Players - Attitude/culture

Woodytom

8 hours ago, av1 said:

@TheStagMan To be fair mate it was half tongue in cheek. Though growing up i have more memories of Eddie the Eagle types rather than the Mo Farahs. :)

Apparently Mo Farah drinks 8 pints of theakstons old peculiar before each race to aid his stamina and keep hydrated. Also has a whisky chaser immediately after the race to aid recovery. FACT 

12 hours ago, sidcow said:

Apparently Mo Farah drinks 8 pints of theakstons old peculiar before each race to aid his stamina and keep hydrated. Also has a whisky chaser immediately after the race to aid recovery. FACT 

You forgot to mention that he stops off in the pub for a swift half, midway through the race. FACT

Guest av1

There has never been a Villa team full of so many unlikeable characters. There is not a single player I'd be particularly upset to see leave. 

41 minutes ago, av1 said:

There has never been a Villa team full of so many unlikeable characters. There is not a single player I'd be particularly upset to see leave. 

I was thinking recently about how much I disliked it when Stephen Ireland was on the team, but if he played for us now, he'd be just another guy on a team full of thoroughly unlikable players.

Guest av1
1 minute ago, JamieZ said:

I was thinking recently about how much I disliked it when Stephen Ireland was on the team, but if he played for us now, he'd be just another guy on a team full of thoroughly unlikable players.

Tragically he would probably get in our team. 

3 hours ago, av1 said:

FACT!!!

Regarding the Watford 'smash and grab win'.... Seriously when was the last time villa did this? Apart from the "Romantically nourishing" Everton win, but that was winning after conceding a late equaliser. I VAGUELY remember a game against Sunderland? Where Crouch scored a late winner in like 2002. But I can't for the life of me think of when we last come back from a goal down to win in the last 10 mins. I can think of plenty of times its happened TO us, however.

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I VAGUELY remember a game against Sunderland? Where Crouch scored a late winner in like 2002

I think your "Sunderland" in 2002 would actually be Middlesbrough in 2004? Crouch scored in the last minute after Nobby Solano had been sent off. Crouchy only ever scored about 5 or 6 goals for us so there isn't a lot to remember,

Yes, we had Peter Crouch in our squad once and he stopped scoring!

7 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Regarding the Watford 'smash and grab win'.... Seriously when was the last time villa did this? Apart from the "Romantically nourishing" Everton win, but that was winning after conceding a late equaliser. I VAGUELY remember a game against Sunderland? Where Crouch scored a late winner in like 2002. But I can't for the life of me think of when we last come back from a goal down to win in the last 10 mins. I can think of plenty of times its happened TO us, however.

For too long we've not had the mentality to win games like that anymore. We've had the odd late winner - heskey at molineaux I think? But very rarely do we come back from the brink of defeat.

In fact we have the complete opposite mentality. We must (over a period of years) be the team at the top of the league of giving 2 goal leads away. We never ever respond either when it happens. Usually end up getting battered for the next few weeks.

I've never seen anything like it really, mentality wise. 

4 minutes ago, rodders0223 said:

Under O'Neill we seemed to smash and grab quite a few wins if memory servese correctly. Milner West Ham...I think??

Yeah remember that, deflected cross.

Not many were from losing positions tho iirc.

11 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I always leave my seat in the last 2-3 minutes and move down to the front where there always seem to be a few empty seats near the exit. I have seen us concede loads of goals from down the but almost never seen us score one. So I can pinpoint these more readily than most people because of my move of location. It is not people's imagination,  we do concede significantly more last gasp goals than we score. Which is ridiculous as these are home games we are talking about and if losing at home in the last few minutes it should be all out assault rather like Watford did to us. 

• Like 1

We won last minute at home to Fulham in McLeish's season.

Wouldn't shock me if that was the last time we won at home in injury time seeing as we've won about 10 home games since then.

It's been a problem for as long as I can remember, even in the glory days of mid 90s under little and Gregory we'd concede more late goals than score them. It's just a club trait I'm afraid.

We did score a few late goals under MON but we also concede quite a few for a team near the top of the league. 

Just now, VillaChris said:

We won last minute at home to Fulham in McLeish's season.

Wouldn't shock me if that was the last time we won at home in injury time seeing as we've won about 10 home games since then.

It's been a problem for as long as I can remember, even in the glory days of mid 90s under little and Gregory we'd concede more late goals than score them. It's just a club trait I'm afraid.

We did score a few late goals under MON but we also concede quite a few for a team near the top of the league. 

Actually scrub that we've all forgotten the Benteke penalty against West Brom last season!

Â