The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

26 minutes ago, Richard said:

Not Sherwood is the main qualification 

There could be a touch of this for some. I know many of us were of the belief, me included, that this was a half decent squad of players being poorly managed. Now for some of the same supporters it seems this is now a poor squad of players being correctly managed or being managed well enough to decide that the current manager has the job in 8 months time despite not having won a game yet and without a clue as to what will happen over the remaining 18 games of this season.

For what it is worth I now think this is a pretty poor squad of players. No worse than Norwich, no worse than Sunderland's, no worse than Bournemouths and arguably no worse than another 2 or 3 clubs though. That for me then means, just a it did under Sherwood, as we are averaging less than 0.5 points per game, that the manager is not getting anywhere near enough out of them.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 3

I don't think Remi is what we need currently! Same amount of points as sherwood after 10 games and we sacked sherwood!

i think we should act whilst there is chance of getting Moyes or Perason. They'll be better prepared to bring us back up next year. 

• Like 2

On 30 December 2015 at 13:34, Richard said:

This again.  A few things really with this, quite apart from the fact you say its been going on for 5 years and then blame it on one manager who wasnt here for 5 years. Presumably you mean Sherwood when you say worst manager in our history as in terms of team management it's his work really.

Anyway on the other bits, implied and explicit.

Had no problem with Paul Lambert - I criticised him loads for team selection and tactics so I did have problems with him. In general, however,  I happen to think he did a decent job in retaining pur premier league status given all the circumstances.  When he came to the club he was very much his own man but after 18 months or so when promises made didnt happen , or should I say expectations didnt materialise, he was in a no win situation and had to try and make the best of what he had. By the end he was broken and really we should all look on that with concern that our club and the way it was being run broke him. I know I do.  Does that mean he should still be manager? No.  It was the right decision at the time to replace him absolutely.  Does that mean I cannot criticise the current manager or hold an opinion? No and your inference is bollox. Paul Lambert was two managers ago! I think the fact that he has not gone to the press, or worse got his mates to spread stories for him, is very honourable and to be honest not sure if I would have done the same.

But he was two managers ago as I have said.

The issues of this football club are deeper than any manager and, although I think Garde is wrong for the club (I'll explain why for you shortly), people still focussing on one manager and not the real issue or thinking just replacing that one manager will solve anything , well they are utterly misguided. Now I see some people welcoming relegation as if it gives us the pheonix rising from the ashes moment. Like that is guaranteed.  How on earth are we expected to come back up and suddenly be competitive while we have this culture at the club.  We are performing below that standard now!  There are teams in that league who have been there for a while,  there are teams hoping to get out of it and there are teams hoping to stay in it.  We will struggle to compete with them.  There are not many who would not have won more than one game in the premier league this season. Sure we might come out of it but we will be going the wrong way ,  down not up.

On me being unfair on Garde. Really? I am giving my opinion on him.  I have said elsewhere I have no doubt he is a decent honourable and charming man. However,  and this is where we come to the real issue of problems with our club,  he is a man for those running the club he is not a man for the fans.  There is and has been for a while, a major disconnect with the hopes, ambitions, wants and goals of those running the club and those who despite it all continue to support it.  I'd suggest that it is poles apart at the minute. They want a man to come in and work to their philosophy which has failed and will fail.  We need a man to come in and make us a football club again,  one who knows what it is about being a football club and will compete. Axs long as this disconnect continues we will only be going one way as a team and as a club.  Changing the manager is no good as those who remain will continue to appoint in their image. Going down will not change it as those that remain will continue to run the club as they see fit, admitting no failure.  Especially as some fans carry on focussing on the manager.

Not much we can do about it I'm afraid as fans and that is the real big problem for us. In the days of Ellis we could campaign and campaign with the hope we could remove him as he was not the only shareholder. With this one its his toy ,  a toy that owes him a lot of money and which he would like to get back,  no matter how those that do not want to accept it try and qwrap up the fact he has loaned the club money,  he will want the majority of it back and thats why we are in debt. And thats why he is worse than Ellis.

So yes I supported Lambert,  not totally, and yes I thought it right for him to go when he did. That does not mean I cannot criticise Garde!

Requoted to try and help the education process

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, nnock1984 said:

I don't think Remi is what we need currently! Same amount of points as sherwood after 10 games and we sacked sherwood!

i think we should act whilst there is chance of getting Moyes or Perason. They'll be better prepared to bring us back up next year. 

I agree, but there is absolutely zero chance of us doing that. 

My French isn't the best, but this video strikes me as a man that could be quite formidable when riled. I think it's quite easy to see the calm persona he appears to have and just assume he's a doormat or 'rabbit in the headlights'. I don't think he is. To me he has an air of quiet confidence and isn't one to throw toys out of the pram or have childish tantrums. He's less showy than that. But as the video shows I don't think you'd want to cross him as a player under his management.

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

On the evidence so far, I certainly wouldn't give Garde too much money to spend in the January window. There's no sense at all he has a clue how to get us out of this so let's save the available money for a Championship-ready rebuild in the summer.

Seems to be popular nowadays to discount experience, relegation battle experience...championship experience, etc, etc.

The one thing that worries me a lot is a lack of experience in building a side, buying the right players, to get us out of the championship.

2 minutes ago, Neil said:

Seems to be popular nowadays to discount experience, relegation battle experience...championship experience, etc, etc.

The one thing that worries me a lot is a lack of experience in building a side, buying the right players, to get us out of the championship.

Don't worry chap, we have Paddy Reilly!

• Like 1

My French isn't the best, but this video strikes me as a man that could be quite formidable when riled. I think it's quite easy to see the calm persona he appears to have and just assume he's a doormat or 'rabbit in the headlights'. I don't think he is. To me he has an air of quiet confidence and isn't one to throw toys out of the pram or have childish tantrums. He's less showy than that. But as the video shows I don't think you'd want to cross him as a player under his management.

Yes, from all his interviews and press conferences I definitely get the impression he doesn't suffer fools lightly... eg. "professionals shouldn't need a kick up the ass" from last week

"th this one its his toy ,  a toy that owes him a lot of money and which he would like to get back,  no matter how those that do not want to accept it try and qwrap up the fact he has loaned the club money,  he will want the majority of it back and thats why we are in debt. And thats why he is worse than Ellis".

Come on then. Educate us. How much debt are we in? What are the yearly payments? How much interest is this debt accruing? What are the terms of the debt? What will happen to it when he sells the club? Will the club continue to pay it back?

Do tell. 

• Like 1

I think had we been a midtable side garde would be dieal, but relegation team no way. As much as I hate to say it I think Nigel pearson would hve been a far better appointment. He is a clown no question but he has experience in both leagues and I would have been confident coming straight up when we gone down. I dont think garde can do it, the players are just utter shite and you need a good man manager and i am not sure he fits that profile.

Just can't bear to enter into the silly "our best manager is/was/would be/could be" debate. All that strikes me as utter bollocks -- and has for the last eight months.

The pair of Americans running the club, with all due respect, don't seem to know how to run an English football club, or haven't the will to do what needs to be done.

I don't know how anyone could argue with that.

15 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

But the fans are angry!  We want someone who is angry too!  "We want pashun!"

Never mind a calm, considered exterior. It never works. I want someone who gets angry and shows it. Nigel Pearson, Tim Sherwood, Paolo Di Canio, Stuart Pearce, Paul Ince.  They've all had huge success, and in no small part because of their pashun.

And possibly with the exception of Pearson they were all shite managers for all their 'pashun'

6 minutes ago, samjp26 said:

For people who think he is a softy, in France it is apparently well known that he is a "calm to the public" character but behind closed doors very stern.

My old boss used to be a teacher and he told me once that the reason he gave it up was because the kids in the country he'd moved to  were so apathetic. When he was teaching kids in England he said they could be right little shits but if you could harness and redirect their energy it could be really fulfilling whereas the attitude in the new country was so apathetic they couldn't even be bothered to play up and give him a hard time. This team remind me of this all the time. They don't give a shit. It's no good shouting at them they don't care, their life is easy, loads of money, no particular attachment to the club, very little interest in each other, every time I see them play I have this image of disinterested teenagers slumped at their desk and staring out of the window. How on earth do you motivate a group like this? And how do we really build for the championship? We need to get rid of this bunch of f wits, but, regardless of the money, if we bring in a load of new players it will take time for them to gel, however we still need to go out and play every week which means it will be very hard for new players coming in not to get sucked into this vortex of losing. And again with Remi, the jury is out for me but I have no doubt that whatever his potential as manager it will be gone by the end of the season if things continue the way they are. Very dark days for us and unless something changes we're going to struggle next season as well. 

Â