The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

13 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Ever been watching a game of football where a team is 2-0 down and everyone scrambles to social media to vent about how the manager is shit , the players are shit and they all need to be sacked

and then the team comes back and wins 3-2 and you've made yourself look rather stupid on the Internet 

its kinda like that out in the world at the moment just instead of the manager being  rubbish all 17m people that voted leave are ignorant , imbeciles , racists and so on and so on

markets fall and then markets rise again , your nice french neighbour who you've lived next to for 30 years won't be deported in the morning , you won't go to hospital today and die ( well no more than usual !! ) your bmw won't activate it's self destruct button

it's half time folks , stop the hysterics and lets see if Pele is going to come back on the pitch 

Yeah but the guys doing the team talk will be the managerial equivalent of Tim Sherwood.

It's Wales that surprises me.

I expected little better by Little England, but Wales have just voted to not have £500m investment a year. Do they think they're getting that funding from Westminster? Not a **** chance.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It's Wales that surprises me.

I expected little better by Little England, but Wales have just voted to not have £500m investment a year. Do they think they're getting that funding from Westminster? Not a **** chance.

It's just another example of what actually decided this referendum. A lot of Wales is poor, and a lot of Wales hasn't seen much migration.

Lo and behold, they vote Leave. Out of fear. Out of ignorance.

And shoot themselves in the foot in the process. Imbeciles.

• Like 4

18 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

This is getting reminiscent of the 1930s. Far right parties across Europe nodding approvingly and agitating for their own countries to withdraw. Economic troubles. Ethnic minorities being blamed for everything under the sun. 

Many well-meaning Leave voters protesting that they aren't racists or idiots, they just want things to improve. Well many of those who voted for Hitler weren't antisemites, just frustrated working people who were being squeezed. But what you wish for is not always what you get. 

A disintegrating Europe swinging to the right, an isolated England (Scotland gone) led by BJ and Gove, Trump in the White House, Putin in the Kremlin, Jihadism on the rise. 

It's not looking good. 

Yes, this could be the beginning of the end of the world as we know it.

49 minutes ago, Chindie said:

It's just another example of what actually decided this referendum. A lot of Wales is poor, and a lot of Wales hasn't seen much migration.

I live in Wales, and a lot of our local business is funded by EU grants. One housing association my company deals with alone, spends upwards of £100k with us a year. For us that is a lot of money. I hope Westminster continues the funding.

The only thing is at least my constituency voted remain. So I'm not completely surrounded by ****.

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

More ignorant imbeciles??

In my humble opinion, the fear vote was remain, fear of leaving the status quo, fear of going alone, fear of standing up for ourselves.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

So when I went to Berlin last month I got 1.31 euros per pound.

Today, I'd get 1.20 per pound.

sigh.

Expect it to drop further but then there's trade offs, it will be bad for imports (which we do a lot of) but good for exports and investment banks are probably having a great time playing the forex right now. 

The job market is the most scary thing, vacancies will almost certainly fall off a cliff and jobs will go as big companies relocate back inside the EU.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I said earlier in the thread, we needed a common enemy to align us all.

Living in peaceful times is just as dangerous as living in war times.

We've always got to be fighting about something.  And as this country is quite famous for, we always look at what we haven't got, rather than what we have.

I feel disappointed and sad.  We're looking quite lonely at the moment, and I'm always an advocate of working within a team.  The EU was designed (initially) to unite a Europe which had torn itself apart, twice..

I also fail to see the bright side of the immigration debate.  Are the people who are immigrating not allowed to put themselves in a place where they feel they can do well for themselves and their families? I know that if I was born in a poor place, I'd be looking to move to where it seems is prosperous.  

I wonder what everyone is expecting now?  What affect they think isolating ourselves in such dramatic fashion is have on themselves and others?

We've jumped another mile to the right, giving even more legitimacy to Nigel Farage and co.  I'm very worried.  And as has been said previously, I couldn't feel any less British today, than I ever have done previously.  Cool Britannia is truly dead.

Perhaps I'm demonstrating some 'fascist tendencies' here but I believe that parliament should absolutely overrule this decision.

13 minutes ago, RimmyJimmer said:

More ignorant imbeciles??

In my humble opinion, the fear vote was remain, fear of leaving the status quo, fear of going alone, fear of standing up for ourselves.

Wales have voted against £500m/year of funding, if they think they're better off out of the EU, they are imbeciles. 

• Like 3

One of the lads from my football team (who is a proper nugget) and has been championing the Leave campaign (which is fine..) has gloated on our group chat thing.

When I said, "ok, but what do you think about economy, nhs, immigration etc", he replies "listen, it's done now, the people have voted, no one knows what's going to happen now, it's all guess work" 

:angry:

Well, no actually. It's not guess work whatsoever.  In the time it took you to write that down, our entire economy has fallen another %.  We were informed by institutions, experts and companies whose sole purpose is to deliver this knowledge, and you've ignored them, because you couldn't be arsed to have a look, yet were so certain that you'd (we'd) be better off out of the EU.  I hope you like being even poorer you numbskull.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

FTSE 100

6,055.94 -282.16(-4.45%) seems to be leveling out now.

I've lost a 5% on one of my investments then!

As I said, Mark Carney made a terrific speech and that has helped revert the initial 7% drop, but it's not clear this is the 'bottom' really depends short term on how the other Euro markets and then how the US markets react when they open. 

Then over the next few months you will start to see effects on the 'real' economy so again having more of an impact. 

You have to say, it's pretty damn obvious that investment will fall so expect the FTSE to fall further, and then of course, if investment falls, GDP will fall unless the government can match the drop one-for-one by, you know, spending money.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Â