Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

27 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

It's been a problem for as long as I can remember, even in the glory days of mid 90s under little and Gregory we'd concede more late goals than score them. It's just a club trait I'm afraid.

We did score a few late goals under MON but we also concede quite a few for a team near the top of the league. 

I remember last 2 or 3 minutes vs Everton last season was chaos when they got a goal back in stoppage time. I thought we were bound to concede

Regarding the Watford 'smash and grab win'.... Seriously when was the last time villa did this? Apart from the "Romantically nourishing" Everton win, but that was winning after conceding a late equaliser. I VAGUELY remember a game against Sunderland? Where Crouch scored a late winner in like 2002. But I can't for the life of me think of when we last come back from a goal down to win in the last 10 mins. I can think of plenty of times its happened TO us, however.

Although not that late on I suppose you could include the 3-2 Man City win where we turned it round with 2 goals in 2 minutes.

that's been a thing that has frustrated me so much over these past couple of years. as soon as the clock ticks over the magic 80th minute you just know instinctively that we will manage to mess up. surely that has as much to do with fitness as it does fickleness. this really has to be sorted out.

• 3 months later...

Poisonous , defeatist, apathetic, weak, nervous, fragile these are all words that can be used for the majority of those that remain from last season. I'm afraid they are beyond repair.  RDM said it is unafir to judge them on the last 12 months well I'm sorry but it is entirely fair as this is what they are and while they remain we will never progress.  While they remain these words I have used to explain them will still be there .  They will still associate themselves and their performances with these words and last season and the risk is that this then poisons other players that we have signed or youth prospects that we have promoted and want to progress like Green for example.

They need to go,  for their good and our good.  I think they all realise that a fresh start is needed and I am convinced that not many of them actually want to be here.  The only two I think that want to remain now are Hutton and Bacuna.  I think the rest realise for their own good they have to go,  I hope they do anyway.  I hope they still retain enough professional pride to see this.  I also hope RDM realises he cannot change them and that TX is prepared to send sufficiently to resolve matters.

Sure it will not be corrected in 8 weeks and will take a while but the longer the poison is left the harder it will be to correct and then  it will take even longer t sort out.  We have lost a few players and to be honest there is only one I would have made an argument to have kept but in the main I am not unhappy with those who have gone.  However it is tinkering around the edges.  We need to remove now to help the rebuilding and not for this season but to start the process of getting better.  Sure Lescott and Gabby appear to have been told to look elsewhere but they need to be joined by Richards,  Hutton,  Gardner,  Bacuna,  Bunn and for his own sake rather than ours Okore. Need to remove all of those who had a big part to do with last season.  We are mentally scarred ,  they are mentally scarred . We all need closure.

Lots of work to be done I think it has been left too late.

• Like 1

The attitude\culture hasn't changed - because we replaced on weak manager (Garde) - With another (RDM) 

Change the players all you want - until you get a manager who imposes some discipline and commands some respect this will continue.

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

Poisonous , defeatist, apathetic, weak, nervous, fragile these are all words that can be used for the majority of those that remain from last season. I'm afraid they are beyond repair. 

I'd agree with this. whether it's a lack of ability, effort or confidence, or a mixture of them, having certain players in the team is not going to work. Worse, it could adversely affect others in the squad.

If you were to get gangrene on your arm. You don't just patch over it and ignore it. You cut the thing off before it spreads.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

I'd agree with this. whether it's a lack of ability, effort or confidence, or a mixture of them, having certain players in the team is not going to work. Worse, it could adversely affect others in the squad.

If you were to get gangrene on your arm. You don't just patch over it and ignore it. You cut the thing off before it spreads.

Yes, and they all need to go. We have to get rid of them at whatever cost to salvage this season.

5 hours ago, hippo said:

The attitude\culture hasn't changed - because we replaced on weak manager (Garde) - With another (RDM) 

Change the players all you want - until you get a manager who imposes some discipline and commands some respect this will continue.

I don't know about RDM but what exactly are you basing this idea that Garde is "weak" on? If it's because of the way he came across in press conferences then it's totally irrelevant.

I don't know what it will take for people to understand that you don't need to be all shouty to be disciplined.

Seeing these players is painful and deflating, i grew up watching players like Taylor, Southgate and Dion Dublin, real men and leaders and now we have these half hearted players.

MON was the best Manager we have had since Gregory, although he wasted a lot of money, he brought characters into and men into our team. I just hope that we are in transition and that this will become part of a success story of how far we have come from this..

Edited by Reivax_Villa

I agree with all of that TRO. The one thing I've always associated with our club is honest endeavour. Roll your sleeves up, crack on. You can stick your West Ham way, whatever the **** that's supposed to be, give me a return to the Aston Villa way and I'll be a happy chappy. 

• Like 1

I am not advocatiing playing a defensive game that bores the pants off the fans .....but something has to change, we cannot carry on conceding goals that resemble a parks team.

We had 2 players on the pitch that cost 10 Million a piece.....for gods sake.

We cannot continue to losing to everyone we meet....If it means going back to fundamentals so be it....we have to grow in to a game and win the RIGHT to play football.....not come out all guns blazing.

It is totally unacceptable to be undone with the ease that we get undone and lets be honest with ourselves here guys.....with different managers and different players.

What on earth are they doing at BMH.....watching movies

The defence needs to train with rope around their midriff so they can move forwards and backwards together.

Where is the togetherness in this team......I have always looked for little partnerships....I believe the game is about little twosies linking up with each other.

We are like a gaggle of geese been attacked by foxes.....The have gaps all over the shop.

Their  attitude is explained by their play......Happy to be little show ponies spraying balls around with no physical contact.....When the opposition decide to change and close them down they run for the air raid shelters.

Bottleless.

In terms of this alone, probably this period is one of the worst i have ever seen in my history watching the Villa.

Definately not fit to wear the shirt.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

On 02/05/2016 at 11:50, osmark86 said:

that's been a thing that has frustrated me so much over these past couple of years. as soon as the clock ticks over the magic 80th minute you just know instinctively that we will manage to mess up. surely that has as much to do with fitness as it does fickleness. this really has to be sorted out.

Wasn't Massimiliano  Marchesi employed to sort out the lack of fitness?  Wonder if it's working ? :huh:

Very good post from TRO above and is exactly how i feel.  What gives me hope is the signing of Tommy Elphick and that RDM finds a few more like him.  The only way things will change is almost starting from a blank canvas and moving most of these losers on.  I know it's not easy but we must do this in order for things to really make a difference.  I am prepared to give RDM and his team some time. 

• Like 2

Â