The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

For me there is some progress albeit not to the level that all of us would have wanted to have  seen by now, however given the mess that we were in when Garde arrived I honestly believe the guy deserves to be given longer before he can truly be judged. I would love to  be in the fortunate position to be able to ask the players what changes they have witnessed in training and routine and so forth and if they feel lmprovemts have been/are being made. 

I for one are backing him fully at the moment however I'm not sure he could withstand the backlash of relegation and fully expect to see another new face in charge come next August! 

3 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Yeah, we really need a cock sure bullish risk taker, all or nothing, happy to gamble on our strengths when we have nothing left to lose......maybe some one like Tim Sherwood?

Wow, this thread is going to cause a civil war! We will see the same hypothetical, arm chair Football Manager views and circular arguments until we either drop or by some miracle survive. Anti-Garde will then have "told us so" or Remi will be the greatest Villa Manager ever having re-written history by performing the previously impossible task.

What I would say to the anti-Garde camp, if he was the wrong choice, who should we have appointed (include any Manager in the World), and what would they have done with our squad to deliver this immediate reversal of fortune that would guarantee the wins you expected in the fixtures so far?

Edited by thunderball

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

Yeah, we really need a cock sure bullish risk taker, all or nothing, happy to gamble on our strengths when we have nothing left to lose......maybe some one like Tim Sherwood?

Wow, this thread is going to cause a civil war! We will see the same hypothetical, arm chair Football Manager views and circular arguments until we either drop or by some miracle survive. Anti-Garde will then have "told us so" or Remi will be the greatest Villa Manager ever having re-written history by performing the previously impossible task.

What I would say to the anti-Garde camp, if he was the wrong choice, who should we have appointed (include any Manager in the World), and what would they have done with our squad to deliver this immediate reversal of fortune that would guarantee the wins you expected in the fixtures so far?

More to the point, would any manager have gone 4-2-4 as these cranks appear to be suggesting is the way forward?

It's mild entertainment to read the "football manager" posts. It deflects the dire situation that we're in, away for 5 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

we had 3 centre midfielders on for 80 minutes and should have took off Gil off as he looked awful. Gil for Traore and Veretout for Grealish would have gave us a 4-4-2 with width especially against a team who lacked ambition

no guts no glory

No guts I agree. But taking Gil off?

Garde was never going to be parachuted in and get a new manager bounce, Sherwood never got that bounce, neither did lambert, McLeish did ok for half a dozen games, houllier likewise.

the new manager bounce Is a myth, allardyce at Sunderland isnt doing much better and he was viewed as guaranteed safety.

I honestly believe we are going down, but also believe we have a manager who will bring us straight back up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, YLN said:

They're not stats. They're numbers of goals with no context. We conceded four goals to Everton. There were only 3 points up for grabs in that game. If we'd lost 6-0 to Chelsea and Man City and then beaten five teams 1-0, you could represent Garde's time with the club with the same information, despite the fact we'd have 15 points from 21.

A nonsense comparison

Additionally they are just two stats ! And from that you say " there has been no improvement".

You can't seriously think that goals conceded and goals scored define the level of performance of a Team ?

I would say add about another 20 well used stats, then add in all the indefinables like character, style, method, organisation, individual performance levels, opposition, luck. 

Then stir all that and by all means decide that, in your view, things are no better.

But to quote two figures then declare no improvement.......wow.

16 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

A lot, lot better. We're finally seeing cohesion and some form of consistent plan A. He's winning me over, slowly.

That first win can't come fast enough.

for me the Plan A is no different than what we have done all season and that is get ball in centre and hope for full backs to bomb forward as width. I wouldnt be surprised if Hutton has put in most crosses in Premier League 

Also this plan is easy to defend as teams are actually giving Hutton freedom of right flank

Citeh play 4-2-4 quite a bit, but real life 4-2-4 is a bit less crazy than Fifa 4-2-4. Incidentally I think it is a formation that would suit us.

Guzan

Hutton Richards Okore Amavi

Gana   Veretout

Gil                                Grealish

Gestede   Ayew

11 minutes ago, Zatman said:

for me the Plan A is no different than what we have done all season and that is get ball in centre and hope for full backs to bomb forward as width. I wouldnt be surprised if Hutton has put in most crosses in Premier League 

Also this plan is easy to defend as teams are actually giving Hutton freedom of right flank

In fairness we are far more organised, but yeah in terms of the style of football not much has changed except it is more low-risk. That is not what we need in the situation that we are in I'm sorry.

I really am not one to criticise managers but the lack of ambition is startling. We dominated them and deserved to win but were not, yet during the last ten minutes there was no urgency whatsoever.

If people are happy to accept we are down then fine, but whilst I can see why we are taking draws, they are not enough given the calibre of opposition if we have any desire to stay in this league. I still thought we could stay up up until 4:45pm today. Doubt it now.

We may sink without trace under Garde.

But for those who want hope.

When Curbishley took over West Ham they were 17th.

In his first 12 games they Won 1, Drew 3, and Lost 8, scoring just 11 and  conceding 26.....!

But they then won 7from  9 to stay up.

Curbs has repeatedly said the key was developing a settled system with the same players, something we haven't had until recently.

Just saying, even if we don't survive, things can start slowly and develop just as much as they can start quickly and develop.

• Like 1

Â