Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

14 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

My dad went to school with Pete Colley and he saw him at a friends 50th tonight. Says Pete told him to expect "big news" regarding a striker tomorrow, or possibly Monday. 

No ITK or anything. Just passing on what has been said to me. 

Well I hope that happens and it isn't a sidelined Leicester "star".

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, kurtsimonw said:

My dad went to school with Pete Colley and he saw him at a friends 50th tonight. Says Pete told him to expect "big news" regarding a striker tomorrow, or possibly Monday. 

Striker yesterday, striker tomorrow ...

18 hours ago, meme said:

The difference between Ravel and the rest of our so called 'poor personality' players is that Ravel is actually good.

Gazza churned out many good years despite probably being much worse than Ravel in terms of personality.

Gazza the most overrated player in English history? his prime he ended up at Rangers and never recovered after that

• Like 1

7 hours ago, kurtsimonw said:

My dad went to school with Pete Colley and he saw him at a friends 50th tonight. Says Pete told himto expect "big news" regarding a striker tomorrow, or possibly Monday. 

If Pete Colley knew something would he not want to break the story himself? Seems strange that a journalist knows big news is coming but won't put it out there himself. 

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

If Pete Colley knew something would he not want to break the story himself? Seems strange that a journalist knows big news is coming but won't put it out there himself. 

Is there anything that suggests Pete Colley won't be breaking the news himself?

• Like 1

Need a striker to finish but yesterday was a terrifying reminder of just how desperately we need new players who can 'create' opportunities and break down defenses.  One of main weakness last year was our inability to create a goal threat and we have done absolutely nothing to change that yet - in fact we could arguably be a bit weaker in that department with Gill going and maybe Sinclair following him out the door. A striker is the priority, but we also need to buy some attacking midfielders who can create and score goals - and possibly an attacking right back.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 1

We certainly need some width in that team, we need two wingers with good delivery, that can take non floating corners and score 5 goals each 

and we need a 20 goal striker.

It makes sense to why RDM wants to offload eight players, because our squad is too big to follow his ideas and philosophy. The main problem is that we don't have a set way of playing. We don't have a style of football, whether that is Long ball, direct play, or play from the width, we lack an identity.  I think this is because we have so many players in that squad that are used to playing one way, which is s***. Once RDM is able to offload those players and bring his own in we may see more more balance in our play.

Edited by Reivax_Villa

Have to say I am surprised and disappointed (I should be used to it by now) that despite all the fighting talk, the two areas we needed strengthening (after a new GK and defence) was creativity, penetration and speed in the midfield, and a bang-on top order striker. Yet two weeks before the season starts and nearly at the end of preseason, nothing. 26 goals again next season will look even worse in the Championship.

Cant help but think that by October we will all be fretting again. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Have to say I am surprised and disappointed (I should be used to it by now) that despite all the fighting talk, the two areas we needed strengthening (after a new GK and defence) was creativity, penetration and speed in the midfield, and a bang-on top order striker. Yet two weeks before the season starts and nearly at the end of preseason, nothing. 26 goals again next season will look even worse in the Championship.

Cant help but think that by October we will all be fretting again. 

It's not panic stations yet but if in two weeks time we're in the same situation I'll agree with you.

• Like 1

Speaking hypothetically, based on an assumption that Amavi, Aywe, Gana and Adama all stay, we would have creativity from Amavi and Grealish from the left, Adama from the right and Aywe from the number 10 type slot. A new striker is almost accepted by most as going to happen sooner, rather than later. This little lot will then have the protection of Gana and Tishbola behind them. That is not bad at all, with the majority of those players all capable of playing at PL level.

If as is likely, one or two of the foreign players leave, then replacements are required. There is a lot of talk about Morrison. I am a great believer of giving people the benefit of the doubt and/or drawing a line under what has happened in the past. We are no longer a PL club and the harsh reality is we are shopping in a different area now. There is a risk element with Morrison However it is a two way thing. Morrison knows that it is a risk for him as if he were to fail here, his career will go backwards. On his day, Morrison is quality. If he gets his head down, he could be a revelation-He could also hip in with goals which would be a culture shock for many Villa fans from a midfielder.

Adama seems a bit of a worry, both in terms of fitness and whether he is committed to the long term. I would personally be happy with Morrison replacing him rather than someone who can't get a game for their prospective PL side or someone who is currently playing in the championship or abroad. When you talk about gambles, Morrison is no worse than signing any other creative player within the budget and market we are shopping in.

I feel a new striker will definitely be in before the start of the season and also a creative midfielder. A right back would also be a bonus. I also feel at least another 2 players will sign between the Wednesday game and the end of August. Would anybody be unhappy with 7 or 8 signings this window? I know it's taking time but we're not the only club. Most haven't concluded business yet. This is how windows pan out-It has always been the same. I'm surprised that anybody thinks any different.

• Like 1

Gollini, Elphick, Amavi, Gana, Grealish, Ayew are the players I'd like to be our "spine" this season from those currently at the club. Add to that Tish and Adama who are both unproven and coming back from seasons plagued by injuries, but both hopefully have big potential. This leaves us with 3 more spots to fill.  RB, CB and a midfielder or striker.

We have options at central midfield and attack, but none of those are imo good enough to have a regular starting spot.

Hutton at RB is just not an option for me, neither is Bacuna. A RB is a must for me.

At CB we have Clark(e) Baker and Okore, neither of them fills me with confidence. Lescott and Richards simply must go. So ideally a new CB, but I think we'll go with what we have.

As I've not seen any of the pre-season games I don't know yet in which direction Di Matteo will go in regards to formation. Either way we need a new striker, winger or creative midfielder for any formation to work.

We are not that far away from having an very OK starting line-up, but we really need to fill those last spots with quality signings if we are to become a serious threat to the other teams fighting for promotion..

Edited by sne

Whilst I agree with you that on paper we have some good individual players and some talented youngsters to come. 

The biggest problem Imo is we have not played as a team for at least 2 years and our tactics appear to go missing in every match.

Whilst I'm sure RDM is trying to address both issues it appears (from yesterday's pre season) that these problems are still there.

Mainly because it's the same players in the most part.

We need to be thinking long term. It's no good just signing players to try and get us up but be left with a squad that will struggle to survive if we get back in the prem. I'd much rather take time and ensure we get the right players in. There's really no need to panic just yet. As long as the squad is better by the end of August we'll be ok.