Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

8 minutes ago, bose said:

There are no vitamins in beer. The rest is in such low amounts that it has no beneficial value.

6 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

there's about 250 calories in a lager, which are practically nutritionally dead with little to no benefit. 

You're both absolutely wrong unfortunately. You should probably research stuff before posting. Randomly selected web site but it's easy to find loads.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/health-benefits-of-beer.html

Beer is a good source of vitamin B12 and folic acid, a deficiency of which may lead to anemia. Vitamin B12 is also essential for maintaining normal growth, good memory and concentration

Beer containsvitamin B6, which protects against heartdiseases by preventing the build-up of a compound called homocysteine. Beer has a thinning effect on the blood and prevents the formation of clots, which cause blocks in the coronary arteries. Moderate beer consumption also reduces the risk of inflammation, the root cause of atherosclerosis, which is cholesterol and plaque building up on the blood vessels and artery walls.

6 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I know some very fast runners and they're all heavy drinkers. Not Olympic standard, granted, but it obviously doesn't hurt a great amount.

maybe they shouldn't be heavy drinkers then.

Just now, darrenm said:

You're both absolutely wrong unfortunately. You should probably research stuff before posting. Randomly selected web site but it's easy to find loads.

https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/beverage/health-benefits-of-beer.html

Alcohol has lots of calories (about 7 per gram), but your muscles are unfortunately not able to use these calories for fuel. Alcohol calories are not converted to glycogen, a form of storedcarbohydrates, and are consequently not a good source of energy for your body during exercise. Your body instead treats alcohol as fat, converting the sugar from alcohol into fatty acids. As a result, alcohol consumption increases fat storage and can adversely affect your percentage of body fat.

Not only is alcohol devoid of protein, minerals, and vitamins, but it also inhibits your body’s ability to absorb these nutrients from food:

Thiamine (vitamin B1) is involved in protein and fat metabolism, as well as the formation ofhemoglobin. Because vitamin B1 plays a role in metabolizing carbohydrates, it is essential to optimal performance.  Vitamin B12 helps maintain healthy red blood and nerve cells. Folic acid is a part of a coenzyme involved in the formation of new cells. A deficiency in folic acid can result in a lower oxygen-carrying capacity, which can negatively affect your endurance. Zinc plays an important role in the process of energy metabolism. Alcohol depletes your body’s zinc resources, which can result in a reduction in endurance.

Lastly, even small amounts of alcohol (0.02-0.05g/dL) can result in a slowed reaction time and decreased hand-eye coordination. Not only can this impair performance, but a slowed reaction time can increase your risk for injury and poor judgment.

2 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I agree with all of that, where does any of that prove me wrong?

health benefits of non-alcoholic elements of beer are totally outweighed by the alcohol itself.

I'm calling bullshit on this:

10 pints a week is 2 pints a night with 2 days off. That's probably more beneficial to an athlete than harmful

Edited by a m ole

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Beer more beneficial than harmful to athletes!  What the actual...!?

In the quantities quoted yes. But it's approaching the level of not.

I think there are some pretty entrenched views here. Some people need to do a bit of research and educate themselves.

3 minutes ago, darrenm said:

I think there are some pretty entrenched views here. Some people need to do a bit of research and educate themselves.

Show me any research that states beer is beneficial for an athlete, and I'll wholeheartedly agree with you.

5 minutes ago, darrenm said:

again, lol, I have researched it extensively and don't need educating. You're wrong.

5 minutes ago, a m ole said:

again, lol, I have researched it extensively and don't need educating. You're wrong.

OK I'll indulge. What specifically am I wrong about and I'll show you where your research is lacking.

8 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Show me any research that states beer is beneficial for an athlete, and I'll wholeheartedly agree with you.

http://www.active.com/running/articles/can-beer-improve-your-run-time

Overall, findings showed that:

• Beer drinkers experienced a greater support for the immune system.
  • Beer drinkers experienced fewer colds.
  • Beer drinkers who experienced colds had shorter, more mild infections than the abstainers.

So you agree wholeheartedly with me?

4 minutes ago, darrenm said:

OK I'll indulge. What specifically am I wrong about and I'll show you where your research is lacking.

10 pints a week is 2 pints a night with 2 days off. That's probably more beneficial to an athlete than harmful

my research is not lacking.

8 minutes ago, darrenm said:

"The participants were separated into two groups, the beer drinkers and the abstainers. The beer drinkers drank up to 1.5 liters of the non-alcoholic wheat beer each day, while the abstainers drank an identical amount of a placebo drink. The placebo drink looked, smelled and tasted like the wheat beer, but it lacked the polyphenols found in the true non-alcoholic beverage."

read your own sources, mate.

Edited by a m ole

Just now, a m ole said:

my research is not lacking.

I must be getting confused. The link I've just posted above proves my statement correct. Here it is again in case you missed it http://www.active.com/running/articles/can-beer-improve-your-run-time

The beer drinkers drank up to 1.5 liters of the non-alcoholic wheat beer each day

Overall, findings showed that:

• Beer drinkers experienced a greater support for the immune system.
  • Beer drinkers experienced fewer colds.
  • Beer drinkers who experienced colds had shorter, more mild infections than the abstainers.

Then, many studies have shown that the longest life expectancy is when a person drinks between 1 and 2 beers a day http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2015/01/21/best-news-ever-one-drink-a-day-is-better-than-none.html

This isn’t the first piece of research to suggest moderate drinking boosts your health: other studies undertaken over the past few years have found that alcohol can boost your libido, extend your life expectancy, decrease dementia and diabetes risks, and evenprevent against the common cold.

7 minutes ago, a m ole said:

"The participants were separated into two groups, the beer drinkers and the abstainers. The beer drinkers drank up to 1.5 liters of the non-alcoholic wheat beer each day, while the abstainers drank an identical amount of a placebo drink. The placebo drink looked, smelled and tasted like the wheat beer, but it lacked the polyphenols found in the true non-alcoholic beverage."

read your own sources, mate.

hands up, I didn't spot the non- bit. I'll find another.

Â