Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

9 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

It's the fact that Paddy Riley flew over for talks that caught my attention. Chimed with a story I saw in the Sunday papers that an agent walked out of a meeting arranged to discuss his client's contract when he found it was with Riley and the club secretary.

Has Paddy Riley in fact been in charge of the club over the past season or two?

Yep the days of Randy's private jet flying cross Europe to pick up candidates just for an interview seem to be well and truly over.

Paul Hirst writes in "The Times" today that "The process of identifying Villa's new manager is understood to be 99% complete" and adds that "The board wants the next manager to have an understanding of the Championship". This and our apparently having not contacted Moyes suggests to me he is not the one possibly because they thought he had no interest in the post. The BBC site seems to suggest he may not want to be overlooked after all.      

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, GeneralJazzman said:

Summer recruitment 

But for all we know he may have put forward loads of "better" options but Sherwood didn't want to sign them, or they didn't want to join us.

I think it's a little naive to suggest that the players we signed were our scouting teams number 1 targets. 

Edited by PieFacE

1 minute ago, John said:

Paul Hirst writes in "The Times" today that "The process of identifying Villa's new manager is understood to be 99% complete" and adds that "The board wants the next manager to have an understanding of the Championship". This and our apparently having not contacted Moyes suggests to me he is not the one possibly because they thought he had no interest in the post. The BBC site seems to suggest he may not want to be overlooked after all.      

There's bound to be feelers going out - if Moyes was up for it his agent would make sure the club knew about it somehow.

• Like 1

I think we should ask the new manager who he would like to help him with the task of player recruitment and I would be shocked if any prospective manager would choose Paddy Riley. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, John said:

If I were the club I would do this - play one off v the other 

"OK Nigel if your not happy with terms, we will see what DM has to say" 

I think the leading group, Bruce, Moyes, Pearson, Dyche, all have pluses and minuses. There is no 'Must Have' candidate for me.  I don't think we need to be held to ransom by any one candidate.

5 minutes ago, John said:

I think we should ask the new manager who he would like to help him with the task of player recruitment and I would be shocked if any prospective manager would choose Paddy Riley. 

Id suggest the lads who write the code for FIFA 17

12 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

But for all we know he may have put forward loads of "better" options but Sherwood didn't want to sign them, or they didn't want to join us.

I think it's a little naive to suggest that the players we signed were our scouting teams number 1 targets. 

True, I don't think Riley has done that bad a job, it's the domestic signings that have been the worst IMO.  Amavi and Ayew looked decent quality, Gana has statistically been the second best in the division after Kante or something like that, Veretout had been scouted to the same degree by Leicester who have rightfully had massive praise for their scouting.  The fact that he has survived the cull suggests that he hasn't had as significant a role as is often portrayed in the press.  The Moyes stuff reads like guesswork to me.

Edited by sharkyvilla

4 minutes ago, avfc1982 said:

Why? As punishment for the shit he helped to sign last summer that's why. 

You have no idea how many players he told Sherwood to look at

You have no idea how much involvement he had in the signing of the players we signed

For all you know he may have flagged to Sherwood they were risky signings because of x, y and z....

The fact is, all you know is that he's a scout and he would have provided a list of players to Sherwood. What about if Kante was on that list but they chose not to go for him? Does that make him bad at his job? 

And, for what it's worth, the players we signed in the summer have actually been our better players this season. It's the old players who have been absolutely shocking. 

Edited by PieFacE

31 minutes ago, Pez1974 said:

From the BBC website....

David Moyes is interested in the Aston Villa manager's job but has not yet been contacted by the club.

Nearly six months after being sacked by Real Sociedad, Moyes is keen to get back into football and is attracted by the challenge of reviving Aston Villa. 

He has seen them live recently and would be receptive to talks. But he's aware doubts over next season's budget at the club could delay the process.

Nigel Pearson remains the bookies' favourite and there is also backing for Mick McCarthy,Sean Dyche and Steve Bruce - but Moyes was approached by Villa last autumn after Tim Sherwood was sacked.

Moyes was still at Real Sociedad when Villa's Head of Recruitment Paddy Riley flew over for talks. Moyes asked pointed questions about the quality of the 12 players Riley had helped bring in at a cost of £55m and the talks did not progress very far.

Villa's football board will concentrate this week on their short list of candidates after relegation was confirmed on Saturday. Moyes is certain to be on that list. 

Given the sentence that I've highlighted, albeit without quotes, he seems to have hit the nail on the head before he's walked in the door.

The main questions being "How did you you manage to find so much shit for £55m?" and "Are you sure a video analyst should be doing the things your doing?"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, sharkyvilla said:

True, I don't think Riley has done that bad a job, it's the domestic signings that have been the worst IMO.  Amavi and Ayew looked decent quality, Gana has statistically been the second best in the division after Kante or something like that, Veretout had been scouted to the same degree by Leicester who have rightfully had massive praise for their scouting.  The fact that he has survived the cull suggests that he hasn't had as significant a role as is often portrayed in the press.  The Moyes stuff reads like guesswork to me.

I've said before that the players we didn't sign in the summer were worse than the players we did.

i.e. the players we bought weren't bad, but we failed to address the spine of the team. If we still had Delph then Gana and Veretout would be good signings. If we still had Benteke then Ayew and gestede would be good competition and backup. If we still had a fit Ron Vlaar then our defence would be in much better shape. And if we'd bought a keeper then we'd also be much better off.

But we bought a supporting cast instead of the main players, and that just doesn't work.

My point is it's possible that Riley did fine based on what was asked of him. If it was decided by Sherwood/Fox/whoever that we needed players like that and that people like Lescott and Richards would provide that spine, then you could argue he did a decent job.

That's all speculation. It could of course have been the opposite and Riley drove the whole thing. I'm just putting a scenario out there based on Riley being the only one left after this culling.

To be honest, the most worrying thing is the stuff that came out about our network being a bit of a joke. If that's true and it's Riley's responsibility then he should be held accountable for that.

• Like 3

If Moyes wants the job and the majority of fans want moyes, the board should move heaven and earth to get him.

Could really start to get the fans back onside if they do this right.

oh and provide backing ffs

get it done 

Edited by Duck
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Duck said:

If Moyes wants the job and the majority of fans want moyes, the board should move heaven and earth to get him.

Could really start to get the fans back onside if they do this right.

oh and provide backing ffs

get it done 

We need a big banner for saints game SAYIN "GO GET MOYES"

If others have been contacted and Moyes hasnt its absolutely crazy. hopefully no-one has been contacted yet, thats why Moyes hasnt heard anything

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

True, but I think the recruitment team could of found more cost effective options that would have integrated quicker. I doubt Sherwood wanted this squad, after all he wanted Lennon, Townsend and co.

If certain reports are to be understood Riley didn't follow the requests of Garde either in the window. But I suppose that could be hearsay. 

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

We need a big banner for saints game SAYIN "GO GET MOYES"

No. We really don't.

I want Moyes. He's my first choice by some distance. But that would be pretty cringeworthy.

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

No. We really don't.

I want Moyes. He's my first choice by some distance. But that would be pretty cringeworthy.

We also have a banner every week saying "Lerner Out"

I don't think banners work!

• Like 1

Just now, Stevo985 said:

No. We really don't.

You think so why? The next manager needs to right no more cock ups. Majority of the fans want Moyes and I truly believe he can save this club. Pearson for me would be a big gamble. We have had enough of them. We need proven managers enough with the gambles! If that helps get Moyes so be it!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

You think so why? The next manager needs to right no more cock ups. Majority of the fans want Moyes and I truly believe he can save this club. Pearson for me would be a big gamble. We have had enough of them. We need proven managers enough with the gambles! If that helps get Moyes so be it!

It wouldn't help get Moyes though.