Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

I have to say, if Moyes really is interested and we don't contact him I'll be **** livid. Yes he doesn't have recent Championship experience but he has so many other positives and he's the only realistic candidate who would give the club a huge lift.

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

A few times but you will see in the post above yours Mike references my post about it!

Oh yeah, Rowett. Don't know why you couldn't have just told me but whatever.

He's certainly not at the bottom of my list and I'd take him over someone like Pearson but again, where does Rowett have experience of undertaking the kind of rebuild that will be necessary here? Keeping a tin pot club like SHA in the Championship is a bit different to taking a club like Villa back up to the PL.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Richard said:

Thanks for that.  I just think it was a little long ago at a club with different circumstances and expectations to our own.

Sorry Richard, but I don't see what you're missing.

Moyes ticks literally all of the prerequisites that you've asked for and you're still defiant.

Granted nobody knows what'll happen if he does come in compared to anyone else, but surely you have to agree that on paper he is by FAR the standout applicant?

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

He's certainly not at the bottom of my list and I'd take him over someone like Pearson but again, where does Rowett have experience of undertaking the kind of rebuild that will be necessary here? Keeping a tin pot club like SHA in the Championship is a bit different to taking a club like Villa back up to the PL.

he has done more than keep them up though, have been close to play-off spots most of season and had sell best player and probably one of lowest budgets in league

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MikeMcKenna said:

I wouldn't be totally averse to Rowett, however I don't necessarily think that his 'club connection' as a fan is of merit and likewise his 'skills/ability' beyond working for SHA are untested. 

in terms of his fan connection I really really want someone to have a connection to Aston Villa,  someone who wants to do well for Villa not because they have a pay check.  Someone motivated to care about the club as I doubt we have had a manager like that in a very very long time (Gregory I'd say) so it is important for me as I also think he would be motivated to reconnect the club to the fan base which is something the club is desperately lacking

Yes I know his skills are untested a bit but the job he has done down the road is remarkable really.  They have spent jack all,  have an owner who is absent ,  were a total shambles and heading down another division.  Sound familiar?  Our resources are much better than theirs and I just think he would flourish with us and us with him.  Still it's not my choice and I'm merely expressing an opinion.

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I have to say, if Moyes really is interested and we don't contact him I'll be **** livid.

Sounds like we spoke to him earlier in the season so have an idea of what he'd want in wages and budget.

I assume if we do not contact him its because we dont want to spend that kind of money.

1 minute ago, Richard said:

in terms of his fan connection I really really want someone to have a connection to Aston Villa,  someone who wants to do well for Villa not because they have a pay check.  Someone motivated to care about the club as I doubt we have had a manager like that in a very very long time (Gregory I'd say) so it is important for me as I also think he would be motivated to reconnect the club to the fan base which is something the club is desperately lacking

Yes I know his skills are untested a bit but the job he has done down the road is remarkable really.  They have spent jack all,  have an owner who is absent ,  were a total shambles and heading down another division.  Sound familiar?  Our resources are much better than theirs and I just think he would flourish with us and us with him.  Still it's not my choice and I'm merely expressing an opinion.

Thing is, managing a club is like SHA is massively different to managing a club like Villa. If Moyes isn't properly qualified for the Villa role then I don't really see how Rowett is either.

Moyes has almost always got great value for money, including players from lower and less fancied leagues.  I think Utd would be far closer to winning the title this year if he'd stayed, but of course that's just conjecture.  Plus Zatman has chosen not to back Moyes.  I like the idea of Rowett and have come round to the idea of Pearson but Moyes really is the standout candidate.  If we can get back to the Prem he has shown what he can do with a club of similar size to us.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You asked to be pointed to my posts on my choice.  I did. I could argue back"why you just couldnt have read but whatever" !

I would also say that keeping a tin pot club like sha in the championship is a bit different agreed but also doing what Moyes did at PNE is also a bit different to what he would be asked to do here.  Doing what he did at Evernot is different to doing what he would be asked to do here.  

The Rowett job at sha is much much closer to what would be required here than what Moyes has done elsewhere,  again in my opinion.

I don't really understand the "Championship experience" gambit either.  It's just a league, like other leagues.

The difference with a foreign manager is that they're unlikely to have necessarily paid the division much attention so won't know the players' playing style etc. but Karanka and Carvalhal, for example, have done well this season with their respective clubs.

If a good manager or player is there for the taking, take them.  Moyes falls into the former category.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

Moyes has almost always got great value for money, including players from lower and less fancied leagues.  I think Utd would be far closer to winning the title this year if he'd stayed, but of course that's just conjecture.  Plus Zatman has chosen not to back Moyes.  I like the idea of Rowett and have come round to the idea of Pearson but Moyes really is the standout candidate.  If we can get back to the Prem he has shown what he can do with a club of similar size to us.

very slanderous, I wouldnt have him as 1st choice but I would still back him if he takes over

though if he starts playing Sinclair ill be on his back early ;)

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Duck said:

Moyes ticks literally all of the prerequisites that you've asked for and you're still defiant.

Really?  Here is what I said earlier in the thread....

Club cannot afford to get it wrong, in any way you want to look at it they cannot get it wrong

Need a manager who is not washed out

A manager who is not a "journeyman" manager

Someone with ambition

Someone with the guile and personality to not stand for lazy arsed bastards

Someone with experience of working on a small budget and under difficult circumstances

Someone with genuine affection for the well being of Aston Villa and a connection to the club

Someone not just for the short term ambition of promotion next season but able to stay long term to build a dynasty

Someone who is up for a challenge.

Someone who may very well see Villa as a step up from current role and be willing to come

Someone British (not my sole requirement but a stated aim of a board member)

Great to see so many people favouring 1 person - and in my opinion, the right person.

For me, the reality is that we are a total shambles of a club, and will be in the Championship next season with a mess of a playing squad and Lord Lucan as owner. If we were lucky enough to get someone of the calibre of Bruce or Pearson, we should be very happy about it. I know some will disagree but these 2 have records of improving the lot of their clubs overall, albeit with blips.

If we can get Moyes, that would be dreamland.

We must not forget that what is attractive to managers at the moment is bringing our great club back to life. Get it wrong now, and in a couple of seasons, we'll be alongside the likes of Leeds and Forest as 'sleeping giants' and dealing with someone worse than Lerner trying to buy us, and Steve Evans or Gary Cotterill being lined up as our 3rd coach of the season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

You asked to be pointed to my posts on my choice.  I did. I could argue back"why you just couldnt have read but whatever" !

I would also say that keeping a tin pot club like sha in the championship is a bit different agreed but also doing what Moyes did at PNE is also a bit different to what he would be asked to do here.  Doing what he did at Evernot is different to doing what he would be asked to do here.  

The Rowett job at sha is much much closer to what would be required here than what Moyes has done elsewhere,  again in my opinion.

It took me like 3 tries before you even answered. I just don't see the need to be so secretive?

I'm not really sure what Rowett did at SHA is all that close to the kind of job that would be needed at Villa. Although Lerner has been terrible for us I don't think he's as similar to Carson Yeung as some make out. At the moment SHA's aim will be purely about survival whereas ours from the get-go will be progression, not just about promotion but also about progressing in the PL to midtable mediocrity when/if we go up. Moyes has got lots of experience progressing within the PL with Everton not to mention promotion with Preston. Not only that but he's by far and away the standout name and would be able to attract better players.

2 minutes ago, Duck said:

As I said, Moyes ticks most of those boxes. Not all, but most.

And again, he meets more of those requirements than any other manager are sure to be looking at. So the best applicant on paper.

Agreed. Apart from having "genuine affection" for Villa or seeing the job as a step up Moyes ticks every box.

Which to be honest are absolutely not needed for our manager.

I can't see any manager in the world who matches all of Richard's criteria (half of which are bollocks anyway, imo). Rowett certainly doesn't. 

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 4

The thing with Moyes, is there may be other candidates that could potentially do a better job, but hwe is the only one that I would be 100% confident that we wouldn't be utter Dogs**t under.

And honestly at the moment I'd be happy with that for a few seasons.

Edited by jon_c