The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

11 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Smart, getting out. Seems like a sensible choice at this point. I was born in Canada and lived in the UK for 23 years, so my entire life, but I'm considering getting my Canadian passport and jumping ship.

Let me come plz.

14 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

While you may not be racist, you voted for the team that was openly racist and xenophobic throughout the campaign, and now the wishes of 17m people have left a lot of people feeling deeply uneasy about their futures and place in society because a majority voting for Farage and co suggests that it is OK to feel that way toward immigrants, which it frankly isn't in any decent society. Boris seemed to acknowledge as much in his speech, but I think he knows better than anyone that he's helped to unleash powers and sentiments that he can no longer control. It will take one hell of a job to appease people when the economy is still slow, inequality remains high, and healthcare remains in trouble. What will they do then?

He gets to be King for a day which is probably all he wanted. Boris is independently wealthy so he'll be unaffected by this personally after he's done his shift as PM. 

1 minute ago, KJT123 said:

Can we rejoin the EU in the future? How long would we have to wait for another referendum?

Don't quite a few of the other member states have vetos? It's hard not to see at least one of them using it to make an example of us, if we ever did want to rejoin.

In practice, who knows. Greendland is the only other country to have left the EU. Nobody's ever rejoined.

Can we rejoin the EU in the future? How long would we have to wait for another referendum?

From memory, all (now) 27 member states would have to unanimously agree for us to rejoin - which is unlikely anytime soon as there's a high level of uncertainly and this Brexit stuff will likely affect the Euro, not just the Pound.

I should imagine feelings toward the UK from EU states fighting against increased support for the right-wing may well be "hardened", and they'll refuse to let us back (if we wanted to be) easily at all.

There is every chance that our decision to leave could create a domino effect. Dutch politicians are already talking about the possibility of a referendum and it's fair to assume others will follow suit. The EU could could be ripped to peices in few years.

With that in mind, i believe that there is no going back. 

4 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Those who think we can open up to China should think again. China always saw us as a key strategic partner for Europe, in other words the UK was seen as a sort of European gateway for China. 

So not anymore huh.

How much have we already spent trying to tie up trade deals with China? I suspect it's enough to build a fair few 'new hospitals' 

Just now, jon_c said:

How much have we already spent trying to tie up trade deals with China? I suspect it's enough to build a fair few 'new hospitals' 

The landscape has changed and the benefits which we can offer China aren't what they were. I don't imagine China will be pouring investment into the UK whilst the economic outlook is highly suspect and that gateway to the rest of Europe is shut. 

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

The landscape has changed and the benefits which we can offer China aren't what they were. I don't imagine China will be pouring investment into the UK whilst the economic outlook is highly suspect and that gateway to the rest of Europe is shut. 

S**t no one tell Dr Xia.

I can't see why any other country or international country would continue funding in the UK, at least for a few years until the future is more certain. We've given a collective middle finger to international trade.

22 minutes ago, AVFCforever1991 said:

Smart, getting out. Seems like a sensible choice at this point. I was born in Canada and lived in the UK for 23 years, so my entire life, but I'm considering getting my Canadian passport and jumping ship.

Good idea. If we are to become a remittance economy, which some seem to be predicting, we'll need people working in other countries sending money back.

• Like 2

Â