Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Moyes managed Everton from 2002-2013.  Look some of the finishing positions and look at us over the last five years.  Why do people want Moyes?  LOL

2004–05        4

2005–06        11

2006–07        6

2007–08        5

2008–09        5

2009–10        8

2010–11        7

2011–12        7

2012–13        6

My question remains,  what ability does he have to manage a team in the championship who are a shambles and need to rebuild on limited resources.  Show me.  I'm asking the question I'm here to be persuaded.  In fairness league positions with Everton over a period prove not much.

10 minutes ago, Richard said:

He also recommended Mcleish for us

He is allowed the odd mistake.He bought that useless Italian goalkeeper as well BUT who has won as many trophies as him ?! so if he is not worth listening to then .............

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I want Moyes because it would hopefully be a statement of intent. I don't know who would be my ideal choice if budgets, league etc were not factors. However I am damn sure I would feel less hopeful if we employ Pearson, Bruce, McCarthy or similar. 

Who would your first choice be? 

I'd go for Rowett I've said so on here and I think he would be ideal not least because he has a club connection,  he can work in extremely difficult circumstances (sha were arguably worse than us) and I think he would be here semi long term enough and instill a completely new philosophy at the club.

I am not saying Moyes would be crap,  I am just doubting he is right for us and asking to be persuaded of his skills / ability.  

Looking back at Moyes time at Preston...

Am I right in saying that he took them from 15th in division 2, to 3 years of challenging for promotion and then into division 1?

...To finish 4th after promotion

might be wrong, phone isn't exactly making life easy in finding this stuff out.

*Edit* Also just realised that'd be old division 1/2. So modern day championship and division 1. 

Edited by Duck
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he also recommended Alex McLeish. would you take him at Villa? 

He also thinks Van Gaal should stay on at United

Not that I care about Ferguson's opinion at all but there's a big difference between recommending a mate for a job at another club and picking your own successor.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I was actually posing the question as to why people wanted Moyes and expressin my opinion that I'm not sure he is the right person for where we are as a club now.  Did he have to totally rebuild a failing and shambolic Everton? I'll ignore largely what he did at Manure as it was a poisoned chalice but I would just add the ridicule he received on this site and others because of that.  At the time it seemed a strange appointment and not the stature of manager for arguably one of the top three biggest clubs in Europs (then not now).  So what is it about Moyes for us now that prove he can rebuild a failing club on what will be limited resources?

You did also say this:

I really think people want him not for the right reasons but because of what it is a link to

He didn't have to undertake the kind of rebuild he would have to here but then again most managers haven't. Once again, who would be your first choice?

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Not that I care about Ferguson's opinion at all but there's a big difference between recommending a mate for a job at another club and picking your own successor.

He did both.

I've mentioned who I want and people can and will,  no doubt,  take as many pot shots at that as they will.  I'm much like Lescott and Richards though not defensive at all.  Just expressing an opinion.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'd go for Rowett I've said so on here and I think he would be ideal not least because he has a club connection,  he can work in extremely difficult circumstances (sha were arguably worse than us) and I think he would be here semi long term enough and instill a completely new philosophy at the club.

I am not saying Moyes would be crap,  I am just doubting he is right for us and asking to be persuaded of his skills / ability.  

Moyes bought Preston up from League 1 and made it into the Championship play-offs with a very average team. That will do for me. Shows he can do it. His record is there in black and white for Everton. Doesn't need to prove anything. The Man Utd job is a poisoned chalice for anyone since Fergie left. Real Sociedad wasn't great admittedly.

But he would be my choice, as if we did get promoted first time, he would build in the Premiership. I wouldn't trust Bruce or Pearson to do that.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Richard said:

what ability does he have to manage a team in the championship who are a shambles and need to rebuild on limited resources

Preston North End were a perennial shambles when he took over there. I used to go and watch them occasionally, midweek, with PNE supporting mates. He did a brilliant job there. He couldn't quite get them up, but he came very close. Not miracles like Wigan and Blackpool and Bournemouth going up (though 2 of those had decent money behind them), Of course it was a good while ago, but he's done well  in the Endsleigh Leagues.

pickiwedia sez

Moyes took over as Preston North End manager in January 1998, replacing Gary Peters as the club struggled in Division Two and were in danger of relegation. He had spent much of his playing career preparing for management, taking coaching badges at just 22 years of age and compiling notes on managers he had played under, their techniques and tactics.[9] Preston avoided relegation at the end of the 1997–98 season and reached the Division Two play-offs the following season, where they were beaten by Gillinghamat the semi-final stage.

The following season, Moyes guided Preston to the Division Two title and a promotion to Division One. An even greater achievement perhaps was to steer Preston into the Division One play-offs the season after that, with largely the same squad. Preston lost 3–0 to Bolton Wanderers in the 2001 Football League First Division play-off Final, missing out on promotion to the Premier League

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, Richard said:

I wouldn't be totally averse to Rowett, however I don't necessarily think that his 'club connection' as a fan is of merit and likewise his 'skills/ability' beyond working for SHA are untested. 

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

He did both.

I've mentioned who I want and people can and will,  no doubt,  take as many pot shots at that as they will.  I'm much like Lescott and Richards though not defensive at all.  Just expressing an opinion.

Yes I'm aware of that and I'm saying there's a big difference between the two.

I haven't seen you say who would be your first choice. Could you at least point in the direction of the post where you've said that?

6 minutes ago, blandy said:

Preston North End were a perennial shambles when he took over there. I used to go and watch them occasionally, midweek, with PNE supporting mates. He did a brilliant job there. He couldn't quite get them up, but he came very close. Not miracles like Wigan and Blackpool and Bournemouth going up (though 2 of those had decent money behind them), Of course it was a good while ago, but he's done well  in the Endsleigh Leagues.

pickiwedia sez

Thanks for that.  I just think it was a little long ago at a club with different circumstances and expectations to our own.

3 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Yes I'm aware of that and I'm saying there's a big difference between the two.

I haven't seen you say who would be your first choice. Could you at least point in the direction of the post where you've said that?

A few times but you will see in the post above yours Mike references my post about it

EDIT and there may be a big difference between recommending a mate and recommending your successor but as I said he did do both and he did both badly

Edited by Richard

29 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Moyes managed Everton from 2002-2013.  Look some of the finishing positions and look at us over the last five years.  Why do people want Moyes?  LOL

2004–05        4

2005–06        11

2006–07        6

2007–08        5

2008–09        5

2009–10        8

2010–11        7

2011–12        7

2012–13        6

For reference : :)

AVFC

2004-05    10th

2005-06    16th

2006-07    11th

2007-08    6th

2008-09    6th

2009-10    6th

2010-11    9th

2011-12    16th

2012-13    15th

2013-14    15th

2014-15    17th

2015-16    20th

I think Everton finished above us every year bar 1 ?? 

God we have been sh*t for years haven't we ????

Cant believe that :

'David Moyes is interested in the Aston Villa manager's job but is yet to be contacted by the relegated club.'

We should be biting his hand off.  Who else can we get ? Are we waiting for Jose to walk through the front door ?

Edited by richp999