interview)

For what its worth i think Pearson is Hollis's choice, another reason to pray the deal goes through :)

Hoping that Xia wants Moyes. 

If anyone missed it, Here is the interview I'm referring to. 

I think ppl underestimate the job lambert did tbf. Yeah he got himself in a one dimensional mess and he had benteke, but my word he had us a lot better than this embarrassing lot this season.

Lambert wasn't as bad as ppl think. That team just wasn't as good as ppl think and for the large part of proceedings, at least we fought.

• Like 3