Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

38 minutes ago, John said:

:D No. He is too busy sitting on a bench for Liverpool and Belgium to consider playing football with the club he got the move from that he had been seeking for a couple of seasons.   

If Newcastle do sign Gayle then I suspect it would leave us free to make a slightly less cheeky bid for players like McCormack and/or Bamford who might want to play for us next season. 

Can you really blame him for wanting out at the time? The club was coming apart at the seams, and he left without acrimony, no harm no foul.

5 hours ago, meme said:

Gayle is very inconsistent. Struggled in the Premier League and as a result wasted out a fair amount of his development years. Glad he went to Newcastle, though! ;)

Would've loved Gayle.

I find McCormack overpriced.

Hope we get Bamford although maybe we'll try for both with Bamford in on loan and McCormack permanent?

That would make this league sit up and take notice. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would've loved Gayle.

I find McCormack overpriced.

Hope we get Bamford although maybe we'll try for both with Bamford in on loan and McCormack permanent?

That would make this league sit up and take notice. 

The only time I will care about the League taking notice is when/if we are being promoted. I still kind of cringe at the fact that stories say "The Championship team".

I watched McCormaks highlights and I wasn't really impressed to be honest, however consistently scoring that many consistenty is still something.

As said would probably like Bamford or someone of the ilk on a permanent who needs a home, is young, and hungry to prove themselves and grow with us long term!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The only time I will care about the League taking notice is when/if we are being promoted. I still kind of cringe at the fact that stories say "The Championship team".

I watched McCormaks highlights and I wasn't really impressed to be honest, however consistently scoring that many consistenty is still something.

As said would probably like Bamford or someone of the ilk on a permanent who needs a home, is young, and hungry to prove themselves and grow with us long term!

Was going to say has anyone seen McCormack's highlights, I haven't but isn't he just a poacher?

12 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is Dwight Gayle really all that. He has 20 goals since 2013, the much maligned Rudy Gestede has nearly 40 goals in that time

Thought I was the only one, I just don't see much to be impressed with.

Don't you think it's time we stopped thinking about buying premiership players and concentrated instead on players who are more likely to sign for a championship club.?

Now while these players might indeed have played in the premiership, they are likely to have been released or, have had their contracts run out. These players are most likely to be deemed as unspectacular but solid, players like Stoke centre-back, 28-year-old Marc Wilson.

Of course, there are players in Europe who are out of contract for various reasons, players such as, Schalke centre-back Neustader and Juventus' centre back Caceres.

Getting back to what could be termed 'our level', such as Blackburn's 24-year-old centre-back Shane Duffy. Or Bordeaux centre-back Lamine Sane.

24 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Was going to say has anyone seen McCormack's highlights, I haven't but isn't he just a poacher?

Some good goals in there to be fair, can take a free kick as well.

Maybe I wasn't impressed on first watching because the dramatic camera work isn't up to PL standard. lol

Still not sure.

28 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

This video is better than the first. May actually have to eat my words, there are some absolute belters in there!:unsure:

I remember watching McCormack a few years back, at the time I remember thinking his style was quite similar to Wayne Rooney's. I've a feeling that we won't be trying to sign him, though.

26 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Thought I was the only one, I just don't see much to be impressed with.

I'm in that camp. Couple of long shots and that's about it. Not a fan. Rather give rhm a run

• Like 1

Not saying we'll be in for them, but I wonder if either Will Hughes or Zach Clough will end up moving this window?

Looking at the Championship teams this season, there's some big clubs and grounds in there., Us, Newcastle, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Norwich.... it doesn't feel as dingy as it one was. In fact there's only 4 grounds that hold under 20,000, and the majority hold over 30k now. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the bigger clubs make some pretty decent signings this summer.

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Not saying we'll be in for them, but I wonder if either Will Hughes or Zach Clough will end up moving this window?

Looking at the Championship teams this season, there's some big clubs and grounds in there., Us, Newcastle, Leeds, Forest, Derby, Norwich.... it doesn't feel as dingy as it one was. In fact there's only 4 grounds that hold under 20,000, and the majority hold over 30k now. Wouldn't be surprised to see some of the bigger clubs make some pretty decent signings this summer.

Can't imagine Zach Clough staying at Bolton, but think Hughes may well stay for another season at Derby.

I've said it a couple of times, but I think Clough would be a decent signing.

3 hours ago, StanBalaban said:

Clough is a real talent in my view, I'm surprised clubs haven't gone for him already.

• Like 4

McCormack for mucho dollars is the same decision as Sunderland made when buying (a much older) Defoe for mucho dollars. I was well snidey about their decision at the time, but now I can see why the premium is worth it. No brainer for me, but then it's not my moolah.

• Like 2