The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

We've conceded 12 goals in 7 matches under Garde. That is a 1.71 goal conceded ratio with Garde in charge.

Under Sherwood we conceded 16 goals in 10 matches. That is a 1.6 goal conceded ratio. 

We were actually better defensively under Sherwood.

We've scored 5 goals under Garde in 7 matches. 

We scored 9 goals under Sherwood in 12 matches.

There has been no progress so far. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

We've conceded 12 goals in 7 matches under Garde. That is a 1.71 goal conceded ratio with Garde in charge.

Under Sherwood we conceded 16 goals in 10 matches. That is a 1.6 goal conceded ratio. 

We were actually better defensively under Sherwood.

We've scored 5 goals under Garde in 7 matches. 

We scored 9 goals under Sherwood in 12 matches.

There has been no progress so far. 

Maybe that is because we have a shit team that Sherwood helped build ? you can't expect a manager to come in to a shit team and suddenly turn them in to professionals. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

That's a really good point Mark. Remi's the sort of manager we needed if say we'd be in a similar position to when we potted Lambert e.g; a point or two off escaping the bottom 3. As you saw with McLeish you can stay up drawing a shed load of games and winning the odd one.

We are just so far adrift though, eventually he'll have to do something random like go 4-4-2 or start 4 attacking players or something, we have to win some games soon. I have no problem with the effort the team are showing under him but sadly the quality Ayew and maybe now Veretout aside, simply isn't there.

We played 4-4-2 today with a diamond in midfield and Ayew floating. Agree with the rest though.

Although a little disappointed at the result I felt with a bit more luck we would have won comfortably today.

I also felt with Sanchez going of we looked weak in the centre again for a good 15mins and were back to individual stupidity, Hutton's closing down for the goal for a start. I also felt this was probably the reason he held back with the Adama sub so long as taking another one off out of Veretout,Westwood or Gana would leave us more exposed centrally and we were also in the ascendency. Players were shooting, fighting for the ball and each other and in turn got the fans going which created an excellent atmosphere second half.

All in all not the best result but positives again...Okore and Lescott are playing well together, which as needs must probably opens Richards up to coming back in as our RB,  Ayew is getting better as is Veretout, Guzan has stopped making silly errors-at least for now. Westwood looked better again today as did Gana as the game wore on.

IMO we need more pace up front in January to compliment Ayew. Gestede although an aerial threat just isn't quick enough to stretch teams and open gaps in the defence for the like of Gil and Veretout to expose. A midfield hardman and the LB situation remedied with Cissokho to come back which will give us more natural width down the left.

All in all I am happy with what Remi is doing and trust him to continue doing what he feels is necessary.

Bottom line is that we need wins and we're not getting them under Garde. He's not delivering what we need most, plus he didn't deliver what we really needed as soon as we appointed him, an instant impact. 

He has also had his share of winnable games, now some can make all the excuses in the world, but Watford, Newcastle and today against West Ham were all very much winnable in my book. Plus the Southampton game represented a massive opportunity, since they were on a very poor run, and were awful against us. 

The is also a very concerning trend under Garde that we only play well when we are losing. Most of the time we start games lacking aggression and ambition, it's only when we're a goal down that we become more tenacious and show genuine desire (and a tiny bit of quality) going forward. 

When our best stuff is invariably being played from losing positions, I'm sorry I just do not see much in the way of progress. Anyway, it's all academic as far as I'm concerned, I think we're dead and buried. I'm not going to be too keen to talk up 'progress' in a season where we're going down.

• Like 3

I know this has been discussed before, and I know its been given a short shrift, but IMO our weakest area is full back. Does anyone think a back 3 might suit our current squad?

33 minutes ago, av1 said:

I know this has been discussed before, and I know its been given a short shrift, but IMO our weakest area is full back. Does anyone think a back 3 might suit our current squad?

only if Richards is fit. Clark should get nowhere near the 1st team

we had 3 centre midfielders on for 80 minutes and should have took off Gil off as he looked awful. Gil for Traore and Veretout for Grealish would have gave us a 4-4-2 with width especially against a team who lacked ambition

no guts no glory

Â