The Rémi Garde thread

KJT123

one of the best defensive displays this year. he even had clark looking half decent!!

Calm down mate. I like the guy too but he's not some miracle man. ;)

I was delighted with the draw. 

To not concede against arguably the best team in the country, even though they were severely weakened up front without Aguero, Silva and of course they also lost Bony part way through too, was a fantastic achievement for Garde having had so little time to work with the squad.

Yes we had a splash of good fortune but as Garde correctly stated luck is earned it doesn't fall in your lap. I think the fact that we posed such little attacking threat was also significant as this effectively gave City free reign to attack us with all they had which they did do 2nd half and yet we still held out!

I liked the team set up and can only see lots of hope now rather that the black doom & gloom clouds which have been present since we got hammered at Southampton last season. Of course there is one heck of a lot of work to be done but i feel confident we have a chance now.

I just hope & pray we have finally found the manager to create something special long term here and that he doesn't see us as just a stepping stone but lets forget that for now and enjoy having finally seen a tiny speck of light at the end of a very long, very dark and very tragic tunnel.

Fully behind his starting XI.

Loved the first 5-10 mins of the game, yes there was no penetration but there was also no panicky aimless balls forward.

Fully behind his subs, both in terms of who went off and who came on, even Zog, strangely it felt like the right sub to make.

All easy to say when you've achieved a good result of course but 8/10 for me thus far.

Yesterday is a greta base to build on when you consider he has 2 weeks now before the next game.

I can't wait for the Everton match now. We'll probably be brought back down to earth with a bump knowing us, but I'm looking forward to seeing us play again

one of the best defensive displays this year. he even had clark looking half decent!!

both clark and richards, and Hutton tbf were outstanding.

Was delighted with yesterday. Man citeh were always going to create chances and on another day we lose 1/2 nil. However, for the vast majority of the game I thought we were pretty comfortable which is what impressed me. Had the pressure been relentless for 90 mins then we would have ran out of luck.

It was nice to see a team playing that can put 3 passes together and that can also, clear the ball from danger. 2 basic things we've continued to lack for years.

Bit concerned about the complete lack of goal threat but I saw the fight and desire that I expected and wanted to see.

• Like 3

both clark and richards, and Hutton tbf were outstanding.

Was delighted with yesterday. Man citeh were always going to create chances and on another day we lose 1/2 nil. However, for the vast majority of the game I thought we were pretty comfortable which is what impressed me. Had the pressure been relentless for 90 mins then we would have ran out of luck.

It was nice to see a team playing that can put 3 passes together and that can also, clear the ball from danger. 2 basic things we've continued to lack for years.

Bit concerned about the complete lack of goal threat but I saw the fight and desire that I expected and wanted to see.

I think we need to focus on being comfortable with the ball first and once that happens I think we will see more goals. We never usually hold the ball for that long in games and to do that against probably the best team in the country at the moment is very re-assuring. 

Was really impressed how good the passing was yesterday. Its nice to actually watch your team play for once and not always watching the opposition holding the ball

I was buzzing yesterday but after re-watching the match this morning and also the comments of the press guys on Sunday Supplement, I've been trying to reassess the situation without my Villa-tinted spectacles on

Firstly, I like what I've seen of Garde so far - calm, assured, professional.  A massive change from Sherwood. I don't know a lot about him really and I'm somewhat concerned both that he has been out of the game for 18 months and also that he left Lyon supposedly due to the mounting pressure, both red flags for me.   I'll be happier when the remainder of his coaching staff turn up (perhaps once Lyon are out of Europe).  However, he absolutely has my full support and I feel that he might be the man we are waiting for. Time will tell. 

It was a little concerning that the Sunday Supplement guys were pretty unanimous that he was a "bad appointment" - we can dismiss their view all we like, but they watch a lot of football and speak to a lot of people. I'm in the VT bubble and have been carried away by the positivity here but it will take a few results like yesterday to make the nagging fears go away

Secondly, we were really really lucky to come away yesterday with a point - two or three-nil would not have been an unfair result.  Some will say "You make your own luck"  or "the harder we work the luckier we get" and I get that but notwithstanding we were very very lucky.

The press guys were also adamant that we had wasted £55m in the summer - on this, even without my villa googles - I'm not so sure.  Given the chance to play and a manager with a bit of confidence in them I think we saw the first signs of what kind of players they could be.  Vertout, Gana, Ayew and Amavi all showed glimpses of what they can deliver. They all need work, especially Amavi in defence, but against the Bournemouth's, Norwich's, WBAs of this world I think they will show their worth.  

A little off the wall but I would be tempted to bring Cissoko back and try Amavi in MF in front of him? Who knows

We could do with strengthening in a number of positions (GK, CB, RB) but if I was Garde, I would push the boat out in January to bring in a mobile Benteke/Bony-type CF (much easier said than done).  Maybe Remi can plug into his knowledge of French football and uncover a gem

All in all a decent (but lucky) start. I'd love Remi to prove the media guys and ex-pros wrong.  We need to target 4 points from the next two games to keep the momentum going.

I was buzzing yesterday but after re-watching the match this morning and also the comments of the press guys on Sunday Supplement, I've been trying to reassess the situation without my Villa-tinted spectacles on

Firstly, I like what I've seen of Garde so far - calm, assured, professional.  A massive change from Sherwood. I don't know a lot about him really and I'm somewhat concerned both that he has been out of the game for 18 months and also that he left Lyon supposedly due to the mounting pressure, both red flags for me.   I'll be happier when the remainder of his coaching staff turn up (perhaps once Lyon are out of Europe).  However, he absolutely has my full support and I feel that he might be the man we are waiting for. Time will tell. 

It was a little concerning that the Sunday Supplement guys were pretty unanimous that he was a "bad appointment" - we can dismiss their view all we like, but they watch a lot of football and speak to a lot of people. I'm in the VT bubble and have been carried away by the positivity here but it will take a few results like yesterday to make the nagging fears go away

Secondly, we were really really lucky to come away yesterday with a point - two or three-nil would not have been an unfair result.  Some will say "You make your own luck"  or "the harder we work the luckier we get" and I get that but notwithstanding we were very very lucky.

The press guys were also adamant that we had wasted £55m in the summer - on this, even without my villa googles - I'm not so sure.  Given the chance to play and a manager with a bit of confidence in them I think we saw the first signs of what kind of players they could be.  Vertout, Gana, Ayew and Amavi all showed glimpses of what they can deliver. They all need work, especially Amavi in defence, but against the Bournemouth's, Norwich's, WBAs of this world I think they will show their worth.  

A little off the wall but I would be tempted to bring Cissoko back and try Amavi in MF in front of him? Who knows

We could do with strengthening in a number of positions (GK, CB, RB) but if I was Garde, I would push the boat out in January to bring in a mobile Benteke/Bony-type CF (much easier said than done).  Maybe Remi can plug into his knowledge of French football and uncover a gem

All in all a decent (but lucky) start. I'd love Remi to prove the media guys and ex-pros wrong.  We need to target 4 points from the next two games to keep the momentum going.

I try not to worry about what ex pros and the media say, I recall similar comments when Pochetino replaced Adkins, and even when Wenger was bought in back in the 90's. I am not saying Garde is going to do as well as those two guys, but he already strikes me as an improvement on what we had previously. We can only go on what we see, and so far he has said and shown things that make me believe he knows what he is doing, whereas Sherwood never convinced me that he had any substance behind the media friendly frontage.

Also, the media was where Sherwood played his best game, so maybe some of the guys on the Sunday supplement panel have been pally with Sherwood and fed lines which has helped them form their opinons. Anyway, time will tell on whether Garde is the correct appointment, it is too early to tell for certain but I know I feel more confident now than I did after Sherwoods first game as TS never 100% convinced me that he knew what he was doing.

He showed more managerial nous with the team sheet yesterday than Sherwood ever did throughout his time here.

Once we kicked off I can comfortably say we looked to have tactical shape and discipline that I haven't seen in years; we could quite easily have lost it sure but at least it looked like we had a plan out there as opposed to "well just go out and score and keep them out"

Regarding the international break can we not just withdraw players or keep them back? We are bottom of the league with a new manager I'm sure international managers would understand the situation, that said i'm not sure we would lose that many anyway.

There's a reason that those Sunday Supplement guys work for the Sunday Supplement, it's because they would be **** professional football managers.

• Like 1

NeilS....like you I take the media view with a pinch of salt but their comments did make me re-assess my ultra positive take on things. Like you I'm just glad to see the back of Sherwood - a really bad appointment from day one

There's a reason that those Sunday Supplement guys work for the Sunday Supplement, it's because they would be **** professional football managers.

They spend their entire lives in press conferences, talking to those in the game and watching matches so I'm not so quick to dismiss their view.  I respect the view of a lot of those who appear on SS (some notsomuch) They get lots of things right but many things wrong too - I hope (and think) that they are wrong about Remi

I've got no idea how after 1 game they can decide he is a bad appointment considering its widely accepted that he did a very good job at Lyon.

I'd be interested to know who they thought would have been better. I bet they are British......

• Like 1

Â