Next Manager/ Season

OneNightInRotterdam

4 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe not but for me I would really want someone who genuines cares for the club and is motivated by the fact it is Aston Villa and buying into the club,  not just someone after a paycheck.  I think the club has lost a lot of connection with the fan base and is distant and I would like that restored.  I think having that feeling for the club right now is important.

I get what you're saying but I just don't see any strong candidates out there who have a connection with the club. In an ideal world there would be

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Maybe not but for me I would really want someone who genuines cares for the club and is motivated by the fact it is Aston Villa and buying into the club,  not just someone after a paycheck.  I think the club has lost a lot of connection with the fan base and is distant and I would like that restored.  I think having that feeling for the club right now is important.

Sounds like Stan Collymore is your man!

2 minutes ago, Mantis said:

You can't have everything and surely that must be one of the lower priorities?

Absolutely. It would be purely a bonus.

If a manager met every single one of Richard's made up criteria except that one, it would be insane to not employ him because of that.

It would be even more insane to prefer another potentially poorer candidate just because they possess that.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TRO said:

What are you wittering on about.....there is a bit of a difference.....embarrassing response.

Maybe i might be more inclined to listen him.....as opposed to listen to you.

The point is fairly clear I think. Just because he's Dennis Mortimer, doesn't mean his opinion is any more valid than anyone else's. It doesn't mean he's correct in his thinking, it doesn't mean he's got that much more insight than anyone else. I exaggerated the examples to try to clarify that. Evidently I was wrong.

You raised Dennis Mortimer's thoughts to back your position. It doesn't mean anything. It's just another persons opinion. It's no more valid than any pundit. It doesn't support or make any more valid. It's pretty much an inversion of the Hitler fallacy - just because Dennis likes it, doesn't mean it's right.

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Is that you Dwight? :D

Just now, Jareth said:

Dear McGrath, please please please can we have Moyes signed up and in place for the Newcastle game.

I doubt whoever we get will be in charge until the summer. I expect it to be announced sooner than that, but I would guess Black will remain in charge of the first team until the season is over.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Richard said:

The obvious way to restore the connection between fans and club is success on the pitch and that is all that will ultimately be cared about (the appointment alone would begin this). I also see Moyes as a pretty genuine guy who certainly isn't afraid of a challenge. He may be motivated by his own interests (restoring his reputation/challenge) but so would 99% of other managers, that's the way it is. 

If the best man for the job wants it, we should make our best possible efforts to get him.