The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

1 minute ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Xenophobic more accurate?

Nope

im not anti migrants I'm anti free movement of EU members, there's a difference

stop 200k low level working Eastern Europeans who come here because of the ridiculous disparity in the minimum wage between our countries and allow trained, qualified, skilled workers and even a higher number of refugees in to the country

any way we choose to do it at least out of the EU we can do it with a measure of control, at the moment we have absolutely none 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Makes total sense. Perhaps we should regret not investing heavily enough in education over the years.

Standards of education in this country are shocking. At my work the other day a guy with 8 GCSE and 2 A levels (including a C in Maths) couldn't work out what 16 foot was in metres, after being told that 8 foot was 2.4m.

One of my nieces, who is a teenager, couldn't point to Africa on a map.

I could go on.

3 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Standards of education in this country are shocking. At my work the other day a guy with 8 GCSE and 2 A levels (including a C in Maths) couldn't work out what 16 foot was in metres, after being told that 8 foot was 2.4m.

One of my nieces, who is a teenager, couldn't point to Africa on a map.

I could go on.

I don't really think (as simple as those questions were) that "that" is education.  To me, Education is more to do with being self aware, what affect you have on others and being able to think independently with thought and cohesion.  As apposed to 2+2 = 4.  You can teach a monkey that.  

But that to me is the problem (and hell, I have been "educated" here).  We're turning more into calculators which can give specific answers to specific questions, rather than thinking about everything. It also doesn't bode well that should you not be able to answer 2+2=4, then you're cast aside from potentially lucrative careers and pushed into labouring (which I've also done! :)) and other menial jobs.  That in itself creates apathy, which leads us into these sort of EU Referendum results.

We reap what we sow.

33 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I'd add ignorant, xenophobic just before brain dead to give a more accurate description. 

So 17 million people are xenophobic imbeciles?

The amount of hate is this thread is disgusting. I voted out, so according to some of the posters in this thread, I must be a ignorant thick racist, amazing.

33 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Nope

im not anti migrants I'm anti free movement of EU members, there's a difference

stop 200k low level working Eastern Europeans who come here because of the ridiculous disparity in the minimum wage between our countries and allow trained, qualified, skilled workers and even a higher number of refugees in to the country

any way we choose to do it at least out of the EU we can do it with a measure of control, at the moment we have absolutely none 

But it works both ways. You won't be allowed to go on holiday so easily plus those low skilled Eastern Europeans come over to do the jobs that lazy, dole queuing Brits can't be arsed to do.

Edited by Ingram85

3 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

If there is a correlation between voting Remain and being better educated, don't we have to admit that there is also a high correlation between being better educated and getting a good job?

Depends what constitutes a "good" job in your own mind.

I assume money is one of the criteria, in which case, no.  Good Education does not always = a good job.

Well, there we go: before lunch.

Smart, getting out. Seems like a sensible choice at this point. I was born in Canada and lived in the UK for 23 years, so my entire life, but I'm considering getting my Canadian passport and jumping ship.

Edited by AVFCforever1991
  • Like 1

Nicola Sturgeon: I Am Preparing For Second Scottish Referendum

Scottish First Minister Nicola Sturgeon says she will begin to prepare the legislation required to enable a second independence referendum to take place - unlikely UK Government could stop it.

She says Scotland faces the prospect of being taken out of the EU against its will but that she will do everything she can to try to keep Scotland in the EU.

She says she will be meeting with the heads of all EU member states to try continue membership of EU and Single Market - and has spoken to London Mayor Sadiq Khan, who has said he wants the same for London. (The United Kingdom of London and Scotland within the EU?).

Sturgeon says may people voted to remain part of the UK in 2014 on the basis of EU membership and now there has been a "material change" in the deal that gives her mandate to go for IndyRef2.

She says the vote was not just about the EU but disaffection with political system felt in too many communities. 

Westminster establishment has some "serious soul-searching" to do, she says, and she hopes they do.

Sturgeon also pays tribute to David Cameron's leadership.

There is a shock

Haven't even officially left yet and the Scots already want to desert the UK. If there is one good thing about leaving its this, screw them

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Something so vitally important to our country and other country's future for generations to come should be so hazardously used as a **** protest vote to show big Dave what we think. How **** thick and short sighted can you get?!

Have the leave voters got any answer other than "let's wait and see"??!!

What other response could there possibly be? No-one has a crystal ball, it's uncharted territory.

2 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Something so vitally important to our country and other country's future for generations to come should be so hazardously used as a **** protest vote to show big Dave what we think. How **** thick and short sighted can you get?!

Have the leave voters got any answer other than "let's wait and see"??!!

YEAAHHH, a good old kick in the bollocks! That'll **** show them!

Incidentally I think the 'voted for leave but didn't expect it to happen' lot are idiots of the highest **** order but capture something of the mood of the political class. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a compromise and the UK remains part of the single market rather than pulling out completely.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

There is a shock

Haven't even officially left yet and the Scots already want to desert the UK. If there is one good thing about leaving its this, screw them

They want to 'desert' the UK because Scotland overwhelmingly voted to stay, they don't want to be dragged out of the EU against their will. It's on my shortlist of places to relocate to, good on them.

• Like 4

Â