Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

Not quite sure if this requires its own thread so i dug way back to bring up something that I've noticed (from following several of our current players on instagram). With pretty much most of the players staying at home, some have started the "#StayAtHomeChallenge" where they juggle a roll of toilet paper and tag mates to do so (Björn's was posted on the official social media accounts) and our guys were all tagging each other. Not saying that it really means anything, but it does suggest that the lads this time around are "closer" than 2015/16. 

Also saw that Guilbert & Björn posted clips when they played each other in France, and Freddy apparently has a Villa FiFA career mode going as well as a tackle challenge from former clips (he tagged Mings, Hause, & Konsa). 

Not saying that this means much at all, but it still is a little "comforting" that our squad has (what it seems as better) relationships throughout. Especially going back through some of this thread 

Yes, being quarantined at home allowed me to do all this research 😂😂

Although performances have been on the whole crap for quite some time now, I never doubted that this group of players at least had better mentalities than the 2015/16 lot, which was the absolute lowest of the lower in terms of toxicity.

• Like 1

Yeah, I dont think these players have a bad attitude at all, they mostly seem like a decent bunch.

I think the reasons they are struggling this season is certainly not attitude related (on the whole).

On 18/03/2020 at 21:23, Mantis said:

Although performances have been on the whole crap for quite some time now, I never doubted that this group of players at least had better mentalities than the 2015/16 lot, which was the absolute lowest of the lower in terms of toxicity.

It's not even close. This lot are perhaps a bit soft but at least their hearts are in the right place. Those arseholes were a disgrace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, lexicon said:

It's not even close. This lot are perhaps a bit soft but at least their hearts are in the right place. Those arseholes were a disgrace. 

That was a poisoned squad, funnily enough Richards got a lot of stick but I think he was actually just pretty shit but he did put in the effort. Lescott, Richardson, Bacuna, Gabby even Guzan at the end not just crap but didnt try. Was crap players like Clark, Westwood, Hutton but they tried

Funny enough Lescott was talking the other day about his favourite jersey and he said was Villa jersey from the 90s, what a piece of shit if he was a fan

• Like 1

7 hours ago, lexicon said:

Yep. I'd actually be very interested to know which players exactly were so toxic and how. At this point we can make reasonably educated guesses but that's about it.

My thoughts at the time (possibly incorrectly) were that Gabby was the core of the problems. Longest serving member of the squad, brand new bumper contract, but had given up on being a decent professional after O'Neill left. He was massively overweight IIRC? New signings and youth players would've come into the squad and seen Gabby and thought - this is going to be easy street, we don't even have to try here.

25 minutes ago, El-Reacho said:

My thoughts at the time (possibly incorrectly) were that Gabby was the core of the problems. Longest serving member of the squad, brand new bumper contract, but had given up on being a decent professional after O'Neill left. He was massively overweight IIRC? New signings and youth players would've come into the squad and seen Gabby and thought - this is going to be easy street, we don't even have to try here.

He was captain too 😂

Gabby was an issue but management should have got a new leadership group a long time before. In Gabby defence when he did play it was only Garde he put no effort in for. Lambert, Bruce, Sherwood, McLeish he gave his best but he wasnt same player as when he was 21

Edited by Zatman

i think the current lot is confidence more than anything, that's what's causing the inconsistency and mental errors, I don't think we have many out right shit players*and we don't have many chancers taking us for a ride either, one of the problems is inconsistency is incredibly frustrating, douglas luiz is a example of it, theres definitely a good player in there somewhere but at the same time he can have absolute stinkers

I don't look at the current crop and think any of them are toxic and dragging everyone else down meaning new signings are pointless

* taylor maybe? I know a few would say trez and wes but I think they're an example of good attitudes but probably not good enough

Â