Favourite Animals

chrisp65

9 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

I picked  the boy up from school one day last year … it’s a wee bit remote and as we came to a junction between two fields a buzzard came swooping down inches from the windscreen and grabbed a rabbit from the side of the road and flew off again 

was a spectacular thing to witness 

Incredible sight it must have been. I’ve seen one taking a frog. Other than that, worming on grey days. This offers great viewing though. 

9 hours ago, useless said:

That's one of the birds I found that it looked most similar to, but the bird I saw wings were a different shape when spread out, also it's feathers on front and back were all light orange, no patches of white. Not sure what it was, not even sure if it was a bird of prey, if it was it was a small one as thing was about the size of black bird, the only thing that made me think bird of prey was the shape of it's beak.

Male kestrels could be deemed as being light orange in parts - worth a look. Perhaps more similar in size to a larger black bird. 

For the last few years, I kept finding bird impressions on my bedroom windows, and occasionally heard a clatter. Some time last summer, I was putting the bins out and heard a thud. Turns out a Sparrow Hawk was diving for pigeons. Startled, it had a rest on my stone wall which was the closest I have ever got to a Bird of Prey aside from at York Bird of Prey Centre. This Sparrow Hawk looked more murderous and deadly in demeanour than a Buzzard. Either that or it was annoyed it hit my window. 

I also have a Tawny Owl living in the small woodland opposite. I have not seen it mind but the call is clearly heard. Plenty of Barn Owls about too. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, knoppy1987 said:

Kee-yee-yah

Eh? 

I took the pic (with my phone) from the bedroom window of a cottage we were staying in in Snowdonia. I spotted the bird perching on top of a telephone pole, and caught it just as it launched off into flight. 

Edited by mjmooney

10 hours ago, knoppy1987 said:

Probably posted Cheetah in this thread somewhere myself. Love cheetah art and have it dotted around the house. 

Similar with birds of prey, but more common. Common Buzzard. A good walk for me is seeing as many of them as I can. Easy to spot soaring but fairly elusive at lower levels. 

Are you me!? 😂

I often point out common buzzards, I love them! 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, mjmooney said:

Eh? 

I took the pic (with my phone) from the bedroom window of a cottage we were staying in in Snowdonia. I spotted the bird perching on top of a telephone, and caught it just as it launched off into flight. 

The Common Buzzard’s call, although some prefer “P” to “K”. Sounds like a mewing cat to me. 

Great shot. Your phone camera is superior to mine 😊. You were in the right place to see them aplenty. 

• Thanks 1

They're bringing Wooly Mammoths back to help the environment, apparently it's an actual thing that's going to happen in the next few years. Looking forward to seeing them as obviously never seen one before.

Edited by useless

10 hours ago, useless said:

They're bringing Wooly Mammoths back to help the environment, apparently it's an actual thing that's going to happen in the next few years. Looking forward to seeing them as obviously never seen one before.

What are they like @mjmooney

• Haha 2

14 hours ago, StewieGriffin said:

What?

Whats not to love? Adorable, homely, but will **** you up if you piss it off. Everything you'd want in an animal

It's a hand-egg thing. He likes Gophers of precious metal

On 02/02/2023 at 22:20, useless said:

in a tree I saw another bird, one that I'd never seen before, was very light orange with grey head and tail, beak looked kind of like a bird of prey's but not sure if was as I've looked at images and can't find a match, also when it spread out it's wings they had a really pronounced circular shape, like it's wingspan looked like a semi-circle.

Young (born last summer) Common Kestrel, I reckon.  Kestrels are magnificent.

Â