Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

8 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

If you were to get gangrene on your arm. You don't just patch over it and ignore it. You cut the thing off before it spreads.

unless your Tommy Elphick

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ferguson1 said:

Very good post from TRO above and is exactly how i feel.  What gives me hope is the signing of Tommy Elphick and that RDM finds a few more like him.  The only way things will change is almost starting from a blank canvas and moving most of these losers on.  I know it's not easy but we must do this in order for things to really make a difference.  I am prepared to give RDM and his team some time. 

I agree with the bolded bit very much. The players who played for us last year became used to losing as a team. There may be some individuals who are talented and could be much more successful footballers but they have no experience of what it is like to play together well and be successful. They only know what it is like to fail together, so even if they are playing well momentarily, if they concede a goal or even come under pressure, heads drop and the old failings set into their game.

I think it is fantasy to believe that the existing squad can be turned round and set on a winning track. Some of them could be come winners with other clubs but not not with Villa. We need to move almost all of them on and start afresh.

• Like 2

I cannot emphasise this enough but I am of the firm belief that there is not one player who played an active part in the season last year that I would be sad to see go.  Not one.  I truly believe that none of them are redeemable at this stage and to keep them here is just not going to help us, the club,  the team,  the fans , the new players recover and make this club better.  they are poisonous,  their attitude is poisonous ,  their state of mind is poisonous they have to go.  I know it is pobably unrealistic for it to happen in one window and thats why i doubt we will get promoted this year but they have to go. I'm not that upset about the ones who have left but what does upset me is that it is tinkering around the edges more have to go.  I'd include Ayew in that as well now after seeing him on Wednesday night.  I could understand his frustration last year in games but he showed it again on Wednesday ,  petulant and pissed off frustrated and angry .  I do not believe he channels it correctly and its the same as last year.  But I dont want people to focus on the Ayew bit of this post as no doubt people will.  The main thrust is that anyone who played an active part in last season has for me got to go.

• Like 1

Just saw this.  Does anyone else think it is a bad idea to have Sky Sports News playing on the way to a match?  If villa have are mentioned I imagine there would be negative comments and predictions - reinforcing bad vibes.  Small point, but I would have them watch something more positive to fire them up - any ideas??

18 minutes ago, Richard said:

I cannot emphasise this enough but I am of the firm belief that there is not one player who played an active part in the season last year that I would be sad to see go.  Not one.  I truly believe that none of them are redeemable at this stage and to keep them here is just not going to help us, the club,  the team,  the fans , the new players recover and make this club better.  they are poisonous,  their attitude is poisonous ,  their state of mind is poisonous they have to go.  I know it is pobably unrealistic for it to happen in one window and thats why i doubt we will get promoted this year but they have to go. I'm not that upset about the ones who have left but what does upset me is that it is tinkering around the edges more have to go.  I'd include Ayew in that as well now after seeing him on Wednesday night.  I could understand his frustration last year in games but he showed it again on Wednesday ,  petulant and pissed off frustrated and angry .  I do not believe he channels it correctly and its the same as last year.  But I dont want people to focus on the Ayew bit of this post as no doubt people will.  The main thrust is that anyone who played an active part in last season has for me got to go.

Can't agree with this Richard, I would keep Amavi......but then I see you've carefully inserted the "played an active part" trap for me to fall into ;)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gary Thomas said:

Just saw this.  Does anyone else think it is a bad idea to have Sky Sports News playing on the way to a match?  If villa have are mentioned I imagine there would be negative comments and predictions - reinforcing bad vibes.  Small point, but I would have them watch something more positive to fire them up - any ideas??

Is that Gary Gardner on the left? No wonder he is off the pace. Carrying about a stone on his face.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

I’ve just started a book from an author called Damian Hughes, about the making of Barcelona. 

It talks about how when Pep took over at barcelona, he was tasked with creating a culture, taking in traditional values of the club. Seems a good idea and something that our board should be implementing. Those who attend the club meetings, maybe could discuss this in more detail with the them? 

But that got me thinking, what traditions do you think of when you think of Aston Villa? 

For me, the main ones are:

1. Hard working - Growing up, I can remember thinking we wouldn’t give anyone an easy ride, if you wanted to win, you had to earn it... this one he definitely fallen by the way side the last few years.

2. The team always features, local or home grown talent, with new ones being introduced  on a yearly basis. 

On 12/08/2016 at 11:30, Richard said:

FWIW - I think you were right...

17 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

But that got me thinking, what traditions do you think of when you think of Aston Villa? 

Perennial nearly-achievements, a perpetual sense of ennui and burying our heads in nostalgia to feel better about it all.

(And doing FA from corners, of course).

• Like 2

Â