The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

10 minutes ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

I'm not so sure,  I don't think they are even written down yet so they can't be leaked (I would do that to be honest as well in their position).  They are just leaking old stuff on purpose so they can (in their heads) have a big jump out the cake moment just before whatever deadline.

To be fair, I think @chrisp65 has hit the nail on the head. What this government has shown in its very short existence is that it doesn't know its a*** from its elbow. Its just going to be punting stuff out until something sticks and declare that was its plan all along. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think that if Boris brought together a plan that granted the UK half of France, free unlimited Chinese rice and a German saloon car to every UK citizen over the age of 18 he would still be laughed out of the room.

He cannot win at this point, the ship has sailed.

I think that’s exactly why they are laughed out of the room. They keep on promising unicorns for everyone in new exciting colours.
They are trying to turn a cultural and political problem in to a purely trade issue. What they appear incapable of understanding, is people couldn’t give a shit about the rate of tax on the contents of a lorry. It’s the stopping of the lorry, that’s got people heated or worried (rightly or wrongly). We got used to not having border guards, either on the border, or behind the bushes in a DMZ. But not only that, they’re also under the impression it’s a trade issue where we have the overwhelming strong hand. I’m fairly confident that a significant number of these Brexiteers genuinely believe their own hype, that the EU will be cut off without us.

If they stopped promising us everything will be better and trade will flourish and we will have better german cars and better French holidays and have all the cakes and eat all the cakes and stay thin. If they stopped doing that, and told it straight. I think people would accept it far more easily.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

I think that if Boris brought together a plan that granted the UK half of France, free unlimited Chinese rice and a German saloon car to every UK citizen over the age of 18 he would still be laughed out of the room.

He cannot win at this point, the ship has sailed.

On the contrary, he has the vast majority of the nation's political media behind him, and if he could come up with anything that even looked a bit like a win, his cheerleaders would be shouting about it. It's a sign of how impossible it is to escape the red lines and contradictions of the Tory position that he hasn't even achieved that. 

• Like 1

The idea that the Irish backstop is the only problem that Johnson needs a solution for is ludicrous. The whole Brexit concept is disastrous in its entirety. We’re still going to see our economy struggle to cope with unnecessary trade barriers. An open border in Ireland and 10 hour delays at Dover is no solution.

2 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Political ideas to match his style of football. Rough, aggressive, and stuck in the dark ages. 

Blimey.

His entire page is just retweets of Leave talking heads and shite aimed at 'remainers'. Proper gone off in the dead end.

• Like 1

Sorry to spam but it just hit me we leave in less tha  a month. Shitting it  

The law says we have to ask for an extension if no deal but I don't trust at all. 

Sad state of affairs that we cant trust the PM to follow the law anymore. 

I hope this is all worth it brexiteers. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

The law says we have to ask for an extension if no deal but I don't trust at all. 

It's **** bollocks.

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

Ireland's constitution demands a referendum for significant legislation changes. They originally rejected the Lisbon treaty over concerns with some of its provisions. Those concerns were addressed, it went back to the people, they agreed with it, it passed.

Of course if you're a 'Eurosceptic' (snigger), this actually meant that the EU didn't like lil' ole Ireland saying no to it so forced them to do it again until they came back with the right answer.

Which is bollocks.

Obviously our Irish posters can elaborate on that but that's the gist of it. It's a little different to the Brexit situation. A second Brexit ref would be more confirmatory in light of more information, than seeking approval for an amended legislation.

Yep, that's the gist. Small addendum: the constitution demands a referendum for any constitutional changes. Because we enshrined the EEC Treaty into the constitution back in the day, it means any new EU treaty requires Irish voters' consent. Clever move, eh?

So yes, the idea that the EU forced Ireland to vote again is absolute nonsense. If anything we used our "referendum card" to extract concessions from the EU on Lisbon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, StefanAVFC said:

I can't see us leaving this month... it'll carry on like this for the foreseeable IMO

• Like 1

Â