Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

It's not completely unknown :D, that I'm not a huge admirer of the players that wear the villa shirt right now. I haven't been for sometime in fact. 

The protest last night, although well organised, imo, was directed at completely the wrong people. (At this point I'd like to highlight that I'm not a fan of the decisions randy and the Board have made nor the job they are doing).

However, ashley Westwood's comments last night about knowing the crowd are behind the players despite the protest, speaks volumes imo. They are getting away with murder and have done for years.

I haven't got an issue with players not being good enough but having no fight, passion or desire is inexcusable and is something that starts within. Personnel/environment can have an effect on a person's motivation but for me, that shouldn't be where the blame lies. These players live a very charmed life and I don't think it's too much to ask that they find enough intrinsic motivation to give their very best for 90 minutes a week.

They're not and we're letting them get away with it.

A couple of times a small number have told the players directly what they think and we saw a response albeit minimal.

It isn't a coincidence that every year our players underperform massively and their is certainly a deeper root to the problem. To take AVFC back to the top half of the league again would take a whole new regime without Lerner, without doubt. Nevertheless, I don't think it's too inconceivable to suggest that 11 players giving their all from moment one this season and we would at the very least be competitive in a relegation battle.

We may have gone down this season due to the way the club is being run. However, we are going down in the manner that we are, because the players haven't tried.

• Like 2

for me the problem has to come from experienced players, we have become a retirement home for old players in recent years and usually they are old players that have an attitude or are shit. only Joe Cole from the old players that we have signed I think was probably a good influence at club and no surprise that he wanted to leave to actually play football

1 hour ago, Woodytom said:

It's not completely unknown :D, that I'm not a huge admirer of the players that wear the villa shirt right now. I haven't been for sometime in fact. 

The protest last night, although well organised, imo, was directed at completely the wrong people. (At this point I'd like to highlight that I'm not a fan of the decisions randy and the Board have made nor the job they are doing).

However, ashley Westwood's comments last night about knowing the crowd are behind the players despite the protest, speaks volumes imo. They are getting away with murder and have done for years.

I haven't got an issue with players not being good enough but having no fight, passion or desire is inexcusable and is something that starts within. Personnel/environment can have an effect on a person's motivation but for me, that shouldn't be where the blame lies. These players live a very charmed life and I don't think it's too much to ask that they find enough intrinsic motivation to give their very best for 90 minutes a week.

They're not and we're letting them get away with it.

A couple of times a small number have told the players directly what they think and we saw a response albeit minimal.

It isn't a coincidence that every year our players underperform massively and their is certainly a deeper root to the problem. To take AVFC back to the top half of the league again would take a whole new regime without Lerner, without doubt. Nevertheless, I don't think it's too inconceivable to suggest that 11 players giving their all from moment one this season and we would at the very least be competitive in a relegation battle.

We may have gone down this season due to the way the club is being run. However, we are going down in the manner that we are, because the players haven't tried.

Garde himself says he wants to replace some players but he has nobody.  Yes we can play younger/youth players to an extent but i still wouldnt want to drop them in at the deep end with the bunch of loosers out their at moment on the field.  Do they more harm than good.  Jumble sale needed come June.

I watch a lot of crime stories and quite often the victim is beaten to death with a blunt instrument.

This board has been beating this club and the players with a blunt instrument for years........what do you expect to happen ?

This is fine, but these things start from the top, not the bottom. We didn't just magically buy 13 players in the offseason who don't care, to compliment our existing squad of players who don't care.

It took several years to beat a positive culture out of this club but it's happened, and it's going to take a strong manager running a broom through the entire football staff before we look like being a competent football team again.

Our experienced players are nothing more than journeymen who really do not care anymore and happy to pick up a salary. Then, pretty much every player we signed in the summer lack leadership skills and a set of balls. 

The net result is we have a mentally weak team with no desire, appetite and heart. This truly is the most spineless football team I've ever witnessed, they are not fit to call themselves men. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 2

The club is just rotten isn't it and do agree with you Woodytom. The problem is not just with the board, manager etc.  I'm not even sure who a good influence is amongst our playing staff? Who is vocal and leads in the dressing room? Who is vocal and leads on the pitch?  If I was a young player coming through who would I want to influence me? Players with experience, know how and have seen it and done it.  Richards, Lescott, Hutton, Gabby - no thanks! No wonder we are a mess!!  I only wish we could have a jumble sale in June but realistically that's not going to happen.  However, first signing I would want to make in the summer should be our new captain! Not sure who or what position but someone that is an influence to the rest and a good one at that.

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Our experienced players are nothing more than journeymen who really do not care anymore and happy to pick up a salary. Then, pretty much every player we signed in the summer lack leadership skills and a set of balls. 

The net result is we have a mentally weak team with no desire, appetite and heart. This truly is the most spineless football team I've ever witnessed, they are not fit to call themselves men. 

but we always seemed to sign these players, its nothing new we had Beye and Pires previously plus Heskey (but in fairness to Emile he at least put a shift in he just wasnt very good). Its a retirement home for shit

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

The fact that many of them are not good enough has to be a factor. 

Of course it is but they are good enough to perform better than they have. Without question. Hardwork won't pull up trees in this league but Itl go a lot further than most would expect. 

These players giving 110% each game and we wouldn't be 8 points adrift. It's as simple as that. And there really is no excuse.

• Like 1

IMO the recruitment policy and the people that facilitated it are the people to blame here and not the players themselves. We've been dire for years, long before most of those players signed their Villa contracts. We lost our two most influential players in the summer and failed to replace them with any real quality, one of which was a striker who's goals arguably kept us up the previous two seasons.

Can't believe anyone here is still prepared to back the players and not hold them responsible, they're a shambles and must be held accountable too. Even with a new owner we would be shite on the pitch, time for a wholesale clear out imho.

im so Infuriated by it all I started a new fm game and sold everyone and went on a mission to sign proper players like Kevin Nolan and Naismith.

we have no leaders on that pitch, it's a shambles, the sooner the summer comes the better, I honestly don't know how anyone still turns up to villa park

• Like 1

The problem is , many of the players simply aren't good enough , you can't beat them over the head when Aston Villa have come along and offered them a boatload of cash , do people really expect them to say no im not good enough to play for you.The buck stops squarely at whoever has assembled this squad for me.

• Like 1

Getting rid of Gabby is imperative for so many reasons.

Him being culture bearer in the dressing room is one of the biggest.

Players like Giggs or Terry might have been total asshats away from football, but on the field they led by example.

Club captain " Mr Aston Villa" is toxic to any manager trying to make a change (Imo)

• Like 4

The culture of the club is one of a club accepting their downward trajectory and an owner who has no interest. Players can see this and they watch as the best players (benteke) or players with any ambition (Delph) leave the club. For a club that's run like our's is, then the type of player you will attract are ones that aren't good enough or ones that are just happy to pick up a paycheck. The club needs to show some ambition and set some proper goals and targets otherwise fans and players alike will be united in apathy.

Edited by villa89

But none of this means that OTDO74 is directed at "completely the wrong people" as the OP suggests.

That's an astounding claim.

The quality and motivation of the squad is a reflection and consequence of the lack of nous and sense of direction that has pervaded the club for at least the past 5 years,

And that's down to Lerner and his placemen at the top of the club, and the useless managers they keep appointing.

I would say you could sack the entire squad and recruit a new one and the problems of motivation and application would remain. Things will only get better if the current ownership relinquish control and people who know how to run a successful football club come in.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Â