Favourite Animals

chrisp65

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dunno if its frozen planet or planet earth but the scene where there's a seal on a sheet of ice and they swim in a way that creates a wave to knock it off its proper top tier mind blowing animal doc TV

yep. but having done that they basically headbutt the poor seal to death. bastards they really are

as it's the favourite animals thread, as you can tell, i'm a fan of a seal

11 hours ago, tomav84 said:

to save starting a thread about least favourite animals i'll mention it here, anyone watch frozen planet 2? everyone bangs on about how sad it is that killer whales are endangered, but those **** are horrible! literally batter seals to a torturous death. they kill just for the sport of it too

They're hyper intelligent though. They're the closest to us in fish form. They basically know what's going on. Their tactics are better than Steve Bruce.

• Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

I remember the night Michael Jackson died and I looked out the kitchen window about three in the morning and saw an Hare running around, which I thought was kind of weird at the time but apparently they're nocturnal.

52 minutes ago, useless said:

I remember the night Michael Jackson died and I looked out the kitchen window about three in the morning and saw an Hare running around, which I thought was kind of weird at the time but apparently they're nocturnal.

Screenshot_2022-11-14-21-55-56-93_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4.jpg

1 minute ago, It's Your Round said:

Honey badgers are in the top one of coolest animals. Little dangerous snake killing, lion bashing badasses.

782129F4-0242-4774-8067-1E03A57E1610.jpeg

No animal that looks like Gerry Francis could stake a claim at coolest animal. 

image.jpeg.0a0e4a721e8798bd712a119837dfc055.jpeg

• Haha 2

• 2 months later...
On 30/10/2022 at 05:33, Dodgyknees said:

Cheetah. Golden Eagle.

Probably posted Cheetah in this thread somewhere myself. Love cheetah art and have it dotted around the house. 

Similar with birds of prey, but more common. Common Buzzard. A good walk for me is seeing as many of them as I can. Easy to spot soaring but fairly elusive at lower levels. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, knoppy1987 said:

Similar with birds of prey, but more common. Common Buzzard. A good walk for me is seeing as many of them as I can. Easy to spot soaring but fairly elusive at lower levels. 

Screenshot_2023-02-02-22-05-23-10_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, knoppy1987 said:

I picked  the boy up from school one day last year … it’s a wee bit remote and as we came to a junction between two fields a buzzard came swooping down inches from the windscreen and grabbed a rabbit from the side of the road and flew off again 

was a spectacular thing to witness 

• Like 2

Recently in the park I accidently called a robin a 'prick', I was watching it as it kept flying at another bird which seemed normal to me as I think they're quite territorial, but then suddenly it flew fast towards my face this made me panic and I spilt hot drink on my coat and on the memorial bench I was sitting on, I couldn't help it and shouted - but under my breath, 'prick' the robin landed on arm rest and because i was still shocked and angry I shooed it away before wiping the bench with my coat sleeve as it's in memory to someone.

I didn't want to stay on that bench after that, so moved, and in a tree I saw another bird, one that I'd never seen before, was very light orange with grey head and tail, beak looked kind of like a bird of prey's but not sure if was as I've looked at images and can't find a match, also when it spread out it's wings they had a really pronounced circular shape, like it's wingspan looked like a semi-circle.

8 minutes ago, useless said:

Recently in the park I accidently called a robin a 'prick', I was watching it as it kept flying at another bird which seemed normal to me as I think they're quite territorial, but then suddenly it flew fast towards my face this made me panic and I spilt hot drink on my coat and on the memorial bench I was sitting on, I couldn't help it and shouted - but under my breath, 'prick' the robin landed on arm rest and because i was still shocked and angry I shooed it away before wiping the bench with my coat sleeve as it's in memory to someone.

I didn't want to stay on that bench after that, so moved, and in a tree I saw another bird, one that I'd never seen before, was very light orange with grey head and tail, beak looked kind of like a bird of prey's but not sure if was as I've looked at images and can't find a match, also when it spread out it's wings they had a really pronounced circular shape, like it's wingspan looked like a semi-circle.

A (male) sparrow hawk ? 

Edited by tonyh29

19 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Screenshot_2023-02-02-22-05-23-10_965bbf4d18d205f782c6b8409c5773a4~2.jpg

Perfect picture. Kee-yee-yah’ing no doubt! 

I’m limited to binocular shots but enjoyable nonetheless.

I recommend a book by Peter Dare about Common Buzzards. A great history of them dating back to early post-war in Devon, Snowdon, and The Lakes.

Â