Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Not picking on anyone specific, but it is amusing. We've gone from "Anyone but the players we have!" to "Hmm, I know he's the best player in the Championship, but he's 29..." and "Jedinak, is he really that good?"

i could not agree with this post more.

• Like 1

The mass euphoria over the possible signing of Jedinak is being questioned. I don't think anyone is saying that he's not good enough for us.

Edited by useless

17 minutes ago, Ponky said:

Don't get me wrong I love Jedinak and I'd be wrapt to have him at Villa but skill wise he's an average player. His real value is that he's a big competitive bastard who won't take a backwards step in any situation. 

And he's a proper man.

A la Grant Holt - proper man.:thumb:

2 minutes ago, useless said:

The mass euphoria over the possible signing of Jedinak is being questioned. I don't think anyone is saying that he's not good enough for us.

and it's being answered.  dont see a problem myself

3 minutes ago, Deisler123 said:

Thanks! I plan to watch most league games at home and hopefully Sky will make them live.

I am also planning to travel to Birmingham to watch a few home games at VP this season (quite a long way from home though), if Villa will be on the right track fighting back to PL. Probably towards the end of the season. Maybe we will meet at VP!

That would be cool dude, I'm always up for meet ups.

That's not an empty offer.

• Like 1

Just now, Richard said:

One tip to you Deisler123 if you are going to meet Dave make sure he brings his sister

And if you're invited round to his house, check the sofa before sitting on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

So, assuming McCormack signs what do we still need? For me in an ideal world its the following.

New starting CB 

New RB

Creative midfielder

On top of that if we can shift any of the dead weights and replace that would be ideal.

I still think we might look to bring in another striker as well but that's just a hunch. 

Defensively Id like to see 5 out 3 in:
Right Back
Centre Back
Midfield General
(Lose Richards, Lescott, Clark, Sanchez and Veretout)

Offensively, assuming McCormack signs It's still really hugely dependent on how RDM sees everyone. But Gestede, Kozak and Gabby all have massive question marks against them for different reasons and I doubt anyone would shed a tear if they ALL left. Sinclair seems on his way out already.
Traore, Ayew, Grealish, McCormack could work. But where does he see their best positions? If Gestede and Gabby are still here I think we'd still need a Right Winger and Attacking Midfielder to compliment them. Oh and we'll probably need extra strikers at ACN time. Loaning/Buying Bamford would be very low risk imo and therefore a very good idea.

But basically replace Gestede, Kozak, Gabby and Sinclair. Make sure one of the replacements is a right winger (or we're gonna be watching Bacuna) and if Ravel Morrison wants to come here get it done.

Not really that convinced by Jedinak - but he's an experienced midfielder so could help the likes of Tshibola, Gardner et al. Even Westwood to an extent. 

He's not a great player by any stretch, though. 

1 hour ago, Bunnski said:

So you'd be happy with us having 2 centre backs, 1 left back, 1 right back and 3 midfielders in the squad or am I reading that wrong? ...

Yeah-Only 1 goalie as well. It's good isn't it?

I'll leave you to work out whether you've read it wrong or whether you're just being rather silly.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

Yeah-Only 1 goalie as well. It's good isn't it?

I'll leave you to work out whether you've read it wrong or whether you're just being rather silly.

Pretty sure your post was rather silly to begin with so I guess I was just continuing the trend ;)

2 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Not really that convinced by Jedinak - but he's an experienced midfielder so could help the likes of Tshibola, Gardner et al. Even Westwood to an extent. 

He's not a great player by any stretch, though. 

It's not always about getting in the highest possible technical quality. For so long we've been such a soft touch, mentally weak. No spine, just nothingness, particularly in the centre of the park. Jedinak offers experience, steel and an invaluable desire, character and voice in the dressing room. Along with Elphick, they are the exact sort of players we need at the moment. With a tougher, hard working spine it allows players like Grealish to be able to play their natural game. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

Probably painting a target on my back here but if RDM has had a chat with Richards and can get him performing in his natural position then we may not need a new RB! Just my opinion...

Id prefer Hutton at RB to Richards and im no way advocating Hutton there

• Like 2

Not sure about Jedinak to be honest, I think there are much better players out there to buy. He would still walk into our midfield though as it's possibly the worst midfield in the championship at the moment. Having said that we should still be aiming for better players than Jedinak

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Marley the Bognor Villan said:

Probably painting a target on my back here but if RDM has had a chat with Richards and can get him performing in his natural position then we may not need a new RB! Just my opinion...

Lads, quick, get him !!

Nah but seriously, for a variety of reasons, I wouldn't want him there.  I don't think I'd even want him there over Hutton, and no I don't want Hutton there either.  That ignores the assumption that he probably sees himself as being i) above the Championship ii) above playing rightback.  Both of those despite the emphatic evidence to the contrary last season.

• Like 1