Favourite Animals

chrisp65

17 hours ago, Seat68 said:

I like penguins. A lot. My wife has bought me one of them feed the penguins experience days usually aimed at kids. 

Penguins are boring and they get a disproprtionate amount of TV time for what they actually do. There, I said it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Shocked 1

On 03/11/2020 at 18:17, Seat68 said:

I like penguins. A lot. My wife has bought me one of them feed the penguins experience days usually aimed at kids. 

When I think penguins I think lost and found which brings a massive smile to my face remembering watching it for the first time with   my first born Son

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

It's a tough life for animals on the planes of Africa, something I didn't fully realize until recently watching videos on youtube, the nature documentaries don't show just how savage it can be, and understandably so.

• 3 months later...

Sometimes I look at a picture of a Giraffe and think to myself, if I was born into a world in which they didn't exist but only in the pictures books depicting long extinct animals, I'd wonder how strange it would be to see one of these unusual looking animals alive today.

Giraffe.jpg

• Like 1

I have been obsessed with Cheetahs since primary school inspired by buying a Cheetah bookmark at a school book fair. I still have it today. The obsession has grown into cheetah art, books and charitable support. 

@useless makes a good point above. It amazes me how quickly some of these animals adapt to a 'new' surrounding, or have to adapt. I recommend 'The Spotted Sphinx' by Joy Adamson as a powerful read into the life of Cheetah mother. It has one of the most incredible viewpoints on 'man' I think I have ever read. There is also 'Pippa's Challenge' which is the ill-fated sequel but also telling. 

Here is a recent picture from The National Geographic that I liked. 

Closer to home, I like Common Buzzards and Kestrels. If the weather is favourable, I'll happily go and track some down. I have more success with the Common Buzzard! 

Cheetah in the Snow South Africa V2.jpg

Edited by knoppy1987
  • Like 1

• 8 months later...

There are estimated to be 35-40 million moles in the UK and the mole that lives with us is known as the common or European mole. The correct or Latin name is Talpa europaea.

Edited by useless
I meant to say that I'm surprised there are that many because I've never seen one.
  • Like 1

Â