Favourite Animals

chrisp65

50 minutes ago, useless said:

It looked similar but wing shape looked different when spread out, I'm starting to wonder if it was someone's escaped pet or something, so maybe a bird not even usually native to the UK.

F8AEDAE6-8D5C-444F-9424-4915DDD5E2B8.jpeg

Wing shape can look different from different angles 

Top of the wings curved down, forming an almost perfect semi-circle shape between the two wings, it was very distinctive. It might not even have been a bird of prey, was only the beak that made me think that it could be.

• 2 weeks later...
On 03/02/2023 at 21:22, useless said:

They're bringing Wooly Mammoths back to help the environment, apparently it's an actual thing that's going to happen in the next few years. Looking forward to seeing them as obviously never seen one before.

Would certainly be interesting have you got any more information on where they will live and in what country? but how is this any different to grass reared beef c  cattle grazing marginal land? The emphasis on grass reared not grain fed.

I don't know any of the complicated details, but I think it's going to be more of a cross between a mammoth and an Elephant initially, but will still look and behave like a wooly.

This is from Guardian article

"For instance, mammoths are proposed as a solution to help stop permafrost thaw because they will remove trees, trample and compact the ground and convert landscapes to grassland, which can help keep the ground cool. However, we know in the forested Arctic regions that trees and moss cover can be critical in protecting permafrost, so removing the trees and trampling the moss would be the last thing you’d want to do.”

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

Always wanted to see manatee's in the wild …i thought i read that  they have them in the Dominican Republic but wasn’t totally sure kinda sounded like they were in a sanctuary type area 

first day of the holiday ,  The boy and I picked a random spot on the beach  and snorkelled out then threw  a few random turns here and there and blow me if we didn’t swim into a manatee and it’s calf , we spent about 10 mins just snorkelling near by observing them as they were eating and talking to each other .. literally within 5 mins of being here

probably no point going back in the sea now it will be anti climactic every time :) 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

Always wanted to see manatee's in the wild …i thought i read that  they have them in the Dominican Republic but wasn’t totally sure kinda sounded like they were in a sanctuary type area 

first day of the holiday ,  The boy and I picked a random spot on the beach  and snorkelled out then threw  a few random turns here and there and blow me if we didn’t swim into a manatee and it’s calf , we spent about 10 mins just snorkelling near by observing them as they were eating and talking to each other .. literally within 5 mins of being here

probably no point going back in the sea now it will be anti climactic every time :) 

Hate to disappoint you, but that was probably a mermaid you saw.

Â