Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

16 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Paddy Riley was at St Andrews last night for Blues vs Bolton.

Rumours he was there to watch Zack Clough.

Will be good if it was Clough he went to watch as he is a talent

Clough would be the sort of player we should be looking at but he was most likely there because he had heard they were doing a free pint and pie deal! 

17 hours ago, Villan4Life said:

Paddy Riley was at St Andrews last night for Blues vs Bolton.

Rumours he was there to watch Zack Clough.

Will be good if it was Clough he went to watch as he is a talent

He was there to watch Emile Ivanhoe Heskey :detect:

• Like 2

Regardless of the league we're in, we need a Goalkeeper, a centreback, a central midfielder and a striker.

We need an entire spine. I still think we have a decent skeleton of a team, but the biggest thing we're missing are those key players in each area to mould everything together.

The league we're in will merely determine the quality of player we can get. The areas that need addressing won't change, imo.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Regardless of the league we're in, we need a Goalkeeper, a centreback, a central midfielder and a striker.

We need an entire spine. I still think we have a decent skeleton of a team, but the biggest thing we're missing are those key players in each area to mould everything together.

The league we're in will merely determine the quality of player we can get. The areas that need addressing won't change, imo.

I'd say a goalkeeper, two centrebacks, 1 central midfielder and 2 strikers

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Steve do you honestly think that any of the "decent" (I'm struggling to think of any personally) will want to play for less money in a lower league?

And that any of this current squad (bar maybe Hutton who is just a bloody useless footballer) will have the fight in them to stand up for the club?

I know it won't happen but I'd look to sell the lot and start over. I just don't believe in any of these players.

If we end up with the majority of the same player's then imho we will go down again.

33 minutes ago, SeanO said:

Steve do you honestly think that any of the "decent" (I'm struggling to think of any personally) will want to play for less money in a lower league?

And that any of this current squad (bar maybe Hutton who is just a bloody useless footballer) will have the fight in them to stand up for the club?

I know it won't happen but I'd look to sell the lot and start over. I just don't believe in any of these players.

If we end up with the majority of the same player's then imho we will go down again.

Will they want to? Maybe not. Will they have a choice? probably not. We'll lose some, we won't lose as many as people think.

I don't really know what your second question means.

Selling the entire team and starting from scratch would give us the same teething problems we had this season. it's a completely insane way to approach it.

We should be trying to hold onto the handful of half decent players we have, getting rid of some deadwood, and adding a solid spine.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, KHV said:

I'd say a goalkeeper, two centrebacks, 1 central midfielder and 2 strikers

Yes I wouldn't disagree. My post wasn't meant to be an exhaustive list, just the bare minimum

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

2nd question was about the player's having the bottle to perform in a lower league and fight for us when they haven't in the Premier League.

No worries though, I just can't think of any decent player's at VP, maybe Amavi??

7 minutes ago, SeanO said:

2nd question was about the player's having the bottle to perform in a lower league and fight for us when they haven't in the Premier League.

No worries though, I just can't think of any decent player's at VP, maybe Amavi??

Ayew, Veretout, Gana, Adama, Gil, Richards (at RB), Okore, Amavi, Gil even Gestede at Championship level.

All half decent players, most of whom I expect to be at VP next season.

If we add a solid spine (GK, CB, CM and CF) to those players we'll have a good Championship team. Maybe they do lack bottle, but that's all the more reason we need to add 4 or 5 good solid players into the mix to make up for that.

I can argue both sides for and against us coming back up.  A soft Premier League side who go down lacking bottle it could be said would struggle in the Championship, and its fans could be forgiven for worrying that they lack not just the bottle but the quality too having just experienced this abortion of a season.  And then you remember that the much-maligned Rudy Gestede was an absolute machine in the Championship.  That's the standard.  Yes it's competitive, but it's no great shakes.  This Premier League squad is way better than what's down there.  We'll lose some, but as Stevo says, we'll keep most.  I think other factors will determine how we do.  But if Remi stays and we keep the vast majority of what we've got, plus add the inevitable few in the summer then there's no reason why we don't come back up at a canter.  Do i expect that to happen?  That's another thing altogether :)

1 minute ago, BOF said:

But if Remi stays and we keep the vast majority of what we've got, plus add the inevitable few in the summer then there's no reason why we don't come back up at a canter.  Do i expect that to happen?  That's another thing altogether :)

Sums up how I feel.

I really think that we SHOULD come up fairly comfortably. 

But my fear is that we are such a shambles behind the scenes that we'll **** it up. Remi won't be backed to bring in the right kind of player, or he'll end up leaving and we'll be back to square one, or we'll sell absolutely everybody we can meaning we have to start the squad from scratch.

If we were suddenly well run, I'd be confident. **** it, I'd actually be looking forward to it. But as it is I'm nervous.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, useless said:

All this talk of this and that player not being that good, but being good championship players, is for me a short sighted narrative. We don't want a team of those types otherwise if we get promoted (and indeed if we get relegated to begin with) we'll stuck a bunch of players who aren't good enough. 

this

i have every hope that the club is scouring the world for talents who next season will be good enough for the championship but are still young enough to develop further than that if/when we get promoted back to the prem

case in point would be that james maddison, coventry youngster signed by norwich, should they go down id expect him to make his breakthrough next season, be a 1st team regular towards the end of the season and then either have the benefit of one more season in the championship as a 21 year old starting every week or the chance to step up to the prem

robson-kanu might be a decent enough player to start in the championship, but he'll be 27 in the summer, 4/5 year deal, with us hopefully having the intention of getting promoted, by the 3rd year of that deal can you guess that he'll be decent enough to still be starting for us? if everything goes to plan we'd have a use for him for 1 year of a 4/5 year deal. in other words he'd be the same as we've been doing for the last 5 years

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacketspuds said:

Are we going to change our transfer strategy again? I hope so. 

i really hope so too, because after over 10 years of buying players for far too much that aren't worth it and have no sell on value, and not giving youth a chance or investing in true talent, then allowing youth players go for near enough nothing, then of course paying players far too much money which the club can't sustain, it clearly hasn't worked. :-)

10 hours ago, BOF said:

I can argue both sides for and against us coming back up.  A soft Premier League side who go down lacking bottle it could be said would struggle in the Championship, and its fans could be forgiven for worrying that they lack not just the bottle but the quality too having just experienced this abortion of a season.  And then you remember that the much-maligned Rudy Gestede was an absolute machine in the Championship.  That's the standard.  Yes it's competitive, but it's no great shakes.  This Premier League squad is way better than what's down there.  We'll lose some, but as Stevo says, we'll keep most.  I think other factors will determine how we do.  But if Remi stays and we keep the vast majority of what we've got, plus add the inevitable few in the summer then there's no reason why we don't come back up at a canter.  Do i expect that to happen?  That's another thing altogether :)

while a fair point on Gestede but we have seen him able to dominate Premier League teams in the air yet we never signed a winger or even tried whipping balls into him. I dont see anything improving over the summer from our transfer committee

though said it before we should go for Whittingham if we are goign to keep Rudy

I sincerely hope so too. Sure the Championship is competitive and a tough league, but it is lesser in terms of quality. I think we're just used to seeing our shitty side trying to duke it out versus actual solid teams in the PL and it's hard to judge how we would fare in the Championship. The thing that scares me is the managing of the club atm and I wouldn't blink twice if it leads to further decline. Here's to hoping we'll all be a little positively surprised next season (yes, I'm assuming we go down considering how likely it seems).

• Like 1