The now-enacted will of (some of) the people

blandy

No. It's just a hard border that isn't strictly at the border, which apparently makes everything alright.

Oh and some whacky technology solutions which won't work. And the very concept of some of them is going to make an area that historically didn't much like being treated like everyone was a terrorist waiting to happen, react rather badly.

7 hours ago, Chindie said:

No. It's just a hard border that isn't strictly at the border, which apparently makes everything alright.

Oh and some whacky technology solutions which won't work. And the very concept of some of them is going to make an area that historically didn't much like being treated like everyone was a terrorist waiting to happen, react rather badly.

And the Irish has (rightly) thrown the "proposal" out after a couple of hours.

Cue the blame game, oh those nasty Irish/Europeans wanting us to hold to an agreement that's kept a hard won peace for the last 20 years. How dare they.

History won't be kind to a British government that violates the GFA. 

Goddam EU Rules, what did they ever do for us.

Household appliances will become easier to repair thanks to new standards being adopted across the European Union.

From 2021, firms will have to make appliances longer-lasting, and they will have to supply spare parts for machines for up to 10 years.

The rules apply to lighting, washing machines, dishwashers and fridges.

But campaigners for the "right to repair" say they do not go far enough as only professionals - not consumers - will be able carry out the repairs.

The legislation has been prompted by complaints from consumers across Europe and North America infuriated by machines that break down when they are just out of warranty.

Owners are usually unable to repair the machines themselves - or find anyone else to do it at a decent price - so are forced to buy a replacement

BBC

1 hour ago, Amsterdam_Neil_D said:

Boris on BBC breakfast live at the moment.

Brexit: Boris Johnson rejects leaks over Irish border plan

Boris Johnson has rejected leaked claims overnight that the government has proposed "customs clearance zones" to tackle the Irish border issue.

Government sources told the BBC it had prepared the legal text of an updated Brexit deal and would be making more plans public in the coming days.

But Mr Johnson told BBC Breakfast he was "not going to be producing now what we are going to be tabling" to the EU.

The leaked proposals were "confused" and "not right", the PM added.

[more on link]

So, because leaks were "wrong" and "confused" your not going to show us what you actually have done, even though you have said you will?

I'm going to out on a limb here, but I think these "leaks" may be accurate... 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

I'm going to out on a limb here, but I think these "leaks" may be accurate... 

I'm not so sure,  I don't think they are even written down yet so they can't be leaked (I would do that to be honest as well in their position).  They are just leaking old stuff on purpose so they can (in their heads) have a big jump out the cake moment just before whatever deadline.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just standard leak methodology surely?
You’ve had an idea but you know you have no reliable checking or sense checking mechanism, no way of gauging if it’s a good idea or the wild child neo nasty product of a late night with Cummings.
So you leak it and get the instant feedback.
If the feedback is that its obviously awful in these 35 ways, then it was an unfounded rumour.
If the reaction is that it might actually fly, that’s your full and frank consultation process.

I am expecting a "Inception type solution" where NI is folded above Eire and thus, no border.

So like the below and people just throw stuff up and down to trade,  no checks needed. Flying cows and that.

image.jpeg.2588ec174d217a06aa4a56d4a8db5481.jpeg

4 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Just standard leak methodology surely?
You’ve had an idea but you know you have no reliable checking or sense checking mechanism, no way of gauging if it’s a good idea or the wild child neo nasty product of a late night with Cummings.
So you leak it and get the instant feedback.
If the feedback is that its obviously awful in these 35 ways, then it was an unfounded rumour.
If the reaction is that it might actually fly, that’s your full and frank consultation process.

I think that if Boris brought together a plan that granted the UK half of France, free unlimited Chinese rice and a German saloon car to every UK citizen over the age of 18 he would still be laughed out of the room.

He cannot win at this point, the ship has sailed.

Â