Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

The possibility of Moyes being our manager has given me my first sense of optimism for the club since this debacle of a season. For me, he is way ahead of any of the managers we have been linked with; Rowett unproven, Pearson erratic and Bruce uninspiring. 

If it is true and Moyes is interested, I'd be really annoyed if we don't pull out the stops to get him, as I always felt it would be the other way round and Moyes wouldn't want to come here. We need stability and Moyes is a manager I could see staying for more than 2 seasons. We need experience and Moyes has it at different levels, with big clubs whom have high expectations. We need discipline and he has always had that sense of authority (scary eyes). We need enthusiasm and I think the appointment would really shock fans if it happened, that we could attract someone of that level in our current state.   

The thought of a Bruce or Pearson is depressing, it screams no ambition that we have become accustomed too.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Richard said:

Really?  Here is what I said earlier in the thread....

Club cannot afford to get it wrong, in any way you want to look at it they cannot get it wrong

Need a manager who is not washed out

A manager who is not a "journeyman" manager

Someone with ambition

Someone with the guile and personality to not stand for lazy arsed bastards

Someone with experience of working on a small budget and under difficult circumstances

Someone with genuine affection for the well being of Aston Villa and a connection to the club

Someone not just for the short term ambition of promotion next season but able to stay long term to build a dynasty

Someone who is up for a challenge.

Someone who may very well see Villa as a step up from current role and be willing to come

Someone British (not my sole requirement but a stated aim of a board member)

The only one of those criteria Moyes doesn't meet is having a real connection to the club but that's barely even important to begin with.

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Really?  Here is what I said earlier in the thread....

Club cannot afford to get it wrong, in any way you want to look at it they cannot get it wrong

Need a manager who is not washed out

A manager who is not a "journeyman" manager

Someone with ambition

Someone with the guile and personality to not stand for lazy arsed bastards

Someone with experience of working on a small budget and under difficult circumstances

Someone with genuine affection for the well being of Aston Villa and a connection to the club

Someone not just for the short term ambition of promotion next season but able to stay long term to build a dynasty

Someone who is up for a challenge.

Someone who may very well see Villa as a step up from current role and be willing to come

Someone British (not my sole requirement but a stated aim of a board member)

Having a genuine affection for the club and a connection does not bring results.

If that was the case Dalglish with Liverpool, Shearer with Newcastle etc etc would have done a lot better.

I couldn't care less whether the new manager is a Blues legend as long as he gets results.

That being said I hope it's not a Blues legend :) 

Moyes is the best candidate by a mile

• Like 2

Just now, Stevo985 said:

Agreed. Apart from having "genuine affection" for Villa or seeing the job as a step up Moyes ticks every box.

Which to be honest are absolutely not needed for our manager.

I can't see any manager in the world who matches Richard's criteria (half of which are bollocks anyway, imo). Rowett certainly doesn't. 

Saying that, Sociedad was hardly a step up from United. And i'd argue that villa should at least be level to Sociedad in terms of reputation :P

17 hours ago, Chindie said:

What's Dennis Mortimer's thoughts on the EU? Or how to tackle global terrorism? Or handle the financial crisis?

Dennis Mortimer might have been a glorious and successful player for us, 30 years ago. But that doesn't mean he's much more qualified to comment on who should be Villa's manager in 2016 than he is on any of the above.

What are you wittering on about.....there is a bit of a difference.....embarrassing response.

Maybe i might be more inclined to listen him.....as opposed to listen to you.

Edited by TRO

Just now, Farlz said:

This would absolutely be the perfect appointment and it would no doubt get the fans back on side again. I don't see how we could mess up an opportunity like this. 

I do, haha. This is Villa.

• Like 4

Moyes for me too.  However, whoever it is, I will get behind - but I just can't understand this line of thought that says we shouldn't announce it until the end of the Season as the incoming manager will have a relegation on his CV?  That's just ridiculous - we are down now and have been down really for a couple of months.   Anyway, Man City and Chelsea can do it, why can't we announce who it will be with them taking over in the Summer?  Surely that would give everyone a big lift, lord knows, we all need a big lift.  The incoming Manager could even sit in the stands and assess all the options.  I'm sure no-one would say "Ooh he was involved in Villa's relegation" 

5 minutes ago, dubliner said:

Having a genuine affection for the club and a connection does not bring results.

Maybe not but for me I would really want someone who genuines cares for the club and is motivated by the fact it is Aston Villa and buying into the club,  not just someone after a paycheck.  I think the club has lost a lot of connection with the fan base and is distant and I would like that restored.  I think having that feeling for the club right now is important.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hev said:

Moyes for me too.  However, whoever it is, I will get behind - but I just can't understand this line of thought that says we shouldn't announce it until the end of the Season as the incoming manager will have a relegation on his CV?  That's just ridiculous - we are down now and have been down really for a couple of months.   Anyway, Man City and Chelsea can do it, why can't we announce who it will be with them taking over in the Summer?  Surely that would give everyone a big lift, lord knows, we all need a big lift.  The incoming Manager could even sit in the stands and assess all the options.  I'm sure no-one would say "Ooh he was involved in Villa's relegation" 

What people were talking about was them being manager when we were officially relegated. Now that we're properly down they wouldn't have that on their CV.

Pat Murphy is usually a good source of information, I think it's genuine. When you look at moyes's transfer dealings at Everton, it really is remarkable. He got piennar from Dortmund for 2 million.  Some  bargain. One that really goes under the radar and never gets talked about much but is relevant to us and how shrewd we'll need to be next season was when he signed carsley from coventry for a million i think. Did a really fine job for them. Moyes has a serious eye. If Hollis and Bernstein don't contact this guy I'd be very disappointed. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Hev said:

I agree.  I can see why the new manager may want to wait until we were mathematically down but I'd much rather we got Moyes or someone else in now than watch Richardson running down his contract on the left wing under Eric Black.  It would give him a serious period to work with what we've got to see just how good/bad this squad is.  Obviously if our first choice is still in a job, we will have to wait.  Still, a big part of me thinks Moyes being interested is too good to be true, but fingers crossed.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

Maybe not but for me I would really want someone who genuines cares for the club and is motivated by the fact it is Aston Villa and buying into the club,  not just someone after a paycheck.  I think the club has lost a lot of connection with the fan base and is distant and I would like that restored.  I think having that feeling for the club right now is important.

Moyes took a huge knock to his rep with Utd and Sociedad, some of it maybe warranted, a lot of it not.

I doubt his motivation is financial, after the £5m Utd payoff. His motivation will be rebuilding a fallen giant and in turn his reputation.

• Like 4

Honestly if they give it to Pearson ahead of Moyes (if he is interested) I will and I imagine 80% of the villa fan base will be pissed off. Clearly moyes is who a majority of the fans want. he ticks all the boxes for what we need. i mean do they really want to alienate us further for gods sake by giving us someone like fistface??

Us fans have suffered enough this season, unite the fans bring a big name manager like MOYES and together we back. I reckon with Moyes we would be back within 2 years. I honestly think if Moyes came, we would get a big turnout at his press conference like when MON came. those were the good days gave such a buzz to the place

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Richard said:

You can't have everything and surely that must be one of the lower priorities?