Favourite Animals

chrisp65

28 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The SIFF World Cup proved that Kangaroos are my favourite animal.

(Also, that thread was home to some of useless' greatest ever posts)

That thread is genius.

I was clearly too young when the sport was invented to know what it felt like in the beginning and hope that all the money Sky and other sponsors bring doesn't result in games being moved to 2am in Alaska when the 2018 World Cup begins. It would be ashame to lose the real fans to a load of Honey Badger/ Elephant half and half scarf brigade eating their Prawn sandwiches... well, assuming te Prawns don't qualify from the Oceania group.

But in answer to the original thread; Cats. The answer is cats. Even when evil, cats. 

• Like 2

after inebriated pandas I'm currently going with baby elephants. Admittedly this is due to my partner who adores elephants frequently passing my countless gifs and little videos of the adorable mini trunkers. (apparently there's an especially adorable documentary on iplayer re this at the moment)

I don't have a favourite really, though, mostly I just enjoy animals who are hilarious on animal documentaries. This frequently seems to involve Penguins.

king-penguins-1-lg.jpg

10 hours ago, knoppy1987 said:

Always been Cheetahs for me. Since I got a 'proper' job around five years ago, I have infrequently been buying artwork of Cheetahs (hopefully the latest one shows below; I bought it last week and it is on its way after mounting and framing). Would love to spend a month or so working at one of the Cheetah conservation centres in Tanzania or Namibia in future. I wish they would make a Cheetah documentary that didn't just revolve around the mother and Lions picking off her Cubs. I could take or leave Lions or Tigers, but Big Cats are fascinating. 

davidshepherd-savutisands.jpg  

Went to Tanzania on safari for our honeymoon ... One of the afternoon safaris we were due to be picked up at 13:30 but for various reasons we were late and got picked up at 14:00.... Left the camp drove around the corner and there were 6 baby cheetah and mum crossing the track in front of us ... Viewing the sightings book that night we appeared to be the only people that saw them or any cheetahs  .... Small margins and all that 

this is was pre digital camera and mainstream email but the guide said that if we got our pictures developed and sent them to the conservation centre and they weren't known then we would be allowed to name them ... Alas someone had beaten us to them ...

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rodders said:

this is due to my partner who adores elephants

I went to Sri Lanka the other year and witnessed the gathering of then elephants , perfect place to take your partner  if you want double bonus points ... Pus there is a centre nearby where you can stroke them feed them etc 

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 1

Cute - pandas

Proper - great white shark

Anyone done a shark cage? I can't convince the missus to do South Africa and I think the real big bastards off Mexico are a 2 day trip, it's probably no1 on my bucket list

I've done the panda centre in chengdu, beautiful creatures

At the opposite end of the evolutionary scale though!

22 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I went to Sri Lanka the other year and witnessed the gathering of then elephants , perfect place to take your partner  if you want double bonus points ... Pus there is a centre nearby where you can strike them feed them etc 

I went to Addo elephant national park in South Africa and didn't see one elephant.

19 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Cute - pandas

Anyone done a shark cage? I can't convince the missus to do South Africa and I think the real big bastards off Mexico are a 2 day trip, it's probably no1 on my bucket list

would love to do the great white thing. would shit myself though.

46 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I went to Sri Lanka the other year and witnessed the gathering of then elephants , perfect place to take your partner  if you want double bonus points ... Pus there is a centre nearby where you can strike them feed them etc 

Bit harsh!

2 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Cute - pandas

Mrs H and I went to Chengdu in 2000 ... We were pretty much the only people there so we went in and fed the red pandas ( they like apples ) and we got to stroke giant pandas and have our picture taken sitting next to one on a bench

i went back to Chengdu on my way home from North Korea in 2012 and the place was rammed with locals and you aren't allowed near the animals  , even the encounter program I did involved feeding the animals by putting some apple on a stick

never saw the Chinese getting big on animal conservation coming in 2000  that's for sure !!

If we're talking wild animals, rather than domestic pets (which would just get bogged down in the same old cats v. dogs argument), I've got to agree with Tony - red pandas all the way. 

Pandas are pretty meh! for me (relatively). Excluding domestic critters, Birds, insects, and Aquatic life I'd pick Wolves as the most incredible creatures, plus close second Leopards and Panthers and Tigers.

2 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Mrs H and I went to Chengdu in 2000 ... We were pretty much the only people there so we went in and fed the red pandas ( they like apples ) and we got to stroke giant pandas and have our picture taken sitting next to one on a bench

i went back to Chengdu on my way home from North Korea in 2012 and the place was rammed with locals and you aren't allowed near the animals  , even the encounter program I did involved feeding the animals by putting some apple on a stick

never saw the Chinese getting big on animal conservation coming in 2000  that's for sure !!

i went in 2011 i think, i got the impression chengdu was about to take off (if you know chinese politics / economy, i think it was made a special economic zone around 2009) they were retrospectively putting in a subway system in a city of 14m people... it was busy when i was there and i think there are 2 panda centres and the one i went to was a bit more of a zoo than the other one

couldnt get near the red pandas but they were beautiful, did pay the £100 for 5 minutes of a panda sat on my lap

168662_10150132454140917_7934692_n.jpg?o179811_10150132455280917_849205_n.jpg?oh

would happily recommend it, i liked chengdu, the bit i was in felt very new but it was a nice city, i was there to see the pandas but the food was awesome (not cantonese, proper sichuan) wish id spent more time there and gone jiuzhaigou 

• Like 1

Â