Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

What we do know is that RDM has said he wants leaders and experience in the championship.

Mcormack makes sense.. so does Ricki Lambert. We need pros around the dressing room. Even if they dont contribute too much. Lambert will be a back up to Gestede Mcormack and Ayew. If Gabby stays i cant see us going for Lambert.. unless Ayew goes. 

Early days but so far our transfer activity has been very underwhelming. Around 5½ weeks until the championship starts and at the moment (with the exception of Elphick) we have the same squad that won 3 out of 38 games and accumulated a measly 17 points.  Not panicking yet as I am sure there is work being done behind the scenes but we really need to start getting some business concluded soon. I am starting to worry RDM thinks he can reform players (names) like Gabby, Guzan, Bacuna, Lescott and Richards and we know how that will end.  I want to see us be more assertive and aggressive in the market - it was only a few weeks ago we were told we were going to be one of the top clubs in Europe again; that's great, but lets see some action to back that up. 

Edited by Gary Thomas

4 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

Early days but so far our transfer activity has been very underwhelming. Around 5½ weeks until the championship starts and at the moment (with the exception of Elphick) we have the same squad that won 3 out of 38 games and accumulated a measly 17 points.  Not panicking yet as I am sure there is work being done behind the scenes but we really need to start getting some business concluded soon. I am starting to worry RDM thinks he can reform players (names) like Gabby, Guzan, Bacuna, Lescott and Richards and we know how that will end.  I want to see us be more assertive and aggressive in the market - it was only a few weeks ago we were told we were going to be one of the top clubs in Europe again; that's great, but lets see some action to back that up. 

Its at least an improvement on the last transfer window.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

To be fair not many teams have done much business

Just now, Demitri_C said:

To be fair not many teams have done much business

Fair enough but not many teams have squad issues like ours either - lets not forget this group pf players were complete dog shit last season. Others seems chilled out about this, but I worry that the championship kicks off in 5½ weeks.  If we are going to buy new players and get them playing in any sort of system we need to get cracking.

New manager and a new owner, training starts today, if we are going to do an overhaul its important not to rush it and cause panic and discontent between those players staying, it's not as simple as selling 8 players and bringing 12 new ones in and hoping everything will be sunshine and lollipops 

• Like 4

8 hours ago, KSV said:

Lambert will be a back up to Gestede Mcormack and Ayew. If Gabby stays i cant see us going for Lambert.. unless Ayew goes. 

I would rather we didn't sign anyone that was considered a back up to Rudy Gastede. 

1 minute ago, NeilS said:

if in the worse case scenario RDM does decide to give those players another chance to redeem themselves or gets stuck with them as we can't move them on, then I am afraid for the good of the club we will have to bite our tongues and see what happens. New season needs to start afresh with a bit of positivity, we cannot carry on last seasons feelings into the stadium as we will make it an impossible mission for immediate promotion.

100%. But am still hoping it doesn't come to that and we manage to move 'some' of the deadwood on.

• Like 1

RDM said he wanted to take a look at the squad in pre-season before making decisions on transfers, I am sure he knows exactly who he wants in and who he wants out and has the deals ready to green-light - but he needs to give the likes of Gabby and Lescott that last chance to show him they care (although really he has decided their fate already).

51 minutes ago, Gary Thomas said:

not many teams have squad issues like ours either - lets not forget this group pf players were complete dog shit last season. Others seems chilled out about this, but I worry that the championship kicks off in 5½ weeks.  If we are going to buy new players and get them playing in any sort of system we need to get cracking.

This is why I am of the opinion it is a big ask to expect us to be promoted next season. There is so much to do before the start of the season and little time to do it. RDM has said the squad is too big. He has also said he wants time to assess it. I think before we see a number of players come in I would expect a number of players to go out and I don’t see that happening for at least another 2 – 3 weeks. We are then getting into the season being within a couple of weeks and the issue and getting the squad of players to gel and a playing style ingrained in them.

I think we may well have to be patient and it could be a case that we have a slow start and have to hope we can be mid table and in a position to kick on in the new year. The issue with us as a fan base being patient though becomes a problem if the likes of Bacuna, Gabby, Lescott, Richards, Guzan are still getting game time at the start of the season and we do start slowly.

If RDM manages to turn this shambles around and gets us to finish in the top 6 this season he will have done one hell of a job.