The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

What negativity? I saw nothing of the sort today. I saw a measured, balanced performance against a side miles ahead of us in the table.

I wasn't a big fan a few weeks back, but now I'm quite bemused at the stick Garde is receiving on this forum. He inherited just about the biggest shambles in our history, he's taken a while to find his feet but we appear to be competitive again at least. We're probably going down, but when they do get that first win, soon, I expect they'll make a good fist of it.

He desperately needs a striker he can rely on though. That would be my number one priority. Because they're now creating enough to win games.

I guess people set their stalls out post Everton and now they're seeing it through.

Spot on Dave.

I thought it was negative against Southampton and Newcastle. I think he was more than happy to stick with the point. I thought today was much more positive but that doesn't mean we couldn't have tried to make changes to give us more opportunities to win the game. 

If we were sitting around 12th it wouldn't be a problem but rock bottom means we need to do more to get those 3 points. 

I love the idea that if you think we could be more attacking or use attacking subs you want some gung ho 4-2-4 all out, never defend, crazy attacking football. 

Yeah of course that's the case. 

I love the fact that the '4-2-4' post you're referring to didn't say anything about 'all out, never defend, crazy attacking football', which you have mentioned.

YEaH tHaTs ThE CaSE LOLOLLLLL1111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Citeh play 4-2-4 quite a bit, but real life 4-2-4 is a bit less crazy than Fifa 4-2-4. Incidentally I think it is a formation that would suit us.

Guzan

Hutton Richards Okore Amavi

Gana   Veretout

Gil                                Grealish

Gestede   Ayew

that's just a 4-4-2!

3 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I love the fact that the '4-2-4' post you're referring to didn't say anything about 'all out, never defend, crazy attacking football', which you have mentioned.

YEaH tHaTs ThE CaSE LOLOLLLLL1111111!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did I refer to just one post? Well done you. And brilliant use of of upper case, lower case and numbers to try and mock when you couldn't even work it out. Hilarious. 

2 hours ago, DeadlyDirk said:

The way I see it, under Garde we're creating a lot more chances and having a lot more shots on goal than when Big Eck was in charge, which is a positive. In a few of these games under him we've failed to win, we would have probably won had we a more clinical striker up top than Gestede. Now I know Gestede hasn't started all of his games so far, but has missed quite a few clear chances despite being a menace. A clinical striker, an upgrade in goal and a Defensive Midfielder should be the 3 priorities in the window. For me it should be Remy, Mandanda and Toulalan. We have Cissokho back who despite what people think is a solid player, when Richards is fit I think it's fair to say he may be given a go at Right Back, as for all of the gamesmanship, streetwise and aggression Alan Hutton brings, he's just not good enough in my opinion.

The other thing that irks me is that for the first time in years we have a manager who says to me "This is a long term project" - he's changing the way we play, settling down the squad and the performances are improving. We've had fire-fighting managers, Managers not up to the job and Managers who are still in the 20th century. We now have one that's from the 21st century and is trying to drag Villa up to speed on the playing side. He's done a lot so far that I agree with in a chin-stroking sort of way, and although we're in dire straights at the moment table wise, I think one win will be a springboard for the rest of the season. There's a new found spirit and belief in this Villa side, and I'll take gradual improvement with the modern way rather than the kick and rush, "get in to them you slaaaags", archaic type manager who can only deliver for a season at best before they run out of ideas, the ilk of a Pearson, Pulis, Allardyce, Sherwood et al.

Even if we do go down, Remi is still our man and we'll come back stronger than ever.

My view, 100%.

I reckon he has found his formula and will replace the personnel when the opportunity arises - maybe Sanchez or Westwood, maybe Gestede or Hutton too, but they are the best he has for now. I reckon he will build his team around Veretout and the energy of Ayew. Hopefully we will see some decent arrivals in January, and please make them on January 1st!

Edited by thunderball
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, a m ole said:

that's just a 4-4-2!

Hm kind of, it's more 4-2-2-2 but the front four are definitely a front four rather than a midfield four, you know?

I don't care like. What matters is getting the best out of what you have and I think that formation would do it for us.

I expect a phone call from Lerner about the vacant manager position at the end of the season.

Which posts were you referring to then Jonah? Please point out these unreasonable VTers which have jumped on a 'we should attack more' comment with responses of 'gung ho' and 'all out-ness'.

One post that I can find mentioned 4-2-4, and one post that I can find mentioned 'gung ho', which was a fairly reasonable response to someone else criticising a supposedly defensive line-up because it started with Sanchez, Westwood and Gana in midfield (I don't think that is defensive, as that's the kind of trio you need in a 4-3-3: mobile, passing ability and a bit of defensive solidity too, and had we won, the 4-3-3 would not have been viewed as defensive at all).

11 minutes ago, CarewsEyebrowDesigner said:

Hm kind of, it's more 4-2-2-2 but the front four are definitely a front four rather than a midfield four, you know?

I don't care like. What matters is getting the best out of what you have and I think that formation would do it for us.

I expect a phone call from Lerner about the vacant manager position at the end of the season.

I have to admit I didn't read the original debate so I don't know what context it is in!

Why couldn't you just post that first time? Why do you need to go out of your way to try and mock others? Also I never said anyone was unreasonable, not sure why you've decided to add that.

I'm not just talking about today. There were the posts you mentioned but there's been a bit of a theme at times to anyone who would like a more attacking approach or more attacking changes in certain games. I can't speak for others but I don't expect a ridiculous gung ho approach. I think we're desperate for points and think there's been attacking options we could have tried. 

Edited by DCJonah

Loved the formation changes today, suited us to have men in the box rather than play into it. Brave to swap Sanchez with Gil.

Shame Traore didn't really get a run out. plus the team must go the other way to allow him space but all in all a good performance at a horrific time for a draw....really need to start shooting though..just not Gueye.

5 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I'm just posting some stats. We need to get better defensively, but at the same time we aren't scoring. 

Ok, but here's the important stats:

Sherwood - 10 games, 1win, 1 draw, 8 losses

Garde - 7 games, 4 draws, 3 losses

lets see what the next three games bring before the jury returns its verdict, however you have to be particularly bloody minded if you fail to acknowledge there is an improvement under Garde?

• Like 2

On 25 December 2015 at 22:12, PaulC said:

Theres conflicting stories but his son is a big Villa fan. Anyway best to get the thread back on track. The next few games may well define Garde as a manager here. Yes he hasn't had much time but we need to show an improvement in results and performance from the previous manager even if staying up is a forlorn hope.

Andy Gray is an Andy Gray fan end of.

Great application though.

The other thing I'd add since Garde took over (other than the Everton game) is that even after going behind the guys still give it a go and you don't see many dropped heads.

The "here we go again" mentality seems to not be an issue for the players so much anymore. If only we could get some of that onto Villa message boards.......

My main question is:

if you're bringing Adama on with five minutes left - presumably to win the game - why are you not doing this earlier?

Tactically Garde was spot-on today. But we were flat for 15 minutes before Adama came on. Why not make that change sooner if that's what you're always going to do anyway? If you want to stick to your guns and keep faith in the system because you think Adama will create an imbalance - which you could easily argue he does - then stick to your team. I'm assuming they are all fit enough to complete 90 mins of Prem football after a week's rest.

I'm really not criticising Garde as a tactician - I just think he could really do with being more decisive and more aggressive when it's needed (aka: now).

Edited by gilbertoAVFC
  • Like 2

Â