Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

One could argue that is it a choice you have to make when you decide to become a professional athlete.

It's no longer possible to maintain a high consistent quality as a footballer or in most other sports if you don't have a professional attitude outside the field.

Such a waste that wastly talented players like Cassano, Mutu, Ronaldinho, Adriano, Guti and countless more didn't have better work ethics or people around them.

I can see why players wan't to enjoy their lives while they are active, but they are being paid extreme sums to be professional athletes and to perform every week in training and on game day.

You really can't have it both ways anymore unless you are among the absolute most talented players in the world, and even then you won't remain at the top if you act like teenager on holiday during season (or between seasons) 

Problem today in the PL is that the money is so big that once you get in and get that fat contract many players lose their motivation, but the clubs can't get rid of them.

We've seen this as much as any club. 

• Like 2

Alcohol why? We've had 3 players pictured out on benders as far as I know. We don't know how much the others drink, but we do know a lot of them have an attitude problem.

I'm sure there's loads of the world's better players today that have the odd drink.

Its the mentality that leads to the drinking being deemed acceptable that is the issue, if you have the mentality that you can go out on a Saturday night after losing, have a session, not have a care in the world, have a party flash a bit of your cash do what you like... Monday morning shake some cobwebs have a laugh about it with your mates

That same mentality will lead to not eating right, not training right, not caring on a Saturday, it's all one and the same, not every players vice will be drinking, I don't think it's as simple as saying "he doesn't drink so he's ok"

• Like 2

I agree, even the world's best can't sustain it. Look at Ronaldinho. The kid was untouchable for a couple of seasons. Granted he's like 35 now but he's just been released by something like a Mexican 2nd division team. 

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Alcohol why? We've had 3 players pictured out on benders as far as I know. We don't know how much the others drink, but we do know a lot of them have an attitude problem.

I'm sure there's loads of the world's better players today that have the odd drink.

big difference between having a sneaky beer or a few glasses of wine with meals, and having a skinful at the club. A professional athlete should know a glass of red at dinner isn't really going to harm their performance or approach to training, but staying up til 3AM doing shots is. 

You're right in that the problem isn't alcohol per se, it's binge drinking and professionalism.

15 hours ago, Zatman said:

If a player drinks 10 pints a week and bangs in 30 goals a season nobody will care. The problem and its the reason its highlighted is that Villa are getting hammered every week its a big thing. I wouldnt imagine much difference between our lads and that many other players in the league for going out and stuff but the other teams dont seem to have a bunch of tossers playing for them

If a player drinks 10 pints during the week and somehow manages to perform to a decent standard, imagine the standard he would be at if he didn't drink or at least drank very little? I would be furious as a manager.

• Like 2

10 pints a week is 2 pints a night with 2 days off. That's probably more beneficial to an athlete than harmful due to the high carb content, protein, fibre, vitamins, magnesium, potassium. There's very little in beer that's actually harmful and the best athletes I know are fairly heavy drinkers.

13 minutes ago, darrenm said:

10 pints a week is 2 pints a night with 2 days off. That's probably more beneficial to an athlete than harmful due to the high carb content, protein, fibre, vitamins, magnesium, potassium. There's very little in beer that's actually harmful and the best athletes I know are fairly heavy drinkers.

absolute lol.

you can get the carbs, protein, fibre, vitamins and minerals from other sources that don't also contain a toxic substance.

Do some learning:

"Some studies show that a small amount of certain kinds of alcohol (namely red wine) may have a protective effect on the cardiovascular system, but even a few drinks can nullify your hard work by erasing the effects of your workouts, reducing your endurance, and compromising your mental fortitude."

https://www.insidetracker.com/blog/post/40093461434/how-does-alcohol-affect-your-athletic-performance

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, darrenm said:

Yeah that's absolute rubbish. That's got to be a joke? High content of proteins, vitamins and potassium in beer? There is hardly any of it in beer. At most 1% of beer is protein, if that.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, darrenm said:

That is **** mental.

Go and ask an Olympian in ANY sport how much beer they drink.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, darrenm said:

CS67945535.jpg

• Like 1

Yeah that's absolute rubbish. That's got to be a joke? High content of proteins, vitamins and potassium in beer? There is hardly any of it in beer. At most 1% of beer is protein, if that.

there was a comma after high carb content to terminate that clause. The rest are in there but not in high amounts.

Just now, darrenm said:
4 minutes ago, bose said:

there was a comma after high carb content to terminate that clause. The rest are in there but not in high amounts.

There are no vitamins in beer. The rest is in such low amounts that it has no beneficial value.

Beer is fine and nothing wrong with enjoying a pint but I stand by what I said that professional football players should take great care of their bodies and when you drink 10 pints a week you're absolutely not doing that.

• Like 2

You should be eating a strict diet as a pro footballer, at least during the season anyway. Say you're eating more calories, 3000 a day, there's about 250 calories in a lager, which are practically nutritionally dead with little to no benefit. That's like 7% of your daily caloric intake in dead calories. If you really want the apparent nutritional value, drink non-alcoholic beer. They should have a glass or two of red wine with a meal after matches at the most. There's plenty of time to get pissed after your late 30's

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mwj said:

That is **** mental.

Go and ask an Olympian in ANY sport how much beer they drink.

I know some very fast runners and they're all heavy drinkers. Not Olympic standard, granted, but it obviously doesn't hurt a great amount.

Â