The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

Why couldn't you just post that first time? Why do you need to go out of your way to try and mock others? Also I never said anyone was unreasonable, not sure why you've decided to add that.

I'm not just talking about today. There were the posts you mentioned but there's been a bit of a theme at times to anyone who would like a more attacking approach or more attacking changes in certain games. I can't speak for others but I don't expect a ridiculous gung ho approach. I think we're desperate for points and think there's been attacking options we could have tried. 

I wasn't going out of my way, it took me about two seconds. The reason for my post was that you were talking about people who were misunderstanding/ over-exaggerating other people's posts, but in my opinion, your post was doing the same. To me, it seemed like more of the typical over-exaggeration that is often seen on the Internet, hence the upper case, lower case mockery.

I'm sure that not all the people who have disagreed with us setting up to attack more, are under the impression that other posters want us to go gung-ho all-out attack. Also, I didn't say you said the word 'unreasonable', but that seemed to be the point you were getting at.

I can see both sides of the coin in this argument. Obviously I want us to attack more because we need to win games, but I also trust that the manager sees these players much more than any of us, and that if he thinks bringing Traore on for 30 minutes would be less effective than a different player staying on the pitch for longer, I will trust him, until he proves to be a total buffoon.

Also, though I want us to win more, it's not as if we DON'T attack. We scored yesterday, we scored last week and we have created a fair few chances since Garde's been here. We just don't have a good enough conversion rate. We've also gotten a point against Man City, Southampton and West Ham in recent weeks, which is more than I'd have hoped for in those games, considering recent form.

The issue right now, is that if Garde does try to attack more and we lose, he will be criticised. As it stands, he's not 'playing it safe' completely, but he seems to be going with the odds. We've shown this year that we're crap, that some of our players aren't good enough and that we're low on confidence. If a team of that make-up tries to attack too much, or leaves themselves open, then chances are we WILL concede. The way we're playing, Remi is trying to give us a lifeline, in my opinion.

Also, I've seen many calls for 4-4-2, or calls for two central midfielders, but do we really have the players for that? Any two of our central midfielders would likely get left for dust when playing against many of the other midfield partnerships/trios right now. Again, if that resulted in us losing, the MOTD pundits and then the rest of the Internet, would be questioning 'WHY!!111' did Remi think a midfield two would work.

• Like 1

He got it right yesterday and if not for some great keeping by Adrian and poor finishing by us, we would have romped home yesterday.

There's definite improvements under Remi, sadly it's a little to slow coming and some would argue too little too late.

A win is essential in the next game or two - I actually think it would do wonders for the teams confidence.

• Like 3

Exactly my thoughts tba. If we don't pick up one win against Norwich or Sunderland then we're down already, with too big a mountain to climb. Two wins and we'll not only look closer to the pack, but give ourselves a huge confidence boost which could kickstart a little run.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Exactly my thoughts tba. If we don't pick up one win against Norwich or Sunderland then we're down already, with too big a mountain to climb. Two wins and we'll not only look closer to the pack, but give ourselves a huge confidence boost which could kickstart a little run.

Was saying to the mates I go to the villa with each week, despite lacking a win..we have some element of slow improvement each week.  I said maybe if that continues we may just muster a great escape.  They laughed at me and said I'd drank too much wine.

But I agree, no points from them and wed be down.

My main worry is that we played like that and didn't get any points, which would typify our journey to the championship.

Beginning with December, we really needed to win 2 a month until May. Given that we only have 2 games in May and one is Arsenal away, ideally we could have done with 3 wins this month. There is still time to get back on course and when people talk about "winnable" games, there are plenty lying ahead of us.

Given that we have not won 3 on the trot since MON was here, it is more likely to be a gradual process. The signs are encouraging. People are comparing us to the Derby team of a few years ago but we are plating with composure and are creating chances-Unfortunate not to win in our last 2 games. Confidence is also growing and that first win could really make a difference.

Under Garde, we've drawn 4, lost 3. Not as many points from those games as we really needed but there is certainly something there to work on. We are limping through to the transfer window. A couple of improvements to the starting 11 could make all the difference

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Garde looks like the consultant or doctor who is gravely telling the patient the bad news. That it is going to get worse before it gets better. But in the long run we might get better.

Perfect summarisation of him lol. 

I'd love to see us at least try Richards at right back if Okore and Lescott continue their decent partnership. Could even try Hutton at left back (think Luke Young under MON). Much more solid I'd think than the current set up.

The Richards one is a real dilemma. You should never tinker with something that is working, especially a central defensive pairing.

Personally, I'd put Richards straight into Sanchez's role as I think he'd be an improvement-Call it 3 at the back if you like but I'd have him in front of Lescott & Okore

Also, I've seen many calls for 4-4-2, or calls for two central midfielders, but do we really have the players for that? Any two of our central midfielders would likely get left for dust when playing against many of the other midfield partnerships/trios right now. Again, if that resulted in us losing, the MOTD pundits and then the rest of the Internet, would be questioning 'WHY!!111' did Remi think a midfield two would work.

With one win all season and 4 points since Garde came in, I think it's fair to question if we have the players for the systems we've been playing. Because it certainly hasn't gotten us the results we need. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

With one win all season and 4 points since Garde came in, I think it's fair to question if we have the players for the systems we've been playing. Because it certainly hasn't gotten us the results we need. 

This is exactly the problem. Forgetting Garde for a moment, I still scratch my head as to what the intention was over the summer when you put our squad together.

Had a distinct "lets wing it feel" and we are now paying the price.

2 minutes ago, New_Jersey_Villa said:

This is exactly the problem. Forgetting Garde for a moment, I still scratch my head as to what the intention was over the summer when you put our squad together.

Had a distinct "lets wing it feel" and we are now paying the price.

What choice did we have though?

Vlaar, Cleverley, Delph, Benteke all deserted us.

We had to start from scratch as we had just lost pour 4 best players. Those 4 probably carried the others to a fair extent. & we certainly didn't have a squad in place to compete in the league. In hindsight, it was an impossible ask to pool half the old side with half a side of newcomers and expect to hit the ground running-Especially as most of the newcomers hadn't played in the PL before.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Butterfingers said:

What choice did we have though?

Vlaar, Cleverley, Delph, Benteke all deserted us.

We had to start from scratch as we had just lost pour 4 best players. Those 4 probably carried the others to a fair extent. & we certainly didn't have a squad in place to compete in the league. In hindsight, it was an impossible ask to pool half the old side with half a side of newcomers and expect to hit the ground running-Especially as most of the newcomers hadn't played in the PL before.

The choice was to buy players to fit a system. We didn't, we bought players that had good market value and high potential, but they weren't bought to fit a particular system, probably because Sherwood couldn't think of one (or, being more charitable, wasn't experienced enough to have settled on a particular system). 

• Like 2

Garde's still the man for me. The team seem to be settling, there is discipline in the squad now, (players were getting sent off left right an center previous). I still believe he is doing the best he can with the squad he has. I'm happy he has seen through the likes of Gabby an Grealish, an his attitude and personality are far far better than the gangster wannabe Sherwood.

Â