Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

4 hours ago, astonaidan said:

You think? Hes proven at this level, frozen out Id say as he cant play with the new striker Negredo. Who would you rather?

He's very much a poacher.  I think we need someone a bit bigger and more mobile to compliment McCormack, who I have been very impressed with.  Dr Tony's statement has left me a little gobsmacked but before reading it, I would probably have gone for Hernandez from Hull.  I really liked the Naki Wells and the Kodja videos but couldn't possibly say whether they would be good signings based purely on the videos alone.  That type of player is what I would like though-Pace, presence and mobility.

I've never been a fan of Rhodes and the Middlesboro episode comes as no surprise to me.  I'm not convinced that Middlesboro shelled out that much in January just to have him help get promotion.  I think the move has backfired for them.  I'm also not convinced that we would want to shell out on a player who can't cut it in the prem-Our policy appears to be that of signing lads who can play in either division. 

Hernandez would be a big coup for us. He's not world class, but it would still be a massive statement of intent. I'd be very surprised if cost as little as ten million as well, given the current 'financial climate' in football.

Edited by useless
  • Like 1

I mean what does world-class mean?  The definition I read says 'of or among the best in the world', but it all depends how big you make the net.  You could say there are only a handful of truly world-class players or you could be talking about the top 100 strikers in the world - it is just one of those ambiguous expressions that carries different meanings and can be interpreted in different ways.   I personally think Tony just means very good - someone who plays in a top league and represents their country - a Mile Jedinak kind of level.  One thing is for sure, no one will care what the term means if the player we buy starts banging in goals for us.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:
I mean what does world-class mean?  The definition I read says 'of or among the best in the world', but it all depends how big you make the net.  You could say there are only a handful of truly world-class players or you could be talking about the top 100 strikers in the world - it is just one of those ambiguous expressions that carries different meanings and can be interpreted in different ways.   I personally think Tony just means very good - someone who plays in a top league and represents their country - a Mile Jedinak kind of level.  One thing is for sure, no one will care what the term means if the player we buy starts banging in goals for us.

Id explain it like this.  Mario Balotelli is world class on his day (which is very rare to say the least).  Hernandez on his best day, which might be quite often is never world class. It doesnt matter who is best for Villa, its just putting into context what dr t said

6 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

If you were to ask Sir Alex Ferguson, he only ever managed 4 world class players (of which Paul McGrath was not one).

Personally, I see a "world class" player as someone who performs regularly and well on the international stage, in competitions, not qualifiers.  There are very occasional exceptions but to me a world class player is someone who performs on the world stage.

15 minutes ago, rubberman said:

Whoever it is, the only thing certain is that the first post after the announcement will say he is not world class.

yep, we'll sign a very good player, hopefully one good enough for the prem let alone the championship, maybe even smash the championship transfer record...and rather than be happy about it there'll be a is he world class debate on here

• Like 1

Don't think people are seriously going to be pissed if (when) the signing isn't actually "world class" as long as it is a quality signing.

Just as people are not seriously expecting us to be a top 3 in the world team even thou Xia said so, as long as we become promoted and a established mid table PL team.

Of course there is always going to be one or two...

Timmy Cahill. :P

I know he is about 38 now, but still knows his way around the box and shoots them in. ( Goals, I mean)

Edited by AJ