Transfer Speculation Summer 2016

Guest av1

2 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Defensively, we have options (only RB causes me a little concern, although I think Hutton can 'do a job' there in the Championship) and can afford to offload a couple of players (Richards and Lescott for a start)

We definitely lack any attacking prowess and will certainly need a striker (or 2) and at least 2 creative midfielders (Morrison - heavily linked and another). We already have numbers in those positions but they're not good enough (Sinclair, Gabby, Veretout and even Traore) and should be shipped out.

So if there's a maximum of 4 incoming, I expect they'll be to play in the final third of the pitch.

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm delighted he's satisfied but with all due respect he isn't the manager 

With all due respect he'll be talking to the manager regularly. He's not going to tweet this if RDM is talking about how much he's planning to spend on two new CB's.

Read this as "RDM and I are satisfied with the defensive form for now."

7 minutes ago, Godders said:

With all due respect he'll be talking to the manager regularly. He's not going to tweet this if RDM is talking about how much he's planning to spend on two new CB's.

Read this as "RDM and I are satisfied with the defensive form for now."

I'm not so sure to be honest. I just think he is so new to this that the lines between owner and manager may as yet still be a little unclear to him

Whilst recognising the need to balance the incomings and outgoings, just feel we need the type of signing that will galvanise the team and really signify we mean business. Newcastle have arguably made two with the likes Gayle and Ritchie. 

• Like 1

I don't think so @Richard. Given his business and educational background, I'm going to assume he's an incredibly intelligent person who would have done a significant amount of homework before he bought the club. I really don't think he's an idiot chancer without the foggiest idea of how to run a football club making decisions on a whim.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

I'm not so sure to be honest. I just think he is so new to this that the lines between owner and manager may as yet still be a little unclear to him

Based on what exactly? In fact he only tweeted the other day about how we all have to put our faith in the coaching team as they know what they're doing and he's said numerous times it's about getting the right people in, letting them do their job and working together.

Not that you care, but I find it hard to respect an opinion not only with little basis but with plenty of evidence to the contrary. The pessimist tag you find yourself lumbered with isn't without good reason, I'm afraid.

• Like 2

Evaluating the squad;

Goalkeepers - probably an improved area. Guzan needs to be sold now he's been replaced. Gollini has looked solid in preseason.

Right Backs - first choice is Hutton? Richards as back up? Weak in this area.

Centre Backs - between Okore, Elphick, Clark and Baker. Lescott needs selling. Is this strong enough? Personally I'm not sure, Elphick has looked ropey in preseason however good his attitude and leadership skills are, not awful but certainly not great. Baker made of glass still?

Left Backs - Amavi first choice when fit, Bennett as back up? Sell Cissokho? Probably our strongest area.

Defensive midfielders - between Gana, Tshibola, Westwood and Gardner. Should be good enough for division. Sell Sanchez.

Attacking midfielders - Grealish, Traore untested really. Veretout needs selling. Gil gone. Needs urgent investment.

Strikers - Ayew, and I'm not he'd class as an out and out forward. Gestede as desperate back up? Another area that needs urgent reinforcements.

Misc - Bacuna, Sinclair, Gabby, Kozak - big question marks.

Youth - Green, Hepburn-Murphy, Lyden - Will hopefully get some game time. 

SO... GK sorted, RB needed, CBs ok, LB sorted, DMs sorted, AM Urgent, ST Urgent. MINIMUM of three players needed to make us competitive in my opinion. Can 'afford' to sell at least seven players though to achieve squad trimming that RDM wants - Guzan, Lescott, Cissokho, Sanchez, Veretout, Sinclair and one of Gabby/ Kozak.

So much work to do. Less than two weeks to do it.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Those four signings need to be (relatively) big players who will go straight into the first team and make an immediate impact.

I think that the majority, if not all will be.

Generally, the harder, more difficult deals tend to take place in the run in to the closing of the window and invariably these involve the more sought after players. We've done very well to get the 3 in that we have and I envisage all three to be starting in two weeks time. Other targets will have other options, some will take these other options, others won't. Once a few big sales go through, the merry go round will begin.

I remember the last time we went to Wednesday on the opening day of the season, with 6 new signings starting for us. I reckon it could well be the same this time and if not, there will be 5 new faces in the starting line up.

2 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks for posting stanbalaban, have you or anyone else seen him play? I haven't, so I can't make a comment on the player, I have just heard good reports on him 

I haven't @sir_gary_cahill just seen the video of his goals that was in this thread earlier.

Have you seen that? There were some very cool finishes in there.

5 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Thanks for posting stanbalaban, have you or anyone else seen him play? I haven't, so I can't make a comment on the player, I have just heard good reports on him 

The people who matter will have seen him play and as I trust our management, that is good enough for me (plus I liked the two YT videos)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I haven't seen him play but have been told he can be abit hit and miss, great at times but can dissapear for a few games. thats as much as i know about him

• Like 1

FWIW, I always get the impression when a player posts something like "contemplating my future" on social media it means that he's already decided his future but is letting fans of his current club know that it was a tough choice to make.

• Like 1