The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

We're improving all the time. We absolutely dominated today and did well against Newcastle. We're now a decent team but we have no striker that's worth mentioning. It was obvious that we hadn't bought wisely in the summer in that respect. That's on the committee, whoever they were.

I'm still confused about Kozak. He's massively better than Gestede in every way, and we're desperate for a decent striker.

5 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I find it funny that people think if we get rid of Garde and get in yet ANOTHER manager people think things would magically get better?

We have to stick by him, it's too late in the day to do anything else. But he was emphatically the wrong choice after Sherwood. 

We've played reasonably well in the majority of games since he's been here, in my opinion. He's inherited a team with absolutely no confidence and the results just haven't been there as a result. He isn't responsible for Hutton being out of position for West ham's goal today, or Guzan making errors, or Gestede missing sitters. All the manager can truly do is put the team in the best possible position to win a game. It's up to the players to apply themselves and concentrate for the full 90.

1 minute ago, darrenm said:

I'm still confused about Kozak. He's massively better than Gestede in every way, and we're desperate for a decent striker.

I can see what you are saying but 2 managers fail to agree. They must be seeing something the fans aren't 

I thought it was best performance under him though it doesnt say much. Still organised in a shambolic way and again his subs were poor but we tried play football

BUT we are the most predictable team in league, pass around get it to Hutton and opposition get the ball back

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We have to stick by him, it's too late in the day to do anything else. But he was emphatically the wrong choice after Sherwood

What a ridiculous conclusion to come to after what, a month and a half? It's not like he walked into an easy situation. In fact, I can't think of a Villa manager who's had to come into a situation this bad before.

• Like 2

A win would be nice. 

He's getting there - you can't instantly turn around the abysmal form that Sherwood left. 

Hes done nothing different to Sherwood as it stands. Winless and failing to make positive subs or tactical decisions to WIN us games that we NEED to win to stay in this league.

Again, we're in a position where we have to go all out for wins, to get those wins you have to take risks and play your most attacking players at your disposal. Playing 4 CMs at home to West ham in a crucial game is a complete joke especially when you've got Gestede up top.

There has been some improvement but its not going to be enough to keep us up. I think he has his tactics wrong with Hutton being our main provider on the right as it leaves us so exposed down the right and Hutton is not the smartest of footballers. 

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

What a ridiculous conclusion to come to after what, a month and a half? It's not like he walked into an easy situation. In fact, I can't think of a Villa manager who's had to come into a situation this bad before.

or ANY manager, ever

Just now, Mantis said:

Not at all, all this praise he's getting is absolutely "ridiculous". The results speak for themselves, if you hadn't noticed at the time of his hiring (apparently you didn't by the way), we needed an instant impact, well he didn't deliver that at all. The results have been utterly horrendous. 

He's doing well and steadily improving things all over the pitch.

So funny how just because we NEED to win the guy gets it in the neck when we don't. How can some people see all kinds of improvements and others want him sacked ? Wierd game, football.

The change in formation in the first half was a mistake we paid, he went back to the diamond in the second half with Gil further up the pitch and we dominated. We threw everything at them and their keeper had what will likely be his best game in his carreer, but if you look at how we play now as opposed to how we played under Lambert there are massive improvements.

One criticisim I do have for him was the bench selection. I realize he doesn't rate Kozak, but you really need to have another striker in the bench. We had Gil, Sinclair, Grealish and Adama who can all play more or less in the same positions, but no strikers.

When it looked like Gestede had suffered an injury I feared that, had the injury been serious, we would've lost our shape.

2 minutes ago, Xela said:

I can see what you are saying but 2 managers fail to agree. They must be seeing something the fans aren't 

There is that. But I think managers can be a bit too sure that they know more than the layman about a player. They'll see someone in training missing everything and being a donkey, and refuse to acknowledge the actual results. There's one thing that no-one can argue against Kozak - wherever he's been he's scored goals. No amount of seeing something nuanced can negate that.

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not at all, all this praise he's getting is absolutely "ridiculous". The results speak for themselves, if you hadn't noticed at the time of his hiring (apparently you didn't by the way), we needed an instant impact, well he didn't deliver that at all. The results have been utterly horrendous. 

Just because I haven't gone into a knee-jerk reaction doesn't mean I didn't recognise what we needed. Of course that's what we "needed" but there are very few managers that would've been able to get that "instant impact" with the team in the state that it's been in this season. Maybe we should just get sacking managers, but then what happens if we don't get that "instant impact"?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, PaulC said:

There has been some improvement but its not going to be enough to keep us up. I think he has his tactics wrong with Hutton being our main provider on the right as it leaves us so exposed down the right and Hutton is not the smartest of footballers. 

Thing is, Hutton has always shown more pace going forwards than he has going back, so I'm not sure that's a Garde thing. He (hutton) clearly likes playing attacking football, and in a way I find it admirable that he always makes himself available. The problems with that are that it leaves us short at the back and it means that attacks break down because Hutton can't cross. For me, one of the most important things we can do during the transfer window is try to bring in a player who can cross the ball, especially if we're going to persist with Gestede.

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 1

Just now, Mantis said:

Just because I haven't gone into a knee-jerk reaction doesn't mean I didn't recognise what we needed. Of course that's what we "needed" but there are very few managers that would've been able to get that "instant impact" with the team in the state that it's been in this season. Maybe we should just get sacking managers, but then what happens if we don't get that "instant impact"?

What we get is what we have now. As I've said, sacking him now will not yield anything, it's too late, he was just the wrong appointment in the first place. 

Â