Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

1 minute ago, useless said:

Jackson Martinez being mentioned on twitter, maybe Xia has the connections after all.

Is he in China? If so, there will probably be alot of "business politics" and "back scratching" going on. Lol

9 minutes ago, midian said:

It cant be Jackson Martinez can it surely it can't 

Not a chance. 

I really think by 'World Class' he must mean a player who plays international football? Surely? None of our other signings would suggest we're going after superstars. 

Edited by avfcwills10

People probably would have said that about him playing in China not so long back. If you've got the money there is always a chance. Not that I think we're going to sign him (actually don't know much about him).

He's very similar to Darren Bent, scores tap ins and dosen't really contribute outside the box.

Goalscoring record was phenomenal for Porto....didn't really fit in at Atletico Madrid.

He would certainly fit in with the hyped up statement from Dr Tony...must admit I other thought was a veteran who has been world class but is in the latter stages of his career...I did think of Klose aswell if he hasn't retired....Luca Toni still scored 20 in Seria A last season and he's nearly 40.....

5 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

What's the bet it's someone like Didier Drogba for a season.

Possibly. Someone that once could be called world class but isn't being able to perform at the top level anymore. It would have to be a real pro, though. Someone that would want to play to the best of their ability as long as they are able, not merely wanting a final payday.

Someone with their football intelligence, skills and physical ability more or less intact, but just not being able to perform at their previous peak level.

If any such former top player could be persuaded to play at Championship level for a season (and hopefully at Premier League level the season after that...), a decent sign-on fee might ensure that the club won't break the wage structure.

I don't know whether anyone matching the description could be persuaded to join Villa at the Championship level. RDM and his team might know - they are the professionals, after all. I'm fairly confident that Dr Xia will back whatever RDM decides to go for. Drogba? Klose? Probably pie in the sky, but nevertheless possible.

It certainly won't be Ronaldinho, though.

4 minutes ago, Villan4Life said:

What about that Doumbia fella who we wanted in Jan but went to Newcastle on loan?

He is on loan at Basel from Roma and they want rid.

Hopefully we're done with buying players other teams want rid of. 

Jackson Martinez is probably a mixture of the world class, no 9, playing in China, declaring he wants out of China 

if by some crazy reason this did happen I'm not sure if I'd be more excited by the player or the idea that dr Tony has some sort of relationship with the owners of Guangzhou in order to pull it off, that would be Jack Ma and Xu Jiayin, combined net worth of $35bn...

4 minutes ago, jacketspuds said:

Would prefer Hernandez over Martinez as he would be less of a risk but either would be great.

That's insane. Martinez would be one of our best players in history, so much so that there is zero chance of him coming. People are taking Tony's wording far too literally. It'll likely be Bamford/Hernandez/Wells and any of those would be a decent short-term purchase.

A big no to Doumbia.  Been terrible for years.  

Martinez?  Really?  That will never happen. Can't afford his wages. 

Hernandez,  id probably disregard the too if it weren't for the player himself saying he would play for villa.  Still think the is unlikely. 

Xia wouldn't describe Wells or Bamford as world class, I don't think.It will at least be someone who's an international or a regular goalscorer in the top flight. Wouldn't mind either one though.

Edited by useless