Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I know that some people have said short term just to get us out and lets change again in two years once we are up and stabilised but I just dont go with that approach at all.  I'd want someone for immediate term,  medium term and potentially a bit longer to be honest.  This chopping and changing is no good

• Like 2

1 hour ago, bobzy said:

Actual facts go against what you're saying, but sure.

From this season, the top 3 teams all had managers with experience in that league - 2 of them had won it, one of them made the playoff final last year. 

You can argue whatever you want but you have to admit that surely it's less risky to hire somebody with a good track record in this division?

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

From this season, the top 3 teams all had managers with experience in that league - 2 of them had won it, one of them made the playoff final last year. 

You can argue whatever you want but you have to admit that surely it's less risky to hire somebody with a good track record in this division?

You're citing Sean Dyche here who, when appointed at Burnley, had not won the Championship and promptly got them promoted.

You're also citing Chris Hughton who, when appointed at Newcastle, had never even managed in the Championship and promptly got them promoted in record time.

I think it's less risky to hire somebody with a good track record full stop, rather than obsessing over what they're done in the division.  It ties in with this whole "English manager" stuff - just not as important as people make out, at all.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, bobzy said:

You're citing Sean Dyche here who, when appointed at Burnley, had not won the Championship and promptly got them promoted.

You're also citing Chris Hughton who, when appointed at Newcastle, had never even managed in the Championship and promptly got them promoted in record time.

I think it's less risky to hire somebody with a good track record full stop, rather than obsessing over what they're done in the division.  It ties in with this whole "English manager" stuff - just not as important as people make out, at all.

Neither club were in the position we find ourselves in - Newcastle were up for sale and Ashley didn't want to hire a manager while that was the case, Burnley don't have the financial clout (or certainly don't like spending) to make as safe an appointment as we can. Both of them worked out and there's no reason why we couldn't hire someone with no track record in the Championship and he could work too but I just think it's safer to go with someone who knows the division and what to do to get out of it. 

43 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Neither club were in the position we find ourselves in - Newcastle were up for sale and Ashley didn't want to hire a manager while that was the case, Burnley don't have the financial clout (or certainly don't like spending) to make as safe an appointment as we can. Both of them worked out and there's no reason why we couldn't hire someone with no track record in the Championship and he could work too but I just think it's safer to go with someone who knows the division and what to do to get out of it. 

Neil Warnock.  Harry Redknapp.  Malky Mackay.  Brian McDermott.

I fail to see how taking any of those on (all fairly recently won promotion from the Championship) would be a decent managerial appointment.

• Like 1

They're obviously not good candidates though. You're sort of inventing things now. It's quite obviously not the only consideration when you are looking for a manager. 

I know you're spoiling for an argument here but I just can't be bothered if you're going to just put words in my mouth. 

6 hours ago, lexicon said:

We categorically should not be looking at managers who haven't got a team promoted from the championship before. We desperately need experience of success and know-how next season. 

Not spoiling for an argument lexicon, just wondering what makes you so strongly convinced of the above, original quote - specifically the bit in bold.

I've cited examples of managers who did not have this prerequisite yet have done well (Hughton at Newcastle probably being the most "similar" - he got them promoted in record time) and also managers who do have this prerequisite but I think would be poor appointments.

Not too sure how that's putting words in your mouth (did I even say you backed Neil Warnock etc?!), but I'd certainly hope the recruitment process is not as limited as you're suggesting.

I don't get why Rodgers took the Celtic job. The cons out weigh the pros. If he doesn't finish first with Celtic, then he did a poor job. Now that Rangers are back in the SPL, this will make things harder. Also people will expect Celtic to do better in the champions league so more pressure. Strange one for me. 

Just now, Czechlad said:

I don't get why Rodgers took the Celtic job. The cons out weigh the pros. If he doesn't finish first with Celtic, then he did a poor job. Now that Rangers are back in the SPL, this will make things harder. Also people will expect Celtic to do better in the champions league so more pressure. Strange one for me. 

Well they are not a big step up from where we are currently

They are a club that plays championship level football domestically and gets champions league football by default so maybe that's what made him go there

1 minute ago, AshVilla said:

Well they are not a big step up from where we are currently

They are a club that plays championship level football domestically and gets champions league football by default so maybe that's what made him go there

I am not saying anything about Celtic going for Rodgers, I am wondering why Rodgers accepted it. Good for Celtic getting a manager with Brendan's quality. Honestly that's impressive. It just doesn't make sense to me why Brendan would take the job. I guess the equivalent would be someone like LVG taking over West Brom. There would be a lot bigger risk of failure with a job like that.