The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

This is a post on Reddit so take it with a pinch of salt as it's just one person saying it with no corroboration, I imagine it may become a story in the not too distant future though

Well we were informed today by a supplier that a no deal Brexit means they are pulling out of supplying the UK. The problem is the product they sell is the only one labs can use for a certain test in the water industry.

Its caused the DWI (drinking water inspectorate) to lose its shit because the regulation is fixed and there is no viable alternative. It will leave the entire UK water supply vulnerable within a few months once current stocks of the reagents are gone.

It may be possible to get the supply via third parties, but its already extremely expensive and slow to get it directly.

Got to love that sovereignty though.. right?

Reddit Topic on todays votes

If true, these f***tards are prepared to risk our water supplies

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bickster said:

This is a post on Reddit so take it with a pinch of salt as it's just one person saying it with no corroboration, I imagine it may become a story in the not too distant future though

He’s probably referring to Lange based in dusseldorf ... wholly owned by Hach (themselves owned by another company )who are  are based in the USA .. Lange supply to Europe and North Africa who most definitely aren’t in the EU so I dunno it seems unlikely ... or worse case we just buy the reagent from America

the DWI website refers to EU directives on water quality and says nothing will change on leaving the EU

”The DWI do not expect the departure from the European Union to compromise this in any way, whether in the immediate aftermath or in the longer term”

of course it it could be argued “ well , they would say that “

16 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

We deserve everything we get for being such a large country of idiots.

The Silver bullet of another referendum is a very dangerous place to go in the current political climate and you have highlighted exactly why.

I would not bet of the referendum result in the UK,   would anyone ?  

Not sure if anyone knows about this is NL but it is relevant to the thread I think in reference to the possible UK referendum down the road.

(As an example, 2 weeks ago we had local elections in NL,  a totally new party (I had never heard of it) that is against all the climate change costs and tougher on immigration won from nowhere.  In Holland 🤔.  It was a UKIP moment to be fair.   They  smashed it to be fair to them.)  There logic on climate change is relevant to NL only I suppose but a different way to look at it.

10 hours ago, bickster said:

Stop scaremonging bicks. Any repercussions after brexit is obviously scaremonging according  to people who want to leave. 

36 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

The Silver bullet of another referendum is a very dangerous place to go in the current political climate and you have highlighted exactly why.

I'd bet on the result of any vote in this country.  They generally go the way I don't want them too.

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I would bet on the results being 52/48 again, just for poetic justice 

• Thanks 1

If we have another referendum (whatever deal Parliament and EU can agree on v. Remain), and it goes for Leave again, fine, OK, I'll stop complaining. Let the consequences ensue. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, snowychap said:

A Gammon faced throbber railing against "the foreigns" -  I think it's perhaps because he was maybe bullied at school for being thick and for having a French name, "thicky stinky Frenchy" and this led to the sad farce of a man we now unfortunately see before us. Turned into a hater by the kids who could understand lessons and pass exams and do thinking.

• Like 2

the green lot seem a bit defensive. Are people really going to stop switching diets because some element of their food gets technically labelled disks or tubes? Seems an needless intervention but I find it hard to rustle up a strong feeling towards it

30 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

This is literally the best advert I've seen for Brexit. :D 

Good.

It's like those people eating Quorn - I have nothing against it, it might even taste good for all I know. 

But as a carnivore I don't dress up my steak and call it a salad. 

Rant over 😂

It's been discussed a lot in the veggie thread, but here's my take on it:

very few people are vegetarian/vegan simply because they don't like the flavour, so what's the problem with creating similar flavours/textures and using a language that'll let people know roughly what to expect?

It's not confusing anyone, it's not like you're going to ask for a chicken burger in a mainstream restaurant and end up with the vegan option.

What I don't get is why meat eaters feel so worked up about vegetarian burgers and sausages.

The sausages example shows how ludicrous this whole discussion is. "Veggie tubes" unless they contain meat? The Glamorgan sausage has existed for 200 years, and people want it to have to be called a veggie tube because they're so insecure they can't have vegetarians using their words? It's absurd.

Oddly, I expect there's a significant overlap in facial hue between people that will love this news, and people who get angry about EU bureaucrats sticking their noses in where it's not wanted. :) 

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 4

I'd have a guess, having not read the article, that any EU ruling on vegetarian naming would be down to the EU having quite strict criteria on food definitions and so on. I'd not be surprised if it came down to a burger being considered only as a meat based patty with a specific content of meat, and the same being true for sausages (I believe this is why some cheap sausages are sold as 'bangers', because they don't align with the requirements to be considered a sausage).

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I'd have a guess, having not read the article, that any EU ruling on vegetarian naming would be down to the EU having quite strict criteria on food definitions and so on. I'd not be surprised if it came down to a burger being considered only as a meat based patty with a specific content of meat, and the same being true for sausages (I believe this is why some cheap sausages are sold as 'bangers', because they don't align with the requirements to be considered a sausage).

Which is exaclty what will happen in this case. They won't be called Veggie tubes, they'll be called veggie bangers, or franks or whatever.

This is exactly the kind of story that's get twisted to be anti EU. But it's these strict food laws that stop us being fed the absolute shite meat and other food they sell for cheap in places like the US

• Like 3

Â